Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2 new sets of kodiak brakes not enough? >

2 new sets of kodiak brakes not enough?

Notices

2 new sets of kodiak brakes not enough?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Diego9040
John,

The master cylinder is a Titan 12000 lbs , and he told me when I back up it will not activate the brakes.
OK that is exactly the same Master Cylinder I have with the electric lock out in reverse. Some guys at our shop got an education on that system when they tried to move my boat around with a forklift. The eventually figured out how to connect a 12 volt source to the Master Cylinder that duplicated the reverse light circuit.

As you and I discussed today, part of you problem may be that you still have negative or very little tongue weight on your coupler which may contribute to it not operating properly. After you get the boat back on the trailer have the trailer shop move the axles rearward to give you at least 400# on the tongue...I am betting you will notice a big difference. In theory...if you don't have adequate tongue weight, the energy of the forward surge of the trailer during breaking is wasted in trying to lift the rear of the tow vehicle....you don't get the full advantage of the energy of motion and you may get only a partial operation of the Master Cylinder as a result. This is very similar to applying surge breaks while in a turn...some of the energy is trying to push the rear of the tow vehicle to the outside of the turn instead of a straight stop that harnesses all of the energy into the coupler.

FYI...one of the advantages of Electric over hydraulic is that the Master Cylinder is operated by a hydraulic pump instead of the forward surge of the trailer. So tongue weight or direction of travel has no effect on the operation of an EOH system.

Last edited by sprink58; 02-07-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

IF you are upgrading your brake system, I strongly suggest removing your surge brake coupler, and installing an Electric over Hydraulic system.

You have no idea how great and safe braking can be while towing if you have not experienced such. I am upset I waited as long as I did.

There are many posts on this. The number one thing that is not apparent (nor talked about) until it's too late...
Surge Brake Systems only work proper when the truck and trailer are in a straight line.

Any angle/curve/turn between the tow vehicle and trailer, and you have diminished braking which will lead to a jack-knife at the worst possible time.

EoH systems are expensive...
...because they are worth it.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

I remember when I was looking for a trailer this Marina was selling new 10000lb triaxle alum trailers for a great price. I call the place up and find out they had 3 3500lb axles with drum surge brakes on ONE axle! I told him the trailers were unsafe and he shouldnt be effing selling them!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
IF you are upgrading your brake system, I strongly suggest removing your surge brake coupler, and installing an Electric over Hydraulic system.

You have no idea how great and safe braking can be while towing if you have not experienced such. I am upset I waited as long as I did.

There are many posts on this. The number one thing that is not apparent (nor talked about) until it's too late...
Surge Brake Systems only work proper when the truck and trailer are in a straight line.

Any angle/curve/turn between the tow vehicle and trailer, and you have diminished braking which will lead to a jack-knife at the worst possible time.

EoH systems are expensive...
...because they are worth it.
+Alot

I have a whole slew of trailers for various purposes, and I am pleased to report that not one of them has surge brakes now. I hate those things. The boat trailer has EOH and Kodiak discs on two of three axles, and not only is it totally controllable and predictable, but it will stop the whole rig, including 14,000 lb boat/trailer and 12,000 lb truck dead in its tracks, without the truck brakes. They will lock up on dry pavement if you want them to.

I haven't priced it, but an EOH pump can't be that much in the grand scheme of things, maybe $500-$600? Totally worth it, and if you are already plumbed for hydraulic brakes, and have the calipers, not that hard to install.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tcelano

I haven't priced it, but an EOH pump can't be that much in the grand scheme of things, maybe $500-$600? Totally worth it, and if you are already plumbed for hydraulic brakes, and have the calipers, not that hard to install.
This is the unit I bought and it was just over $600 but hard to not justify the cost due to the benefit!

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brak.../T4813100.html

This is one of those situations where most might go and spend $600+ on bling for the boat, why not spend $600 on something that will actually increase your safety factor!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It sounds like you have surge brakes installed.

What happens is you hit the brakes in the truck and it starts to slow... the momentum of the trailer slides forward in the tongue. This sliding tongue is effectively the trailer's 'brake pedal'.

This setup is fine and works but will never be as good as electric over hydraulic because the trailer will only slow as quickly as the truck can because it relies on the truck's momentum changing to apply the trailer brakes. If the trailer ever starts to slow more quickly than the truck it actually causes the tongue to slide out causing the trailer to stop braking.

I have the same setup on my 28 Donzi's trailer (3 axles, 2 sets of brakes). If I ever start to trailer a lot again I'm going to Electric over hydraulic. This system has a brake controller inside the truck and will apply the brakes based on how you set it up. In theory EOH could stop you quicker than not trailering at all because the trailer could help slow the truck down by pulling on it. This isn't ideal, but what is ideal is you can slow as quickly as you normally would.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beefmalone
I'm VERY curious about this as well since I just bought a brand new Sea-Tech trailer and feel I'm having the same problem. Unfortunately, I didn't notice until almost 1000 miles later back in Mississippi when I had to slam on the brakes and didn't feel like I was getting any help from the trailer.
I went back o the shop today and one of the guys there test drove my truck with the trailer(with boat on) and he mentioned there is no tongue weight, that we need to move the boat forward at least a foot or 2 ,now I don't have much room to move forward so we'll see ho we adjust these in a couple of weeks when I can bring it back to him, as sprink58 mentioned I will also suggest to move the axles backwards as much as possible, now he did not guarantee that this will help in breaking better not even adding another set of brakes will do it,he said. Something not right , when people here (oso)with heavier boats using same brakes can stop in a heartbeat with similar set up ( 2 set kodiak disc brakes, not EOH ) one thing is clear to me I will make this thing stop no matter what,even if I have to go with EOH .
Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Diego9040
I went back o the shop today and one of the guys there test drove my truck with the trailer(with boat on) and he mentioned there is no tongue weight, that we need to move the boat forward at least a foot or 2 ,now I don't have much room to move forward so we'll see ho we adjust these in a couple of weeks when I can bring it back to him, as sprink58 mentioned I will also suggest to move the axles backwards as much as possible, now he did not guarantee that this will help in breaking better not even adding another set of brakes will do it,he said. Something not right , when people here (oso)with heavier boats using same brakes can stop in a heartbeat with similar set up ( 2 set kodiak disc brakes, not EOH ) one thing is clear to me I will make this thing stop no matter what,even if I have to go with EOH .
Diego,

As I told you today:

[IMG][/IMG]

Look at this pic of my set up. Notice the distance between the coupler and the front of my boat. You need to have a longer "Tongue Tube" put on your trailer. That's the galvanized steel tubing that runs from the rails forward to connect to the coupler. Then you can move the boat and winch stand forward. I started looking at the pic of your set up you sent me.

[IMG][/IMG]

After looking at it I don't think you have enough room to move the axles back and with your trailer it will be much simpler and more cost effective to put a longer "Tongue Tube" on the front. Compare the distance you have on the front to mine and I think you will agree. Run a copy of this and take it to your trailer guy. He may even need to move your bunks forward a bit to get you balanced but this will for sure allow you to shift the load forward. As it is now you are out of room.

I think this will solve your problem.

Last edited by sprink58; 02-11-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Registered

If it's properly set up the surge brakes should work fine. After what I spent (and what you most likely spent) on a brand new trailer from these guys, the brakes SHOULD work. I'm not sure what tongue weight has to do with anything either. I guess it's possible, but it would seem to me that the weight of the boat /trailer together should be enough to activate the brakes.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by beefmalone
If it's properly set up the surge brakes should work fine. After what I spent (and what you most likely spent) on a brand new trailer from these guys, the brakes SHOULD work. I'm not sure what tongue weight has to do with anything either. I guess it's possible, but it would seem to me that the weight of the boat /trailer together should be enough to activate the brakes.
I did spend quite some money on this setup , did not buy the trailer from them though,but what John (sprink58) is saying , kind of make sense since when i brake the boat kind of pulls up the rear of the truck and then the actuator probably doesn't go all the way to actually be effective. We'll see i will post results in about 2 weeks , i am determined to get this done after (like you said) the money i spent on these trailer already.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.