Notices

Suburban

Old 11-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
That's BS. I would move out and buy the 'Burb. That'll show them!!!!!!
Looks like I am getting a 97'? Found a real nice one 120k miles 2nd owner truck, 1500 model with tow package and 2wd/4wd mode very clean!
Might be checking it out Sunday...called him about it today!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

97 is a good year, and will have Airbags on both sides if it's a 1500. The TBI and Vortec trucks are both solid, the Vortec trucks have more power and are easier to upgrade, a little more complicated (OBD 2, with after-cat O2 sensors, etc) and slightly more difficult to work on, but not enough to make it a big deal. Keep an eye out for difficulty starting it, make sure to give the truck a cold start if you can, the Vortec engines do have injector/ intake issues but they are easily resolved. If the transmission has never been rebuilt/ replaced it might give you issues eventually, keep it out of OD unless you're on the Interstate and you should be OK.

If you're buying the rig as a DD/ occasional towrig, 1500 is okay. If towing is the main reason for purchase, save yourself the headaches and get a 2500 from the start, preferably one with a 454. Not sure how much you're towing, but I wouldn't do more than 6K or so with a 1500. Also, get the deepest gears you can find, the 3.42 geared 1500's are dogs, and use more fuel than the deeper geared trucks. 4.10 is perfect, 3.73 is okay too. If you look at a 1500, the limited slip (RPO G80) is crap, try to avoid it if at all possible.

120K is barely broken in for the engine, you might have to do water pump, alternator, tensioner pulley, maybe radiator eventually, but no big deal there, any truck over 10 years old with 120K+ is going to need some of that stuff.

The 95+ interiors are way better than the earlier ones, IMO, I've owned several of both. You might have to do interior door handles if any of the doors are difficult to open, but again, no big deal.

On any year rig, a set of headers and cat back exhaust will really wake the truck up.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

You guys do realize that Sam is a 17 yr old that lives in NY right? Insurance will easily cost more than the truck itself, most 15 yr old Suburbans are suffering from rust and this vehicle will likely be around for a year or two before he is off to college.

So a 454 with certain gears, a cat back exhaust and headers are probably not part of the equation. It is all good info but in all reality not applicable to this situation.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
You guys do realize that Sam is a 17 yr old that lives in NY right? Insurance will easily cost more than the truck itself, most 15 yr old Suburbans are suffering from rust and this vehicle will likely be around for a year or two before he is off to college.

So a 454 with certain gears, a cat back exhaust and headers are probably not part of the equation. It is all good info but in all reality not applicable to this situation.
19 as of July 17 2012 Insurace is high, for teen drivers, especially new ones, so i did a safe defensive driving course that will lessen insurance rates (we use Amica). I am currently unemployed, but going in for an interview monday, plus sent my resume in to a construction job. Thanks to budget cut backs, my education plans got ruined.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CigaretteSam
19 as of July 17 2012 Insurace is high, for teen drivers, especially new ones, so i did a safe defensive driving course that will lessen insurance rates (we use Amica). I am currently unemployed, but going in for an interview monday, plus sent my resume in to a construction job. Thanks to budget cut backs, my education plans got ruined.
I am looking for a third suburban now, another 3/4 ton one. Want on with low miles (< 70k) and the 496 and 2006 or earlier. I have a 12 yo son that will be driving and was told by my insurance company that vehicles over 10 years old will really drop the insurance rates for him. Right now I insure 4 vehicles for about $1600 a year on full coverage. Nice to be in rural Indiana!

Our 99 burb with the 350 and 3.73's is a nice layout. good on gas also in the upper teens on the highway, but not a big deal as gas is still cheap and I can buy as much as I want. Will be interesting to see where it is in 3 or 4 years.

What budget cuts changed your education plans? Did you get laid off of your current job?

Brian
Old 11-25-2012, 12:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by befu
I am looking for a third suburban now, another 3/4 ton one. Want on with low miles (< 70k) and the 496 and 2006 or earlier. I have a 12 yo son that will be driving and was told by my insurance company that vehicles over 10 years old will really drop the insurance rates for him. Right now I insure 4 vehicles for about $1600 a year on full coverage. Nice to be in rural Indiana!

Our 99 burb with the 350 and 3.73's is a nice layout. good on gas also in the upper teens on the highway, but not a big deal as gas is still cheap and I can buy as much as I want. Will be interesting to see where it is in 3 or 4 years.

What budget cuts changed your education plans? Did you get laid off of your current job?

Brian
me too! but have you seen the prices on the 00-06's,,they are freaking nuts..i was looking about 2 yrs ago and desided not to move forward..what im seeing now is 20% higher prices and with 100k mike marks..no way am i paying 15k for a 2500 sub with over 100 k ..
Old 11-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Registered

Just got back from looking at a '97 with 120k miles......very pleased with it's condition. Tires are like new, all brake components redone etc...still need a mechanic to check everything out. Took it out for a drive, everything works as should. I am surprised in the difference while switching to the different modes (4wd hi, lo, 2wd) The current owner pulls a pretty big twin axle RV camper with it.
So far, so good!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Registered

Sam,

Sounds like a good rig, did you take any pictures? My main concern if he was towing with it would be the transmission, how did it shift? Did the PO mention if it had ever been rebuilt? If that is the original trans, I would expect a rebuild to be needed by 150-175K, but I wouldn't let that scare you away, a clean 4wd burb is getting harder to find, especially in the rust belt with that low of mileage. The Vortec engine should last for 200K+.

If you do pick it up, give us more info, and check the glovebox for the list of RPO codes, and cross reference them to the internet RPO guides or post a clear pic here and I can help you decode it to see exactly what options the burb has.

Suburbans are my favorite vehicle, tons of room, 3rd row is awesome, you can pile 8 or 9 people in it for road trips, you can camp in it, great in all weather conditions.

Disclaimer: If you are on a limited budget, and aren't planning on towing with it, I would suggest looking at a smaller compact truck or SUV, mainly to save on fuel expenses. You can expect 12ish in town, and 14-16ish highway depending on speed for MPG, anything above that consider yourself lucky. Nothing worse than a vehicle you cant afford to drive if gas spikes. The S10 Blazers are pretty nice inside and can tow just about as well as the 1500 Burbs. BUT, these burbs are getting harder and harder to find, if it's clean and checks out it will be a good purchase. You can always pick up an econobox to commute in once you start working.

Also, not that its any of my business, but don't worry about the economy and not going to college at the moment, now that everyone and their mother has a BS degree, they are not worth the money you pay to get them, if you can find an in demand trade to apprentice in you will be time and money ahead, the world has definately changed. Look into 2 year trade schools as well, especially at the community level, much more affordable, and skilled hands-on labor has disappeared in this country, the younger generations are afraid to get their hands dirty and there is a good developing job market for those of us who will. Healthcare is also an area that pays well if you can break into it, 2 or 3 years to an RN, and pull down 25+++ an hour. Not bad at all, compared to so many who go to college because mom and dad make them and pile on the student loans... LOTS of opportunity in this new economy, good luck...
Old 11-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bowtiepower00
Sam,

Sounds like a good rig, did you take any pictures? My main concern if he was towing with it would be the transmission, how did it shift? Did the PO mention if it had ever been rebuilt? If that is the original trans, I would expect a rebuild to be needed by 150-175K, but I wouldn't let that scare you away, a clean 4wd burb is getting harder to find, especially in the rust belt with that low of mileage. The Vortec engine should last for 200K+.

If you do pick it up, give us more info, and check the glovebox for the list of RPO codes, and cross reference them to the internet RPO guides or post a clear pic here and I can help you decode it to see exactly what options the burb has.

Suburbans are my favorite vehicle, tons of room, 3rd row is awesome, you can pile 8 or 9 people in it for road trips, you can camp in it, great in all weather conditions.

Disclaimer: If you are on a limited budget, and aren't planning on towing with it, I would suggest looking at a smaller compact truck or SUV, mainly to save on fuel expenses. You can expect 12ish in town, and 14-16ish highway depending on speed for MPG, anything above that consider yourself lucky. Nothing worse than a vehicle you cant afford to drive if gas spikes. The S10 Blazers are pretty nice inside and can tow just about as well as the 1500 Burbs. BUT, these burbs are getting harder and harder to find, if it's clean and checks out it will be a good purchase. You can always pick up an econobox to commute in once you start working.

Also, not that its any of my business, but don't worry about the economy and not going to college at the moment, now that everyone and their mother has a BS degree, they are not worth the money you pay to get them, if you can find an in demand trade to apprentice in you will be time and money ahead, the world has definately changed. Look into 2 year trade schools as well, especially at the community level, much more affordable, and skilled hands-on labor has disappeared in this country, the younger generations are afraid to get their hands dirty and there is a good developing job market for those of us who will. Healthcare is also an area that pays well if you can break into it, 2 or 3 years to an RN, and pull down 25+++ an hour. Not bad at all, compared to so many who go to college because mom and dad make them and pile on the student loans... LOTS of opportunity in this new economy, good luck...
Shifted great! I will be sure to take lots of pictures when I pick it up, if I do go through and buy it. For a 97, its very clean! My family and I loved it, and they said all the room will come in handy. We are always doing something.
What a long response from you, LOL, took awhile to process.
Anyway, I will be towing and hauling friends and an occasional trip or two, so I think it will come in handy

I'll update you on what happens.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigaretteSam
I am surprised in the difference while switching to the different modes (4wd hi, lo, 2wd)
What difference are you referring to when switching between 2wd and 4wd?

I'm sure you're calculating fuel and maintianence into the equation. Even though Suburbans can last for a long time, you still will have maintainence. We have a 2009 Suburban and just added a 2013 Ford F150. The monthly fuel costs for those two vehicles can get expensive. In our case, we travel a lot and have three kids, so are options are somewhat limited.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.