Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
GMC 2500HD 6.0L Mods...who's done what? >

GMC 2500HD 6.0L Mods...who's done what?

Notices

GMC 2500HD 6.0L Mods...who's done what?

Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GMC 2500HD 6.0L Mods...who's done what?

I have a 2010 GMC 2500HD 6.0L gas. The truck is perfect and tows great as it is. Has about 14,000 miles on it and needs nothing at all to do what I need it to do but I have a hard time leaving things alone.

So, after installing a suspension leveling kit and some new rims and bigger tires I am now looking to get a little more power out of it.

I am most likely going to have my brother in law do a custom stainless true dual exhaust on it so that is covered.

I am wondering who else has a similar truck and what else have you done?

Cold air kit? Throttle body spacer? Programmer? What brand and do they actually work?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 4door 4x4z71 2500 with the 6.0 and six speed auto. I personally would leave the engine alone, what else could you want out of that package. Did your leveling kit and tires screw up the mpg much, what about gearing, did you loose any pulling power. I get 9 to 10 mpg towing my 292 fastech on they highway. Ave on 900 mile trip. Seems like if I tow 75 the truck stays in 6th gear more, if I drop to 65 the transmission shifts constantly between 5 and 6. Guess the power band is a little higher in the revs. 16mpg unloaded interstate mpg at 70.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

Dont go the programmer route...do a custome tune like from Nelson or Westers or waitforme etc.... And if the motor/trans is stock dont remove more then 50% of the torque management on it....that alone will wake up the motor....most guys after this are able to smoke the tires off the line for as long as they want The programmer can also do a dual tune on these trucks where your tow/haul button can activate a different program! Like for a 93 octane tune
The throttle body spacers are for the most part worthless...most time all they do is make an annoying whistling noise with no real improvments....some say they get more Mpg....but i never got anything out of the one i tried....and later sold on ebay....and another buddy of mine did the same thing...even after me telling him it wont do anything.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by looseconnection
I have a 2012 4door 4x4z71 2500 with the 6.0 and six speed auto. I personally would leave the engine alone, what else could you want out of that package. Did your leveling kit and tires screw up the mpg much, what about gearing, did you loose any pulling power. I get 9 to 10 mpg towing my 292 fastech on they highway. Ave on 900 mile trip. Seems like if I tow 75 the truck stays in 6th gear more, if I drop to 65 the transmission shifts constantly between 5 and 6. Guess the power band is a little higher in the revs. 16mpg unloaded interstate mpg at 70.
What I could want is more power out of it!

Leveling kit and tires really had no affect on the mpg. I only put 33x11.50's on it so it is not huge, just a little taller.

The speedo is however off by about 4 mph on the highway.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Registered

Tune (or programmer) can cure the speedo problem. I would definately recomend a tune over programmer as well.
They also should be able to turn off the 94mph speed limiter and likely reset TPS warning points so the light stays off / tires do not run over inflated leading to center tire wear.

What gears does it currently have?

I hope you used a full Cognito UCA kit and extended shocks. Otherwise, rough ride, ball joints and shocks will be on your replacement and complaint list.

Of course it is pretty much understood you will be in an up hill warranty fight with all the mods.
A deep piggy bank is also a good idea. Once you stray from stock it is fun but repairs and maintance will be more.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Registered

The ride is about the same quality as it was before doing anything.

Should I be looking for problems from the tps ? I have not had any yet....
Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

First mine is a 07 so it may be different, when I tried to have the speedo reprogrammed nothing worked. I had to buy an adapter that goes behind the cluster. You program the adapter on your CPU for you tire size and it corrects the speed on the dash cluster.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Registered

here's what I've done on mine. . . . .

04 crew cab, 4wd, 4-speed auto

Tranny cooler, 40GRW TruCool plate style . . . made a huge difference, it's running in tandem with the radiator. Temps are hardly over 120 when pulling the boat.

L92 heads and intake swap
Home make 4" intake
42lb injectors
LS3 90mm TB :-)

3 cam swaps
212/218 high lift
224/230 581 591 -110 LSA
232/234 .588 .598 -112 LSA (Texas Speed Torqure V2)

Long Tube Stainless headers
Stainless Steel Works 1-7/8 headers
Stock cats, stock muffler
Custom 91 octane tune with HP tuners
Key crank leveling kit
Nitto Grapplers 33s (mistake) Should have stayed with Toyo Open Country MTs (mud terrains)
Stainless rear disk brakes ;-)

I usually drive at 80mph - 14-15mpg unloaded

pulling the boat 11-12 going 70-75, or 80 9-10

My advice if you want more bottom end power, go with a 212/218 low lift cam or a 210/220 Vinci Trucker cam
Old 01-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja226sport
The ride is about the same quality as it was before doing anything.

Should I be looking for problems from the tps ? I have not had any yet....
I cant remember if it was 2010 or not til 2011 but eariler the TPS was set high, especially in the rear. Comes on if pressure drops below 70ish.
Many will find running higher tire pressure unloaded will cause uneven center tire wear.
I try to run 60 cold unless loaded heavy.

If all you did was crank torsion bars to level, stock shocks are over extended and wear very fast as will upper ball joints.
Many do it, say "It looks cool, I dont have a problem". Then in 20k they have front issues and think its normal, it is if the bars are cranked.

This will give you some options and understanding - http://norcaltruck.com/index.php/com...arent,18/pg,1/

Spend some time here - http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/for...&daysprune=100
Old 01-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
I cant remember if it was 2010 or not til 2011 but eariler the TPS was set high, especially in the rear. Comes on if pressure drops below 70ish.
Many will find running higher tire pressure unloaded will cause uneven center tire wear.
I try to run 60 cold unless loaded heavy.

My tires are at 44 psi. That is what the side wall says to inflate to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.