Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Need An Aluminum Trailer, Any Suggestions? >

Need An Aluminum Trailer, Any Suggestions?

Notices

Need An Aluminum Trailer, Any Suggestions?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:07 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by fasform
I am looking at McClain, Platinum, and Kokopelli. Any one have any experience with any of these?
Welded aluminum C-channel...
or...
Bolt-together I-beam?
Old 01-22-2014, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe bolt together I beam. Should I be looking at welded?
Old 01-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I am looking at McClain, Platinum, and Kokopelli. Any one have any experience with any of these?
I'd love to quote you a Phoenix trailer.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I believe bolt together I beam. Should I be looking at welded?
Depends on what you plan to do with it. Welded Aluminum Trailers are better than Bolt Together trailers; generally speaking.
If you plan to do a lot of towing, I'd go welded. If it's just a trailer for local trips to the lake, and/or off-season storage; I'd go bolt-together.

I've owned both. Welded is better. I've towed the exact same boat on both for many thousand miles. The bolt-together was made by McClain, the welded was made by Myco.
Welded boat trailers with "cradle" type of bunk supports (usually flat 2x6s) tend to load better.
Bolted boat trailers with main bunks that are often vertical large pieces of wood or similar, often load off center. This can be tuned and tweaked, but it is a general characteristic of this type.

I had a bolt-together McClain. I would say it was above-average in the bolt together category. Compared to my other bolt-together trailer, (Rocket), the McClain was much better.

Best friend had a welded McClain under very similar boat. It was one of their first ever welded trailers, and it was below average. Huge welds, and many of them cracked over time; requiring some significant reworking. Compared to the welded Myco; the McClain did not hold up as well.

A trailer is a tool. You can buy the categorical same tool(set) at Wal*Mart or out of a Snap-On truck; say for example: a set of SAE box/open wrenches.
One of them is going to perform over time much better than the other.

Phoenix makes a great trailer.
I'd also be looking up Manning Trailers in Michigan if I were in your shoes: http://manningmarine.com/

Bolt-together aluminum trailers often are skimped on components since they are often stock/stocked and can be configured for many boats.
Welded trailers tend to be custom built for each boat; spec'd by an owner with better lights, brakes, axles, etc.
The welded IS better. It's also more expensive.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-22-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Registered

Eddie I would be glad to look at these. What do you need from me?
Old 01-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. Great feedback.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
Thought I'd give an update, we did in fact go with Manning Marine. We decided to built the tailer with all the best possible parts and hardware and I must say this trailer is an absolute monster! The order was placed without ever seeing one first hand and going off what was said here on this site and I was nervous. Now that we have it I can honestly say this trailer is built well and I am not at all worried about its construction.

However there was a few things that did not sit well with me. They promised a build within 3-4 weeks from from the time they received the check, it took 7.5 weeks. When the trailer showed up the wheels had yellow stains on them and didn't match the center caps, nothing that couldn't be replaced. I took the tailer home before loading the boat to give it a bath and there were tons of rock chips in the paint all over the frame, again nothing that couldn't be fixed. Loaded the boat on the trailer with a lift and the bunks and boat did not fit together, along with the V-block not being able to position itself properly on the bow, now the trailer was becoming a VERY expensive problem. After speaking with them about everything they came back down to pick up the trailer to make it right. They replaced the wheels, repositioned bunks, fixed the V-block and repainted the areas of the trailer that needed it. So over all they stood behind their work.

Two things I would like to pass along to those that are considering a new aluminum trailer from any manufacture out there is this, DON'T GET IT PAINTED! There are again more rock chips and now there is orange peel and over spray from the repair work and in my opinion the paint was not at all worth it and it's a big regret. I also decided to add a bow ladder for easier movement on and off the bow for us. While this option is wonderful the placement is such that it is inside the radius of our rear bumper and any hard/sharp right turn will cause damage to our bumper and trailer. So if you are thinking about adding a bow ladder make sure the tongue is long enough for the tight turns or you will be limited and/or needing to replace a bumper. I am more aware of this since I already had this problem with a work trailer that had an external fuel tank, I am on my second blade.

I would recommend Manning for their incredible construction and over all finished product. However for the finish work like paint and attention to the small details I would make 100% sure you know what you are getting in the end. And for aluminum trailers, again I'll say I wouldn't recommend painting them.

Hope this helps and good luck if you are considering a new custom trailer in the near future.
How was shipping handled back and forth? Did they pony up for it since the made the mistake?? How does it tow? I'm thinking about going this route due to how horrible my road runner pulls. I don't want to get a cheapy and not be happy with it.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by eddie
I'd love to quote you a Phoenix trailer.
I had a chance to see the Phoenix trailer in person after I placed the order on the Manning and it looked to be an impressive trailer as well.

Originally Posted by T-RAV
How was shipping handled back and forth? Did they pony up for it since the made the mistake?? How does it tow? I'm thinking about going this route due to how horrible my road runner pulls. I don't want to get a cheapy and not be happy with it.
The shipping was high in my opinion compare to other quotes that I received, especially when it showed up with rock chips all over it. They charged me a per mile fee, in their defense they also said they could have saved me some money with shipping if they could have combined it with other trailers in the area, but not many people are getting trailers between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We only had to pay for original shipping. Another thought, you can meet them halfway and save a little but if you have fitting problems like we did then they're not there to see it.

Now the trailer itself is awesome, drove it 14 hours straight in light snow then heavy rain for most of the way. It towed wonderfully, and I don't like using clichés, but I didn't even know it was back there compared to all the other trailers I have pulled. I went with duel axle E/H brakes and they are powerful and the system is twice the size of the system I installed on our old trailer. Nothing on this trailer was skimped by Manning and the construction is solid. But I will say it again, don't go with a painted one. And I did have someone warn me about that but I was assured they haven't had any problems with their paint... well either it is just my luck or others just don't seem to notice and/or worry.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

I have a Phoenix trailer for my 38' Cig but i think the Myco is better. If i were to do it again i would spend the extra cash and go Myco.
if anyone wants a Phoenix i would sell it and buy a Myco.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

I had http://www.texallaluminum.com/ build me a trailer for my Cig Mistress. I'm really happy with the way they took care of all my needs and the trailer turned out great.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523438[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Need An Aluminum Trailer, Any Suggestions?-img_1337.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.