Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Gear change = higher towing cap? >

Gear change = higher towing cap?

Notices

Gear change = higher towing cap?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear change = higher towing cap?

I have an 04 silverado 2500 non hd crew cab short bed and 3.73 run by a gas 6.0. The build sheets says its an hd but it has the 1500 frame. My question is according to my research my current setup is rated for 8,000 of towing however if I swap the ring gears for the 4.10's I will then be rated for 10,000. Thoughts? It's a daily driver but I'd rather have the higher towing cap vs fuel mileage.

Btw, how bad is the swap? I figured approx $500 for parts.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

a lot of things affect a trucks towing capacity,a lower gear ratio is one of them,also the size of the brakes,the suspension,the front and rear axel,s,engine size,and probably a few more things that i left out.i do agree that a lower gear ratio will help.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
a lot of things affect a trucks towing capacity,a lower gear ratio is one of them,also the size of the brakes,the suspension,the front and rear axel,s,engine size,and probably a few more things that i left out.i do agree that a lower gear ratio will help.
Thanks, just looked up the specs from the book. I'm currently rated @ 8,300 with the 3.73 and the 4.10's give me 10,300 (Both for the LD trucks with the 6.0). Hopefully I can just change rings and be done with it (rear has been making noise and I have an aftermarket warranty)

The build sheet shows
G80 Locking rear diff
MT1 HD 4sp Auto trans w/ OD (4l80e)
JH6 4 Wheel power disk brakes HD
Z82 HD Trailering Equipment
KNP HD Aux Trans Cooling system
GT4 3.73 rear axle
Z85 Heavy Duty Suspension Increased Capacity Chassis Pack
Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ordered my 04 2500HD and it was 4:10 rated at 10,600 with a 6.0L gasser. The exhaust was larger. I think it was 3 1/2" if i remember right. I can't check that because I sold the truck and gave the brochure to the new owner. My 07 2500 Suburban 6.0L had smaller exhaust than the HD truck.
That Z85 option was on my 04 HD truck too. With the heavy springs you are at the full suspension option rating that is available so bumping up to the 4:10's I would think of it to pretty much be the same thing I had.

Air bags on the truck will help with stability of those heavier loads.

Last edited by aquaforce; 01-25-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prostock85
I have an 04 silverado 2500 non hd crew cab short bed and 3.73 run by a gas 6.0. The build sheets says its an hd but it has the 1500 frame. My question is according to my research my current setup is rated for 8,000 of towing however if I swap the ring gears for the 4.10's I will then be rated for 10,000. Thoughts? It's a daily driver but I'd rather have the higher towing cap vs fuel mileage.

Btw, how bad is the swap? I figured approx $500 for parts.
I noticed you said rating, it will tow a little better but the factory tow rating will stay the same, legally speaking, (DOT). That may not be what you meant so just my .02. Assuming it's 4wd you might get 2 ring and pinion sets for 500.00 but the labor might cost a little unless you can do it yourself.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

IF the truck is 4x4 you will need to change the front and the rear ring and pinion gears. YES the 4.10 gears will help with towing. Not sure if it will be enough to please you or not.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

keep in mink you going to have to reprogram the ecm to tell it you now have 4.10 gears..for abs perposes, ring and pinion and a bearing kit will set you back 500.00 per axle ..i always start fresh..going to take you about 5 hr's for the rear and if you have a front axle that one will have to vome out and done on the bench,,more parts to that one and also you will want to replace the outter axle seals and bearing's..that one takes about 7 hr's if its your first time doing it..
Old 01-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Registered

Front and rear ring and pinions, and reprogram. Honestly these will not make much difference other than pulling a hill a little. But legally the truck even with the modificatins can't exceed the factory aspecifications using the bar code in the door jamb. If you get pulled over by DOT that will be your first $1,000 fine plus what ever they can get you for. 10 years ago you could sneak around, but the law is after their money these days. You would be better off trading the truck for one that closer suits your needs. Also remember that anything over 10,000 you need a CDL with your health ceritifcate, and federal compliance to pull out of state. You guys with boats over 8'6 wide make sure to get your permits as the law is cracking down on that also.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 AM
Registered

The reason I'm considering the change is with the 3.73 starting off on hills isn't the greatest. When I pull out of the marina I'm forced to immediately go up a decent incline. Same goes for the way to the lake, if I hit the light before the climb I'm in for a 1st gear run. In second I can just get about get 3,000 rpm and that's right outside my powerband. Once underway the boat is barely noticeable. So the trucks suspension is handling it with ease.

I have a 98 2500 suburban with the 4.10's. maybe I'll just swap diffs if they are the same. I'm only keeping the truck until sept/oct which I'll then get a diesel. Thanks for the advice.

P.S. I would be doing all my own work, so labor costs are n/a
Old 01-26-2013, 07:52 AM
VIP Member

Put it in 4 low at the ramp if you have it. It will walk right out....

Another way to offset the lack of power is to add more power. Find a used Whipple supercharger kit on ebay, bolt it on and go..

Now you will have the power to move it and a much better driving truck (more fun) when not towing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.