Notices

7.3 powerstroke experts

Old 03-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 7.3 powerstroke experts

My 2001 powerstroke 7.3(60,000miles) turns over but won't fire. Hpop is working, has fuel , but no power to the injectors.(i think) replace the cps and checked the obvious stuff. I brought it in and it was throwing IDM codes ,it was reflashed and ran great like it always has. Let it sit for a couple of days and dead again. I put a new IDM from swamps and still no start. Could it be my computer is dead?? Before it gets towed in again , any suggestions from anyone? Something simple I have missed? thanks jay.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked your oil level?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can check your injector power at the valvecover harness plug.. should be one in the center on yours... the older had 2 How do you know your hpop is working? hard to diagnose alot without some sort of scan tool.. even then most wont do what ids factory ford scan tool can do ..
Old 03-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Registered

i cant rember if its same on 99 and newer but on 97 down it is on drivers wheel well buy idm check your underhood fuse box for fuse 22 blown.. if thats case you prolly have melted wiring under fuel filter housing or short to ground fuel heater ... if its blown put another in see what happens.. it will blow again start it up in driveway dont drive it..

if that dont pan out lemme know.. i just swapped my 93 nonturbo auto truck over to a 97 powerstroke stick drivetrain front to back swaped wiring from head to tail lights... and worked on a bunch of em

Last edited by jason y; 03-13-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My 7.3 stalled at a stop sign, had it towed, after throwing everything at it, IDM,PCM etc ect, problem still there... Took to another shop, 30minutes later they called and said to come get it, very low on oil, problem gone, now my friggin od light is flashing!!!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rwbrew3
My 7.3 stalled at a stop sign, had it towed, after throwing everything at it, IDM,PCM etc ect, problem still there... Took to another shop, 30minutes later they called and said to come get it, very low on oil, problem gone, now my friggin od light is flashing!!!!!

thats not good....
Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not good at all ! After reading the power stroke forum about flashing OD light, I'm thinking nightmare part 2 begins! All I can do is laugh and deal with it!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Had the simmilar thing happen on my 99... The fuel bowl heater was shorted causing the PCM fuse to blow. The fuse is located under the dash, don't remember which one it is. Are you able to communicate with scan tool? Does your wait to start light work? Neither of these worked on my truck and they are red flags for the PCM fuse.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rwbrew3
Not good at all ! After reading the power stroke forum about flashing OD light, I'm thinking nightmare part 2 begins! All I can do is laugh and deal with it!!!
Not to hi jack northern's thread, but I fought a flashing OD light to wits end last summer... It kept throwing an OSS sensor code. Replace sensor, no change. Under heavy load at low speed (i.e. boat ramp) the truck would buck and stall and shift into OD sometimes locking the converter and stalling.

Long story short, my alternator had a leaky rectifier diode that was back feeding trace AC current to the truck at the right frequency to 'mimic' speed sensor signals. As the revs hit 1100 or so, the signal was that VSS and OSS were way over 100 mph causing it to go into OD and activate the speed limiter fuel cut.

Once the truck was actually moving the sensor output was strong enough to overcome the trace current and the truck drove normal.

Major PITA!

Edit: whenever it would have one of it's full stall episodes it would throw a whole slew of IDM, low voltage, cmp, etc. codes. They were all erroneous, and only happened after a full stall. The ony consistent code was OSS.

Last edited by RT930turbo; 03-13-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Had the simmilar thing happen on my 99... The fuel bowl heater was shorted causing the PCM fuse to blow. The fuse is located under the dash, don't remember which one it is. Are you able to communicate with scan tool? Does your wait to start light work? Neither of these worked on my truck and they are red flags for the PCM fuse.
that was the first thought,,offshore sometimes they short so bad it leaks fuel out the filter housing,,like mentioned if the fues is blown you can un plug it to get it to run but it may take a long crank to start it..if that not it they are known for crankshaft sensore and the high fuel pressure switch which is i think in the cylinder head..beed a whyle since i had a 7.3 with any problems..try unplugging the idm and leave it unplugged,,have someone crank it and plug it back in whyle cranking,,may start..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.