Notices

Jeep Diesel Pricey

Old 03-03-2013, 01:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Delforce22
S Interested to see what the tow ratings are. The V6 Jeep is 5000 lbs and V8 is 6000 lbs currently.
The Hemi V-8 [ wife's 2010 Limited ] with 358HP on tap has 7400 lbs tow capacity! Only reason it isn't rated higher because of the shorter wheelbase and lighter weight compared to the Ram truck, brake rotors maybe smaller too. For what it's worth, the 3.0l diesel will have a decent ,most likely around 6500lbs tow capacity.Had three Cherokees myself. One was the first diesel offered by Chrysler in 1985, the Cherokee Chief with the 2.1 liter Renault turbo engine.It was rated to tow 5000lbs with only 90HP and 130 foot pound of torque.Towed my 20 Spectra Day cruiser [ close to 5000lbs on the tandem trailer] for years without a hitch.Sold the Jeep with about 160K miles.The little engine cost more than a 6cyl Cummins at the time so I figured if the engine develops any problem it would be expensive to fix. Bought the 1990 Grand Cherokee LTD 4.0 inline six towing for years with minor maintenance issues like it needed a radiator replacement. The OEM radiator was a cheapo single row minivan unit.Chrysler always did shortcut a few things to save $$$. Next I had the 1998 GC LTD with the 5.2L with 235HP and 6500lbs tow capacity [ 318cu] V-8 , had absolutely no problems with it until I've sold it with about 80k miles.Had to upgrade to a 2003 Navigator with 8900 lbs tow capacity when bought another boat with twins. Have about 85K miles on the Navigator towing my 8300lbs boat/trailer combo.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Delforce22
The sophisticated, state-of-the-art three-liter VM V6 diesel available in the Jeep Grand Cherokee comes at a significant cost: it is a $4,500 option, unless buyers go for the top-of-the-line Summit 4×4. Then, it’s $5,000, according to the HeraldNet.

The Grand Cherokee spans an impressive range of prices, starting from $29,790 (including destination) for the base Laredo rear-wheel-drive model; even that trim level includes an eight-speed automatic similar in design to those used by BMW and Rolls-Royce. The top model is the SRT, which tips the scales at $63,990 but is considered by many to be a bargain, when compared with similar models from luxury brands.

The V6, when coupled to the eight-speed automatic, is expected to provide acceleration similar to that of the first Hemi models with the five-speed. Currently, all Grand Cherokees use eight-speed automatic transmissions, including the diesel.

The VM diesel produces a bit less horsepower than the gasoline V6, but more torque than the gasoline V8 (SRT excluded); the added torque is especially helpful in a heavy vehicle like the Grand Cherokee. Fuel mileage is the prime strength of the diesel, though, with preliminary estimates of 22 / 30 for the rear drive version — much better than the V8’s 14/22 or the gas V6’s 17/25.

Diesel engines are typically more expensive than gasoline engines; the Cummins diesel in Ram heavy duty pickups, which is chosen by most buyers, sells at an even higher premium. The diesels’ greater torque, high compression rates, and exceedingly high fuel pressures require both greater precision and far more durable materials than typical gasoline engines.
This diesel/gasoline debate sure is a good one! Does anyone have a jeep or any experience with more recent model jeep Cherokee?? My wife has a 2012 and its a very nice vehicle but im not sure how the hell chrystler figures out there fuel economy because we are averaging 15.5 mpg and it was far worse then that at first like 12.5 mpg and we both drive on cruise control doing 60-65 mph. Also my wife drive mostly highway getting to work.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

My younger brother bought the 2011 when it first came out...has the 5.7 hemi and overland package...loves the truck....mileage doesn't really concern him as he can walk to work so its only used for pleasure trips...and he has a lead foot too LOL. But i have read that the hemi motors a finicky when it comes to oil.....i believe i found it on a jeep forum one time that if you don't use the right grade of oil then that econo 4cyl mode will never kick in and the motor will always be running in 8cyl mode.....something to keep in mind when going through those 5min oil change places...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!