Notices

Starting A Towing Business

Old 10-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting A Towing Business

I'm considering getting into boat hauling. I currently have the option to buy a heavy duty triple axle trailer for a 47 ft. boat. If I would pursue this idea I'm looking at buying a Freightliner M2 Sportchasis. Does anyone have any insight to wether this is a good idea / business to get into?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood_777
I'm considering getting into boat hauling. I currently have the option to buy a heavy duty triple axle trailer for a 47 ft. boat. If I would pursue this idea I'm looking at buying a Freightliner M2 Sportchasis. Does anyone have any insight to wether this is a good idea / business to get into?
Like anything and maybe more then anything, Boat hauling is a reputation business, my biggest question is what is the trip trailer? is it a bunk or hydralic? if it is just a bunk trailer it will limit you to much.... do your homework on permits in diff states, dot requirements and insurance, gather a cost per mile, We have M2's at work, they seem to do 6-9 mpg with box trucks, also if it is a C-7 cat motor make sure you due a blow bye test,,
Old 10-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Registered

As a professional boat hauler, if you jump in head first, running a M2, unless you are made of money, you wont last 90 days. You are in for a rude awakening of DOT paperwork, taxes, insurance, etc. Over size permits are no big deal, just time consuming.

Like any business, the 2nd hardest customer to get is a new customer. The 1st hardest customer to get is the one you just lost because you could not deliver as promised.

Ever since uShip, rates have gone down and down. For every legal boat hauler, there are 10 on uShip with no lic. or insurance willing to work for $0.50 a mile to put food on the table.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by OceanRoadsTrans
As a professional boat hauler, if you jump in head first, running a M2, unless you are made of money, you wont last 90 days. You are in for a rude awakening of DOT paperwork, taxes, insurance, etc. Over size permits are no big deal, just time consuming.

Like any business, the 2nd hardest customer to get is a new customer. The 1st hardest customer to get is the one you just lost because you could not deliver as promised.

Ever since uShip, rates have gone down and down. For every legal boat hauler, there are 10 on uShip with no lic. or insurance willing to work for $0.50 a mile to put food on the table.
This is some excellent advice. Make sure you do your homework, trucking seems like a great idea and somewhat of an easy way to make a living, because all you have to do is drive and then get paid. Not really the case unfortunately, insurance will be a massive expense and the worst part, you'll have to pay before you even start the truck and drive a single mile. Motor Carrier authorization, IFTA, apportioned plates, New York and Kentucky just to name a few states that require additional paperwork and once again money. It usually costs thousands upfront to get all the paperwork and coverage in place before a single payload.

Then once you're ready to start trucking down the road you'll need to find the "loads", this one this is a tough nut to crack and cold calling only to be treated like third class citizen. You can connect with a broker, which could lead to some great connections, but realize they are going to take a nice cut for themselves for your hard work. Okay now lets say you find a load to destination for $1.50 a mile, great, for a 800 mile trip that's $1,200. But once you get there is their going to be a "back haul"? Did this load just turn into $0.75 a mile trip so you can get back home? Because when you're rolling for the business every single mile counts towards fuel, tires, oil, insurance, IFTA, food, equipment depreciation, truck payment, trailer payment all the way down to the CB radio you might install. Every mile and every penny counts.

Not that this cannot work for you, but just be aware it is not an easy endeavor. Hopefully this helps and good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Everybody I know thats went into trucking on their own whether it be owner operator of their own rig or owned a few trucks, ended up going back to an established company. Upkeep of trucks, insurance, licenses etc, is not cheap
Old 10-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Registered

If serious, let me know, I will sell u my 25 yr established transport company based in pompano. 2 trucks, 10 trailers and I know how to make money in this business
Old 10-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatsbywheels
If serious, let me know, I will sell u my 25 yr established transport company based in pompano. 2 trucks, 10 trailers and I know how to make money in this business
This might be a better deal or something to think about instead of starting out new. At least you can get a client list. But nothing against boats, but buying any business I would be sure to look over the books and probably pay the money to have a lawyer or tax professonal look at them too.

I would think you might be better off starting out doing like a F450 or F550 and going that route, much cheaper to buy in and probably dont have to worry about buying a bunch of trailers.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

In 1994 i started a towing company. the most money i made is when i sold it in 1998. a few things to remember.. whatever you are budgeting for insurance and maintence, double it. if you have less than 10 trucks, your profit margin will be higher with ONE, you will definatly make more money with 1 truck vs 2 or 3. and no matter how much compition is out there, remember there is always room for one more, just dont cut yourself short by cutting the price. sell your service and not lowest price. best wishes!
Old 10-17-2013, 11:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

I agree with all of the above comments..... Low overhead is the key nowadays.

Having said that, buy my Freightliner for less than the price of a used dually and giddy up!!!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o53520-en.html

I'm getting ready to move and need to sell this truck because I will have no place to store it after moving to Florida. Will deliver! First 25K takes it, It's a nice truck!!!!

Craig
Old 10-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Registered

The problem with hauling is diesel prices have killed the business as well as the cost of insurance. Thats the problem with starting new business' today is companies 20-30 years I beleive had it a lot easier. Also with starting a business today is you already have everybody doing it, every great idea is already thought of and somebody is doing it. Dont get me wrong new ventures are out there and will always be out there, but the quanity of them is lower as well as the ease. And of course a bigger population demands more services but its easier for a guy already set up to absorb than a new guy to start it.

But dont let people get in the way of your dreams. Some people just like to stave off competition, some people had a bad experience and couldnt make it work or are just stupid, others are just trying to give you an injection of reality, which is what is happening here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.