Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   EcoBoost like expectancy (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/286336-ecoboost-like-expectancy.html)

575cat 10-31-2012 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by mpally (Post 3795198)
We had to have new pistons and rings put in our Suburban with 50,000 miles on it. Chevy still hasn't worked the bugs out of the 5.3L with the Active Fuel Management. When it shuts down the 4 cylinders, oil from the 4 cylinders that are running slings oil into the inactive 4 cylinders which caused oil to get past the rings. We were using oil and had blue smoke out the tailpipe. Luckily it was covered under the 100,000 warranty. However, if it wasn't, I wouldn't have a good feeling if I had to fork over money to have this work done after spending all the money to buy the Suburban. I don't understand why Ford doesn't offer the 100,000 warranty like GM. It would give me a lot more comfort with the new motor.

GM wont cover the 5.3 with weeping head issue , replace some sets w less than 50k on them sent out the door from GM w this millage they couldnt help .

soldier4402 10-31-2012 10:11 AM

Remember Ford always had the 60k warranty as far as I know. Secondly the 5.0 is new and unproven as well if you want to look at it that way. Also you do have 5 years/ 60k for something to go wrong. I have not heard of anybody having problems. I got 15k on mine no issue and two buddies with about the same and no issue. What I have seen is issues with the tranny, but that tranny is in all of the trucks and really arent issues just people not liking how the 6spd operates.

Ill admit I am an eco boost fist pumper but if you dont tow the MPG over the 5.0 is only mariginal but if your going to keep it a long time it will make up for the almost 1000 bucks the eco cost over the 5.0.

In the end who keeps vehicles over 100k anymore, to me I dont really care to keep a vehicle out of warranty anymore. I carry enough equity in my trucks that my payments are low, and I always have a reliable vehicle with no maint cost. The eco isnt entirely new the base 3.5l is just about in every other ford car out there.

Wildman_grafix 10-31-2012 12:17 PM

A lot of people keep vehicles over 100k now, satistics show people keeping them longer. Unless you live in japan, they don't want old vehicles there.

When most vehicles don't even need a tune up other then oil and air filter changes why not? It's nice when you are not paying loan interest, no matter how low it is.

I am old enought to remember when most people DIDN'T keep them after 100k becuase they would be unreliable or rusted away, not any more.

jmeng 10-31-2012 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Baja_342 (Post 3806357)
Don't understand why Ford doesn't put this application in the Expedition / Navigator platforms.

I asked the same question when I was shopping for my wifes Expedition a couple of months ago. From what I saw on the forums, Ford is expected to put the new drivetrains in the SUV's starting with the 2014 or 15 model years. Tried to get my wife to wait but no luck. :D

Quicksilver 10-31-2012 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by jmeng (Post 3806514)
I asked the same question when I was shopping for my wifes Expedition a couple of months ago. From what I saw on the forums, Ford is expected to put the new drivetrains in the SUV's starting with the 2014 or 15 model years. Tried to get my wife to wait but no luck. :D

Would be great, the only thing wrong with the trucks is they need a bit more power, GMs 6.2 rocks in the suvs. But the Expedition interior is so much nicer in fit/finish, drives/handles way nicer, just feels more solid etc.... ecoboost would be great in the Expedition.

Baja_342 10-31-2012 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver (Post 3806632)
Would be great, the only thing wrong with the trucks is they need a bit more power, GMs 6.2 rocks in the suvs. But the Expedition interior is so much nicer in fit/finish, drives/handles way nicer, just feels more solid etc.... ecoboost would be great in the Expedition.

Agreed. Kind of getting off topic, but I'm not paying the prices they want for an Expedition that really hasn't been changed since 2004. Same goes for the Navigator.

jmeng 10-31-2012 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Baja_342 (Post 3806645)
Agreed. Kind of getting off topic, but I'm not paying the prices they want for an Expedition that really hasn't been changed since 2004. Same goes for the Navigator.

They're still my favorite full size SUV except for maybe the Sequoa. I spent a month looking hard and bought a mint used 2012 for about 16k off sticker. Was satisfied with that. The new prices are freaking ridiculous though.

Baja_342 10-31-2012 04:45 PM

That's the way to do it. My MKT is a 2010. Bought it early 2011 with 4900 miles on it at a significant discount. Was driven by a Ford Motor Credit employee. Technically used, basically a demo.

Uncle Dave 10-31-2012 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 4bus (Post 3795135)
Tough to say, ugly issues that are known the the majortiy of an engine group usually take a few years to show their face. High miliege over a short period of time is not always a good judge.

And the new 5.0l is not a proven platform either, it really doesn't have anything in common with the old 5.0l.

Drive them both, pick the one that you like, and then consider an extended warranty purchase as peace of mind.

Ecoboost 3.5L twin turbo started shipping in late 09 for the 2010 year SHO.

It also made Wards 10 best engines list in 2010.

I wouldn't be worried at all about this baby- its got the right stuff.

UD

marylandmark 10-31-2012 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by mpally (Post 3795081)
Will these motors last 150,000 miles without any major issues?

What is considered major?

The design life of the turbos are 150,000 miles. I've heard prices from $2500 up to $4000 per turbo, any one able to verify this? 15K miles a year average means it would be a 10 year old truck- seems like $5000-$8000 would be quite a larger percentage of its value at that time, no?