Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anyone tow a 30 footer with 1996 or 1997 F-250 >

Anyone tow a 30 footer with 1996 or 1997 F-250

Notices

Anyone tow a 30 footer with 1996 or 1997 F-250

Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

I have had my 7.3 for 12 years and have right at 20k total in it with mods. I bet mine has a bit more then 450lbs of torque.

Don't forget on the new truck if you have a loan to add the interest payments.

Oh yea last thing, I drive my "old truck" back and forth pulling the boat from Indiana to FL not a hick up.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I have had my 7.3 for 12 years and have right at 20k total in it with mods. I bet mine has a bit more then 450lbs of torque.

Don't forget on the new truck if you have a loan to add the interest payments.

Oh yea last thing, I drive my "old truck" back and forth pulling the boat from Indiana to FL not a hick up.
1+

I'm done spending money on brand new trucks waste of money. I bought a 2008 F150 crew limited brand new it was 40k! And horrible gas mileage it was AWD like the Lincoln truck. I traded it in 2010 when I bought my boat and got a mustang to drive everyday and then bought the old F350 to pull the boat. Then I got the wife and needed more space in the driveway so traded in the Mustang for the Ram and sold the F350.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunrocket24
The eco-boost Fords are nice a friend of mine has one. But your still around 40k for a new truck. I bought the Dodge because it was cheap, got it for 25k new. It does the job now but my boat is small. If I buy an older Ford for 5k and drop another 15k maybe less for restoration plus a few months of hard work in the garage, I will have a basically new truck for 20k that will easily pull the next boat I buy. Plus I like the look of the OBS Fords. And a rebuilt 7.3 is going to last longer than a gas engine that is worked hard from towing.
I special ordered my XLT at the end of 2011 sticker was 40 and some change I paid 32. A lot of guys are getting at least 5k off of their sticker from ford on these.

To each his own and diesels are monsters on towing. half tons have come a long way in the last 10 years, and I know a lot of people can not see past that. But in reality most half tons have the same power as diesels did 10-15 years ago, or close to it. Diesels always provide the longevity as well. And everything has to be factored in, what you are doing, what your wallet can afford etc. Theres something to said about not having a payment, but I have also built enough equity in vehicles that my payments are less 300 bucks a month, and im not talking 7 year loans. So for me it is making more sense to have the reliability in new vehicles regardless of what they are and the warranty. So for around 3 grand a year it was more effective right now for me to have newer vs replacing tires, alternators, exhaust systems, etc. Plus the down time. I merely switched from diesel to gas because the capability was there and on paper the diesel no longer made sense. All I am suggesting is take a look sometime at the cost of ownership on any vehicle you have regardless of what is, loan payment, fuel cost, annual maint, unexpected maint, and then look at an alternative.

I did the cost analysis on owning my diesel and buying the gas and fuel savings alone it was close to 3 grand, the add in maint, etc. It just didnt make sense for when I tow 30-45mins tops 12 weeks out of the year. But it may not be the same for everybody