Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Ram HD blows past Ford tow ratings, capacity >

Ram HD blows past Ford tow ratings, capacity

Notices

Ram HD blows past Ford tow ratings, capacity

Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baywatch
Thats hilarious! Thanks for posting.

Apparently when towing each other the dodge is formidable.

When not towing each other around a parking lot the dodge comes in last. At least the last version.

(thats said I love cummins itself)

UD
Attached Thumbnails Ram HD blows past Ford tow ratings, capacity-hl31.gif  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 01-10-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll stick with my Duramax! It pulls great, is quiet and has been 100% reliable.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 4,322 Likes on 1,241 Posts

That fugly Chevy interior/exterior has been around a while now, would be nice if they came out with something new.. like a complete redesign..The drive train is awesome but I could never get past the looks.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
The Ram Dually seems to lose every heads up towing performance comparison it's in.

Maybe this year will be different, but the previous gen got its azz handed to it by both other brands.

Kind of like how the Ford 6.7 is supposed to have more power and Torque than the Dmax that it looses every time to.

Tow rating are little more than marketing hype.

UD
But how many of these will last pulling these loads ? I mean its not a race its longevity being used and abused .
Old 01-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 575cat
But how many of these will last pulling these loads ? I mean its not a race its longevity being used and abused .
Good question.

Seems like you are saying the others have a reliability problem the dodge does not have.

Are you implying that?

UD
Old 01-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
That fugly Chevy interior/exterior has been around a while now, would be nice if they came out with something new.. like a complete redesign..The drive train is awesome but I could never get past the looks.
X2!
Keeping my pevious generation Duramax until it dies. Next truck will be Ford I think, done with government motors for a while.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Registered

and the Tow hype continues, one-upmanship at its best.

I would not doubt a heavier frame will help in some aspects of building a heavier hauler but it takes a complete package. An 850lb/ft of torque is only 50 more than the 2011 that was tested and came in significantly behind the other two as Uncle Dave's graph shows. (BTW, this is still much faster than the SAE standard requires, just not as fast as the other two)
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....roduction.html

Ford ran away with their tail between their legs at the new SAE tow standards. Possibly due to cooling issues on the diesel and almost definately due to the Eco-boost getting significantly exposed for over hype.
Dodge flinched and it appears resumed the tried and tired trend of the big 3.
"without an apples-to-apples set of procedures for testing, truck engineers could simply make up whatever number their own specific procedures would allow them to comfortably (and sometimes not so comfortably) justify to a legal department." quote I think sums it up the best.

My post on the new SAE J2807 did not get a lot of reads, probaby because it didnt say "Ford is best, Chevy sucks or Dodge is better but it shows how the new standard attempts to create a safe and reliable rating for consumer comparison.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...ing-field.html

I am not sure I agree with the SAE standard ratings from any kind of a legal aspect, but there is no legal definition to the tow ratings anyway. The only thing DOT looks at from a safety standpoint is that loaded axle ratings and GVWR are not exceeded the rest regarding weight is just taxes.
SAE J2708 does give a representative picture and comparison to "Joe" consumer that the vehicle he is buying could mechanically handle the load when new and not leave him stranded on the side of the road over heated or in the ditch. (who knows in 8 years when the cooling system and brakes are weaker) "Joe" rarely pays attention to hitch ratings let alone GVWR or axles. When hooking up, too many fail to account for all passengers and equipment or how the "cool" 4 inch lift may have affected load handling.

Load 4+ people in a crew cab with gear for a long holiday weekend and there is ALOT of extra weight!

Last edited by ChargeIt; 01-10-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Good question.

Seems like you are saying the others have a reliability problem the dodge does not have.

Are you implying that?

UD
Yes , which one would you rather hit the open road with without it dying on the side of the road ?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Registered

Why does it always seem like the Dodge guys take it personal when someone talks bad about their truck, and are always the first one to brag about their capabilities. I wonder if their new tow rating is the average weight of half of a double wide? Then the owners could move on their own.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 575cat
Yes , which one would you rather hit the open road with without it dying on the side of the road ?
I'd hope any of them wouldn't die on the side of the road but they all do.

I've had problems with all these brands.

As for the comment about it being a longevity race vs against time-I tend to agree, Id rather have 50K of life than win a climb contest by a minute or so- on the other hand - when a truck cannot hold 55MPH with its rated load on a hill it's a big problem for everyone else on the road with you.

It will be interesting to see what happens when towing metrics become standardized. I think the rating wars will get toned down quite a bit.

Kind of like how most boats magically lost 10 MPH with the advent of GPS speedo's

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 01-10-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.