Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
New 2012 Silverado 3500 platform?????? >

New 2012 Silverado 3500 platform??????

Notices

New 2012 Silverado 3500 platform??????

Old 06-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more thing... if you have EOH brakes on your trailer the 2012 OEM trailer brake adjuster on the dash by your left knee won't talk to the popular Titan brand EOH pumps. You'll require a piggyback box for the pump that you need to wire inline beside the EOH pump on your trailer.

They aren't expensive, I think $65 from etrailer dot com

Just a heads up, I found out the hard way.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:30 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie17
One more thing... if you have EOH brakes on your trailer the 2012 OEM trailer brake adjuster on the dash by your left knee won't talk to the popular Titan brand EOH pumps. You'll require a piggyback box for the pump that you need to wire inline beside the EOH pump on your trailer.

They aren't expensive, I think $65 from etrailer dot com

Just a heads up, I found out the hard way.

Thanks for that heads up; that may have saved me some pucker time.
I think Ford still has a leg up on GM with the brake controller.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
23k is the gooseneck rating but, in 2011 GM finally installed a rear hitch with non-weight distributing rating of 13k (closer to what people actually use it for). Prior, non-weight distributing was only 7500#/750 tongue, which is a joke for a HD.
GM still did not go as far in communicating proper loads as Ford did, where they actually specify on the hitch not only the WD / nonWD values but also derated values if the 2" adapter sleve is used.
What really pisses a guy off is when he can bolt on a 2" Curt rated to 17k at the bumper for less than $200 shipped. That means GM is handicaping an owner of a $40-70k truck and skimping on less than $25 steel.
The bigger problem becomes finding a ball mount / ball that are rated for more than 7.5k-12k. Walmart or many trailer stores dont stock things that heavy (read - expensive)

Like Jassman, The big bump in max load came with the new frame and front end in 2011. The internals of both the Dmax and Allison also received some improvements but only the Allison changes would be directly tow related.
GM also increased the GVWR over 9900 to acheive these higher ratings which caused tagging/tax heart burn in some states.

Yes, that de-rated hitch stuff makes no sense and I agree cheats the buyer.

My towing will be largely gooseneck so my Curt 30K lbs hide a ball system is good for the hook up. The other add on's I'm planning will cover all the other bases pretty well.

I don't think I'm ready for the Urea and fuel loss for diesel emissions. That is my money and I'm keeping it. Maybe I'm a tight wad but before I spend money for the pleasure of the EPA all my pleasure must be met first.

Thanks for all the input here guys. I consider it helpfull.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Thanks for that heads up; that may have saved me some pucker time.
I think Ford still has a leg up on GM with the brake controller.
I saw somewhere online the new Ford also has the same issue with the Titan EOH pump and requires something similar.

I think there are always compromises with each brand of truck. Gets down to personal preference on what you want to deal with.

Good luck.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie17
I saw somewhere online the new Ford also has the same issue with the Titan EOH pump and requires something similar.

I think there are always compromises with each brand of truck. Gets down to personal preference on what you want to deal with.

Good luck.

I can just throw this item in my stack of things that I don't want to deal with. I would have to add a brake controller either way it seems so my current truck would be just as or easier than a new one.

Plus my issues with emissions etc my old truck looks better and better. My beefs could be called small fish but so is the cost of mods for my truck to be at or above the level of a new one compared to a new purchase.

Ford added the brake controller in the dash long before GM did. I thought GM was really slipping on that one.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"...Personally I think the Dodge is pretty hideous..." frickstyle

I think it's the best looking of the three. The dually is awesomely handsome.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:31 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly.

Both the Ford and GM have a brake controller in the dash from the factory. The issue is on the new trucks they don't communicate with the Titan EOH pump without a piggyback box wired into the trailer beside the pump.

The issue isn't necessarily the fault of Ford or GM, just a minor issue with compatability that can be easily solved with a $65 part.

Lol... I think we have beat this to death now.