Notices

SRW Tire Blowout!

Old 05-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts
Smile SRW Tire Blowout!

Loaded pretty tall and heavy, Cruise on 70mph, holding and talking on the phone (bluetooth just disconnected, POS has a mind of its own), looking at a craigslist add on the laptop, 2 fingers on the steering wheel, BOOM, tire blows out! Bumpy, noisy, and lots of smoke, but no problems. Truck and trailer drove straight and stable. Felt a little "loose" or "squirly" but no worse then driving over some of these old bumpy freeways we have in this country! I just slowed down and pulled onto the shoulder. changed it out with my matching spare and went on our way.
Not looking to start a debate over DRW vs SRW. Just sharing my personal experience with others. I know some have said that a blow out on a SRW will cause an accident. Obviously it does not. Now if ANY truck has a steer blow out, that might cause problems......

Old 05-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Loaded pretty tall and heavy, Cruise on 70mph, holding and talking on the phone (bluetooth just disconnected, POS has a mind of its own), looking at a craigslist add on the laptop, 2 fingers on the steering wheel, BOOM, tire blows out! Bumpy, noisy, and lots of smoke, but no problems. Truck and trailer drove straight and stable. Felt a little "loose" or "squirly" but no worse then driving over some of these old bumpy freeways we have in this country! I just slowed down and pulled onto the shoulder. changed it out with my matching spare and went on our way.
Not looking to start a debate over DRW vs SRW. Just sharing my personal experience with others. I know some have said that a blow out on a SRW will cause an accident. Obviously it does not. Now if ANY truck has a steer blow out, that might cause problems......

Who needs a tire blow out for a wreck.......you sound unsafe on the road no matter what!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Who needs a tire blow out for a wreck.......you sound unsafe on the road no matter what!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Registered

Not sure how to take your comment buts its all good anyways!

Over 1 Million accident free miles speaks for itself.......

Phantom...have you ever talked on your cell phone while driving? 100% of the time do you hold the wheel at 10 and 2? Have you ever looked down at the radio or changed the station? Held a drink to take a sip, or eat something?

The majority of the time I am using my Bluetooth, (kenwood DNX6160 in dash Nav), which comes through the trucks speakers leaving my ears free to listen to the road, and am not playing with the radio or looking at the computer.

One thing I am strongly against is texting and driving. My Co-pilot/Girl gets annoyed when I get texts and she has to respond for me!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here we go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Im glad it happened on just the rear tire for you...the front tire is the exact opposite with that load. I have 3 srw and 1 dually and the dually is slightly better at controlling the load...but I like you prefer my srw trucks.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost 3 hours and no rebuttal from Sydwayz yet, where is he?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But you said "looking at a craigslist add on the laptop", then you say "and am not playing with the radio or looking at the computer". Glad you made out ok, but I'm confused...
Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,207 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by 509 SC
Almost 3 hours and no rebuttal from Sydwayz yet, where is he?
Nort covered.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CrownHawg
But you said "looking at a craigslist add on the laptop", then you say "and am not playing with the radio or looking at the computer". Glad you made out ok, but I'm confused...
You must have not read the part "the majority of the time"

TO help clarify, most professional drivers, truck, police, fire, have a laptop mounted on a swivel mount between the front seats. Just like the police, sometimes you need to use multiple devices to complete your job while driving. I am very fortunate to have a co-pilot do most things for me. When the blowout happened, I was on the phone with a friend who wanted to buy something on craigslist and asked for my advice. Kristy looked up the ad, read it to me, and turned the computer towards me to view, at the same time the bluetooth disconnected, so I picked up the phone itself (could not re connect till after the call).

Like any driver, I have distractions on the road. Even if they only happen once in a while, things like to go wrong at the Worst time!

GPS, Radio, Looking at a sweet boat passing by, Checking out my Girls chest, Just normal DISTRACTIONS!

Point being, EVEN with multiple distractions, a SRW truck does not lose control and rollover like many have thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.