Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Putting new bunks on a trailer....rough cost idea? >

Putting new bunks on a trailer....rough cost idea?

Notices

Putting new bunks on a trailer....rough cost idea?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Putting new bunks on a trailer....rough cost idea?

It's getting closer to time where the boat will be delivered to me and one last issue is the trailer.

It's a pretty much new loadmaster with all the bells and whistles. However it is currently bunked for a 38' fountain and my boat to be is a 35' Nordic Flame. So from my understanding is if I plan to tow it to the ramp often it's best to get new bunks cut for the steps in the Nordic.

What does something like this usually run....don't need exact numbers just looking for an idea really is all.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:22 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Get the dimensions for the hull from Nordic and cut them yourself......might even be able to salvage the bunks that are already on the trailer. If not I'd consider (2) 2 x 10's sandwiched together them cut as needed (I did this a few years ago for a 31ft stepped Formula.)
Old 07-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Registered

I can not cut them myself but I do have a buddy that most likely could if it's simple cuts and then wrapping them in the proper material. No special wood is needed? just a good wrap on them to keep them as water tight as possible?

Bunks on the trailer now are in great shape....just for the wrong boat.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would use pressure treated wood. Regular wood they would probably rot out real quick. a 2x10 by like 8 probably runs around 10-12 bucks a peice. plus carpet. Wrap it and staple it. I would think even if you had to do all new material and could do it yourself, probably 200 bucks or less. But from the sounds of it, you can probably use whats there, just inspect it for rot and what not, probably would have to replace the peices that you cut up the carpet portion. My bunks arent even wrapped all the way around, even if you wrap them tight water is still going to get in, and you might not want to wrap it tight tight anyways, so the wood can breath a little and water can drain off.

Since you should be using pressure treated wood, if you use new bolts and fasteners to attach the bunks make sure they are good to use on pressure treat, which usually mean stainless or galvanized/coated, if not the bolts will rot out really quick.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Is this a trailer that has large vertical wood bunks that support the majority of the boat; or is this a custom trailer with a cradle support system; custom designed to the bottom of the boat--typically with flat 2x6s for support?

A picture would help.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i did my bunks which were only for a 21' i bought 4x8 treated and ripped them down a bit. You can get up to 8x8 i believe at a good lumber house. I wanted to avoid mating a couple pieces of wood together. I would definitely order stainless steel staples for the carpet though. They were cheap and 3m sent them to me quick. Me being ocd i used stainless screws and washers on the folds underneath. I know its overkill but i try to do it just once.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Is this a trailer that has large vertical wood bunks that support the majority of the boat; or is this a custom trailer with a cradle support system; custom designed to the bottom of the boat--typically with flat 2x6s for support?

A picture would help.
To be honest I am unsure. It was part of the boat deal and is currently at Mystic Powerboats and was there when I went and looked at the boat. So the trailer is unseen by me.

I don't think the trailer was custom but I might need to find out from the sounds. Dean just told me it was currently cut for a 38' fountain and if I plan to trailer the boat often I should change the bunks so that the Nordic steps don't get caught upon unloading or loading

Last edited by Nate5.0; 07-30-2013 at 05:01 PM.