Notices

Train Horns Anyone?

Old 09-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is my setup.
Attached Thumbnails Train Horns Anyone?-1581.jpg   Train Horns Anyone?-1585.jpg  
Old 09-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carter38
Here is my setup.
And yes they are loud! LOL
Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'm going to go with Nathan's 3 horn setup, they seem pretty loud and sound like the real thing. Been seeing them for about 650. Figure I can get a tank cheap, just need to find a pump and all the other stuff.

Might get it mounted and fill the tank at home and use it here and there for a few pranks.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

We scrap alot of locomotives out and usually get these in from time to time.... and not the little sissy ones for a few hundred dollars. We sell good used ones for $1200 all day long. The ones that have 3 horns are usually the loudest ones but you need a pretty good air supply to really blow them right. Need a good compressor and a pretty good size holding tank to try and maintain good constant pressure (i think it is 120psi). I do have 10 bells sitting around.... be funny backing a boat in..... Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding. I will try to put my hands on a few if anyone would be interested.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Registered

I was looking into this 3 or 4 years ago. I started getting crazy looking at Nathans from $600-1200 just for the horns... 3 horn to 5 horn. Finally told myself I was getting out of control and scrapped the idea. Thanks guys you've got me thinking about it again.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Registered

Well I finally bought a Nathan's K3LA from a guy out west, he sold me the horns, tank(tiny thing that won't hold $hit) and the actuator switch for under 500. Though it was a pretty good deal seeing the horns go for 650 easy. No compressor which is fine for now, I was able to get my hands on a nitrogen tank and regulator for the air supply. I have it temped in the bed of the truck just to show some friends how loud it is.

When I first got it I hooked it up to my 135psi compressor and was not impressed at all, then I realized that it was 3/8 line with 1/4 connectors only pushing 110psi out, ain't gonna do it. So this morning I ran 1/2 line to regulator to a temp shut off valve straight to horns. Set reg to 140psi put ear protection on and holy $hit that was loud.

Don't think they will fit behind grill so might have to pull spare or find another location.
Attached Thumbnails Train Horns Anyone?-image.jpg  
Old 10-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Registered

Not the prettiest but roughed in for fun. Tank will fit in tool box and manual valve will get replaced with electric. Just wanted to make sure it was authentic. My stomach vibrated that's how loud it is.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by s022mag
I think I'm going to go with Nathan's 3 horn setup, they seem pretty loud and sound like the real thing. Been seeing them for about 650. Figure I can get a tank cheap, just need to find a pump and all the other stuff.

Might get it mounted and fill the tank at home and use it here and there for a few pranks.

Air Zenith out of Vegas ,have used 3 of there kits in the last 2 years
Old 10-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s022mag
Well I finally bought a Nathan's K3LA from a guy out west, he sold me the horns, tank(tiny thing that won't hold $hit) and the actuator switch for under 500. Though it was a pretty good deal seeing the horns go for 650 easy. No compressor which is fine for now, I was able to get my hands on a nitrogen tank and regulator for the air supply. I have it temped in the bed of the truck just to show some friends how loud it is.

When I first got it I hooked it up to my 135psi compressor and was not impressed at all, then I realized that it was 3/8 line with 1/4 connectors only pushing 110psi out, ain't gonna do it. So this morning I ran 1/2 line to regulator to a temp shut off valve straight to horns. Set reg to 140psi put ear protection on and holy $hit that was loud.

Don't think they will fit behind grill so might have to pull spare or find another location.
do you have room under the truck? then put the socks over the front of the horns to keep the chit out..
Old 10-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Registered

I will prob drop my spare seeing that I run 20's most of the time. This is hilarious, my gf heard them and her exact words were your going to kill someone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.