Notices

Duraburb...

Old 08-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dd24skater
just bought a used 7.3 excursion a month ago.....so far love it!
Thats a killer package! It would have been my first choice over the burb. I have a one toned Burb with a 454, 4l80e, np205, 14 blt ff in rear and dana 60 up front. It will pull just about anything at 6 mpg. Lol! I love it though! I will probably do a cummins swap in the future unless diesel prices continue to go up.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
I thought too this was about a D-Suburban conversion lol
My error for making the ASSumption it was a conversion piece. Those were some hot numbers to pull by adding the second turbo. We are seeing more gas applicaitons with the TT as they try to squeeze more hp from every cubic inch (Liter).
Its neat to say "strap on the second turbo and watch these numbers from an otherwise stock motor". Its another to have the entire drive line hold together. With that kind of boost and hp, head studs and probably more internals will be necessary as is a very stout Allison mod that will set a person back more. All told, there needs to be about $10k spent before thinking about that kind of hp.

Sorry to send the thread in a different direction.

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Have you owned a Suburban? It is the same as the comparable truck as far as chassis. My 2500 truck vs my 2500 Burb, with the same drivetrain, only differed in tow rating by the difference of the body weight. The suspensions were the same but the Burb rode smoother due to the body weight and distribution.
If it had a Dmax in the Burb it would be so much smoother, powerful, stable, efficient, etc,etc.
My dad's camper trailer didn't squat my 2500 Burb but his F350 squat 4". That is softer springs than my Burb but a dually has 3 stage springs and a Burb does not.
Those were nice stories about 'burbs in the last century, fast forward 20+ years to today's models I got off track from the original thread refering to with duraburb retro fit.

For the record I owned a '94 1500 350sb. I also briefly looked at them againin 2007 when making my last purchase. I listed my points against the suburban and why other options are stronger unless the 3rd row passenger seat is truely needed. (In the 5 years I owned my suburban, it was used twice)

Just to prove my point on capacity; Click on the "dimmensions" tab.......... http://www.chevrolet.com/tools/compa...331907&sValue=

A decked out 2500 4wd suburban and crew sb weigh the same 6400#
Both are rated to tow the same #9500 at the bumper with 3.73 gears but the Truck has 1000# more GVWR due to heavier front and rear springs (as I said originally; front 4500; (axle only rated 4200) vs 4800, rear 5500 vs 6200)

Even more significant, the wheelbase on the suburban is only 130" vs 153" on CCsb and 168" on the CCLB. A vehicle can have great horsepower and sufficient straight line stopping power with brakes and even electric trailer brakes but TOWING involves maintaining control of the load at all times.
This is the difinitive edge a truck has over an suv. Especially with a bumper tow, the softer suspension WILL compress more which can start the momentum of failure. Also a longer wheelbase will keep a rig tracking smoother with less push in those sketchy situations like corners, trailer wag and slick conditions.

Suburbans are nice vehicles and proven themselves adequate tow vehicles over the years if for no other reason, their sheer mass but dont try to make them do more than they are capable due to the laws of physics. There is a reason Jeep does not use a v8 like the old CJ's just like gm does not offer the 4.10 rear for the suburban like they do for truck that increases bumper tow to 13,000#.
I towed my 7k boat/trailer with both the suburban and truck, there is NO comparison. My current 2500 CCLB is so far beyond, my words will just stop........

Last edited by ChargeIt; 08-14-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

chevy.com says 9600lbs. anyways your standard 4x4 one before any goodies is 51k. Unless you truley needed the third row, you can get super cab, whatever 4 door truck decked out for 5-10k cheaper that either tows the same or better. And will get better MPG. Burbs and others like serve a purpose for the family that hs 4-5 kids and tons of junk to haul. But really I think the concept is outdated and that is why you see fewer and fewer on the roads.

really look at the excursions numbers in 2003 they were only towing up 11k which isnt anything better than what some gassers on the market offer today
Old 09-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Registered

I have one of the few GMC Yukon XL2500, 8,1 with the right axles to make it legally tow 12K. My boat and trailer weighs in at 11.660 lbs and I will own that truck until it falls apart or I die. Best vehicle I ever had period ! I towed my boat from the west coast to the east coast and tow it around all over Florida now and never had an issue or ever felt unsafe. I also have 20" rims with tires rated for the weight and the boat is placed on the trailer so as to optimize the weight distribution. As for mileage...... Well, I wouldn't be on here if I really cared anyway, would I?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kims
I have one of the few GMC Yukon XL2500, 8,1 with the right axles to make it legally tow 12K. My boat and trailer weighs in at 11.660 lbs and I will own that truck until it falls apart or I die. Best vehicle I ever had period ! I towed my boat from the west coast to the east coast and tow it around all over Florida now and never had an issue or ever felt unsafe. I also have 20" rims with tires rated for the weight and the boat is placed on the trailer so as to optimize the weight distribution. As for mileage...... Well, I wouldn't be on here if I really cared anyway, would I?
X2 I have the 2500 Avalanche. Tows the Chris Cat great. I get a lot of comments on my boat.

Wannabe
Old 09-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kims
I have a 2004 3/4 burb - 8.1L - 3.73's. Tow my 31' TT that weighs 10,000 loaded and it tows like a dream with all 9 kids and the wife in it (12 passenger). 8.25 mpg on the highway in the hills of PA loaded, 14 mpg on the highway without trailer. It really is an impressive package for a basic V8 gas truck. I would love to find a 1 ton passenger van with the 8.1L, not many out there.

Brian
Old 09-19-2012, 03:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

I would love to find a 1 ton passenger van with the 8.1L, not many out there.

Brian[/QUOTE]

I have one in the fleet. It rocks! Just the reg van not the extended. Dont think it can handle the Cig tho.
lady had it built to haul her Harley trailer around the country. 02 w only 75K or so.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Registered

That truck is gonna fly

Last edited by Gibbs93; 09-20-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a fun post.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
There was a thread here a while back of someone doing the conversion.

Pesonally, I think it is a stupid waste from any practical point and a BAD idea if someone thinks they can tow heavier with it.
Subruban suspensions are set much softer with a shorter wheel base than a comperable truck, neither is a good tow characteristic.

A person can get almost the same look (and less $$) installing a quality cab high topper like ARE on a crew cab.
Better suspension, higher legal tow rating, more cargo space, bed area can stay nice and clean but if something nasty is hauled, the passenger seating is not affected.
I think this is the thread your referring too.http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...amax-swap.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.