Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
how much truck will i need to pull 8k pounds >

how much truck will i need to pull 8k pounds

Notices

how much truck will i need to pull 8k pounds

Old 11-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default how much truck will i need to pull 8k pounds

there are very few duallys here in colombia, even fewer crew cab duallys, so im looking at a couple of the FJ80 land cruisers like this one http://articulo.tucarro.com.co/MCO-4...buja-fzj80-_JM they have long wheels base and a lot of them are set up to run lp gas and gasoline, regular gasoline is 5 bucks a gallon here, lp is 35% of that! plus with the bench seats in the back i can haul a lot of people. i tried to find the towing capacity on one but cant find it. it only has a 4500 efi six banger but there is no highway here so 55 is about the fastest it would ever be towed, i can use low range 4x4 when i pull it out of the water. what do you guy think? thx for any advice, rm
Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Registered

i did some more searching and saw they are rated for 5k lbs, but also that toyota underates their towing capacities, 8k might be pushing it...
Old 11-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I have the exact same truck, mine is all original with only 70K miles. I will look at the data tag in the morning. Its fairly heavy duty for a light truck but I don't think i'd use it to tow my Scarab.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

RM, how far are you towing? I know towing is a touchy subject on here. And while no means legal I know of a guy who has a 31 scarab that weighs around if not more then 8,000 lbs. He has a neighborhood ramp and the furthest the boat goes on the trailer is 3-4 miles through the neighborhood to the gas station and then back to the ramp. Never sees above 20 mph (prob closer to 15)and is done with a v8 jeep grand Cherokee. Wish I had a picture because it's funny looking. I'm aware that it doesn't stop well, And that if something happened it would happen at 15 mph or less. Power wise and even at the ramp it has no real problems doesn't even use low gear to yank it out.

Point of the story if you're going an extremely short distance, something that you're describing would physically move it and prob pull it out of the ramp no problem. But would I really get out on the open traffic with it? Probably not.

Last edited by mickeymcclgn; 11-21-2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: 8,000 not 800 damn typos
Old 11-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Legal?? he is in Columbia...if anything happens, legal has nothing to do with it. He is the rich gringo pulling a boat, it will be his fault.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Towing I think you're fine....stopping might be the Issue here.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
Legal?? he is in Columbia...if anything happens, legal has nothing to do with it. He is the rich gringo pulling a boat, it will be his fault.
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads...
Old 11-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Registered

the boat is on an alum trailer with surge brakes. i probably will only be driving it a few miles to and from the ramp, the farthest it would ever go is a 2 hour drive at 45/50 mph to cartagena, but that probably will never need to happen, or once in a blue moon if it does...rm
Old 11-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

22k is that the normal price for something like that down there?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ratman
the boat is on an alum trailer with surge brakes. i probably will only be driving it a few miles to and from the ramp, the farthest it would ever go is a 2 hour drive at 45/50 mph to cartagena, but that probably will never need to happen, or once in a blue moon if it does...rm
Towing that far would be risky I'm sure ESP if there's a brake failure or something along those lines. But beyond that I'd put a heavy duty transmission cooler and HD electric fan to try and get the transmission not to puke out on a 75-80 mile over loaded haul.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.