Notices

Wheel Temp. Question ?

Old 08-23-2012, 05:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Temp. Question ?

Yesterday I towed my 35' Sonic on my 2011 Ace Aluminium trailer. I towed about 31 miles, mostly highway at about 50mph. Tire pressure is at 80lbs on every tire as per tire spec. and trailer builder. After I arrived at my marina I immediatly got out of the truck and checked all my wheel temps and tire temps. My 1st question is what is a normal operating temp. for wheels to be after or during a tow ? Second question is about my findings, both rear tires and wheels were at 105, both middle wheels were at 100, and both front wheels were at 95. Now I am sure that the consistency from left to right is a good sign, but should they be equal from front to rear ? My thinking is that I may have more weight on my rear wheels then the front and need to lower my hitch a bit. Or is this normal ? Any insight would be appreciated.........Thanks.

Last edited by Here's Johnny; 08-23-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Registered

I agree with you. Try lowering the hitch and see if that makes a difference.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Registered

The trailer should be as close to level as possible when towing. The temp difference is the load and braking force. Lower the hitch and recheck the level of the trailer then road test.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Wheel temp or tire temp?

FWIW, I measure everything; hub, brake rotor, caliper, wheel, and tire.

A hotter wheel probably indicates the brakes are working harder on that axle, vs. heavier weight.
A hotter tire probably indicates the tires are bearing more weight.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if all the wheels dont have brakes then I would expect the ones that do to be hotter. Also you will probably never get a boat trailer completely perfect/or the boats center gravity wont be perfect, so I wouldnt think a 100% uniform temp. With those small differences I wouldnt be worried.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Registered

all wheels do have brakes and it is an EOH system...... I do agree that it is high expectations to get every wheel exactly the same but the circumstance of a 5 degree increse from back to middle to front on both sides made me wonder. Also, from what I have read on OSO these temps are low and that is a good thing for sure. Next time I tow I will use my hitch that is flat instead of my hitch that raises the trailers height.......my drop hitch made the trailer way too low which was way more obvious to the eye.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah you are talking less than 10% variation I wouldnt worry. Being only 100 degrees is not bad, factoring in that the ambient temp is already 80-90 probably.