Notices

09 gmc alternator?

Old 05-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 09 gmc alternator?

Just wondering if any of you have any experience with the volt meter moving from high to low and back. The manual say it is fine just want to see if any of you have had this happen. It`s an 09 GMC 1500 flex fuel.

Thanks for any feed back

mark
Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did it all the time.. Seems to be a Chevy thing. Would sit lower at idle then come up when moving.. Nothing wrong with the alternator or the battery.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

good to know it`s new to me just seems odd, but have been doing alot of reading on it just not used to having a gauge move that much

thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

i would have the battery checked..sounds like a cell is starting to go south,,all it will do is take out the alternator then you will have to replace both..i should not move that much unless the battery is chit..
Old 05-18-2012, 05:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the battery in mine when I thought something was up with it.. Tested the alternator.... Nothing... I asked other Chevy/GM truck owners about it too and it seems a lot of people had the same thing going on. If you check the alternator under the hood and not just the gauge, you will notice that it is not actually fluxing that much. The gauge movement kind of "plays a trick" on you. Testing under the hood didnt show as much change as the gauge was making me believe.