Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Triple Axle Trailer Load Distribution >

Triple Axle Trailer Load Distribution

Notices

Triple Axle Trailer Load Distribution

Old 08-08-2012, 04:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Triple Axle Trailer Load Distribution

Replacing bearings on trailer, it looks like the front two axles are taking most of the load, the bearings were in really bad shape and grease washed out/overheated.
The rear axle bearings still had water in the bearing caps, but the bearings were not as worn as the front two.
Will moving boat back on trailer or raising hitch height (or both) on truck help even out the load on bearings?
The trailer has always towed great, no swaying, very stable.
Thanks in advance
Old 08-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
Replacing bearings on trailer, it looks like the front two axles are taking most of the load, the bearings were in really bad shape and grease washed out/overheated.
The rear axle bearings still had water in the bearing caps, but the bearings were not as worn as the front two.
Will moving boat back on trailer or raising hitch height (or both) on truck help even out the load on bearings?
The trailer has always towed great, no swaying, very stable.
Thanks in advance
hitch height is the major factor here,people dont realise how much strain the front axle takes when the trailer is not level with the truck's hitch height..the bumper on the truck could be saggin but always make sure the trailer is level..also with the trailer not being completely level will also cause excessive tire ware and could even bend and twist axles..
Old 08-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with sagging not level trailer.
You can easily check for level with the boat and trailer hooked to the tow vehicle sitting on a straight level surface. With a measuring tape check the distance from the ground to the bottom of the trailer frame both at the rear of the trailer and at the front or near the hitch. Compare these two measurements for a reference of level towing.
Adjust as needed.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spring or torsion ?
springs will equal out the load to a point on the axles.
Torsion, trailer has to be level. When you go over uneven ground with torsion it is real easy to have tires off the ground.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Leaf springs, I'll check for for level.
Have one of those aluminum adjustable hitches so I can raise and lower
Ball height easily. By eye it always looked very close to level, but bearing wear told
Another story. Thanks
Old 08-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had a bearing issue.... but I have noticed less tire wear on my third/rear axle. When empty the rear tires don't touch the ground, even above a level hitch height.
I've always suspected an uneven or 'bound-up' shackle issue not letting it float correctly.
But- on the other hand I've always wondered if it was designed that way to be more of a 'helper axle' when fully loaded.
It is rated for 10.5K, 3 x 3500lb axles, Tow-master.