Notices

Boat sits 8in off trailer??

Old 08-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

put it on your truck and measure to the ground from the trailer in the front and back or place a level on it. You should be able to see if its riding hard on that first axle
Old 08-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s022mag
I have a tandem axle MYCO trailer for my 88' Formula 311. The axles are rated at 6k each with 8 lug 10 ply rims and tires.... I'm just worried about tongue weight because the tongue seems heavy enough already. It doesn't make the truck squat just impossible to move around by hand when lining up the hitch, I basically have to be dead on.

Anyone have this same setup? I'll post some pics as soon as I get to a PC. Wish I could up load from my iPhone.
You didn't mean to, but you wrote some of the most humorous words I've read in this section.

There is no way you should be able to move the tongue of a loaded 10,000 lb trailer by hand. Rules of thumb are about 10% of the total trailer weight on the tongue. Some say 5% is ok on a boat trailer as the trailer axles are far back compared to most trailers. So, your tongue should weigh 500-1000 pounds.

Yes, it's best if the bunks go all the way to the transom. Yes, you have room to move the boat forward on the trailer.

BUT, you need to stop guessing around here. Take the boat and trailer to a truck stop scales where they weigh the front, rear, and trailer axles individually. Then drop the trailer in the lot, and reweigh the truck without the trailer. (Some say drop the trailer on the scales, but don't tie it up for that long, as the professional drivers need fast access to the scales so they can make a living.)

By doing math, you can figure out how much the tongue weighs. Determine the difference in weight on the steering axle with a trailer and without. Subtract that from the loaded weight of the drive axle, and then subtract the weight of the drive axle without the trailer, and you'll have the tongue weight of the boat and trailer. If it's around 10% of the trailer axle weight, than extend the bunks back. If it's under 10%, move the boat forward and reweigh. May have to do this a few times to get a nice pulling trailer, but it's worth it.

Got any pictures of the rear bunks and how they attach to the trailer?
Old 08-25-2012, 01:50 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line is that your transom NEEDS to be supported or you run the possibility of developing a hook in the bottom of your hull or worse. Your transom is only about 3" thick and carries the bulk of the engine and torque load. My solution to your issue would be to extend the rear bunks long enough to carry the transom ven if they stick out beyond the rear end of the trailer, however that would indicate that your trailer might be a little undersized. The load of the boat should be relatively balanced front to rear over the axles with a slight forward weight of 10% to keep it planted on the tow vehicle.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s022mag
HAHA, but seriously how can I tell what's to much forward and what's just right?
This is the only good way to determine tongue weight. Yes tongue weight is incredibly important for safety. http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

Also, you cannot go by how much tongue weight another boat/ trailer combo produces. Every time you add equipment, have a low or full gas or water tank, etc, the tongue weight will change. The $100 cost for the scale is well worth it. With it you will be able to determine a winch post location that will work for your boat under your conditions. Safe Trailering.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer

Originally Posted by Chart
You didn't mean to, but you wrote some of the most humorous words I've read in this section.

There is no way you should be able to move the tongue of a loaded 10,000 lb trailer by hand. Rules of thumb are about 10% of the total trailer weight on the tongue. Some say 5% is ok on a boat trailer as the trailer axles are far back compared to most trailers. So, your tongue should weigh 500-1000 pounds.

Yes, it's best if the bunks go all the way to the transom. Yes, you have room to move the boat forward on the trailer.

BUT, you need to stop guessing around here. Take the boat and trailer to a truck stop scales where they weigh the front, rear, and trailer axles individually. Then drop the trailer in the lot, and reweigh the truck without the trailer. (Some say drop the trailer on the scales, but don't tie it up for that long, as the professional drivers need fast access to the scales so they can make a living.)

By doing math, you can figure out how much the tongue weighs. Determine the difference in weight on the steering axle with a trailer and without. Subtract that from the loaded weight of the drive axle, and then subtract the weight of the drive axle without the trailer, and you'll have the tongue weight of the boat and trailer. If it's around 10% of the trailer axle weight, than extend the bunks back. If it's under 10%, move the boat forward and reweigh. May have to do this a few times to get a nice pulling trailer, but it's worth it.

Got any pictures of the rear bunks and how they attach to the trailer?
I always heard 10- 15 % on the tongue, My old Myco with a 302 SR1 had 1200lbs on the tongue - had a 1ton Chevy 2 wheel drive - and was glad for the weight. Gave me better traction on the ramps. Note - Too much weight on the ball ,with no equilizer bars - WILL reduce your front brakeing ability ! No 1/2 ton truck