Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Weight Distribution Systems vs. Air bags 2010 F-150 >

Weight Distribution Systems vs. Air bags 2010 F-150

Notices

Weight Distribution Systems vs. Air bags 2010 F-150

Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I went with one of the trunnion bar styles from here; but I can't remember which one as it was years ago.
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Weig...-pm-Reese.aspx

It was Reese, Trunnion Style, and WD only. They now have several options, but it was only one or two back when I bought. No squeaks as it was chains, not friction attachments. I would loosen the chains to slack before launch and retrieval. The last thing you want is the rear of the truck lifting at the launch ramp.

You will need a Pole Tongue Adapter for your trailer too; one of the first three products on this page.
http://accessories.etrailer.com/sear...tongue+adapter

Make sure you have plenty of boat weight on your tongue stand.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I installed WD hitches for several years and their big benefit is that they help transfer weight to the front axle. This can dramatically improve handling and safety. There is a bit of science to designing the correct WD setup. Hitch ball has to be correct height and spring bars need to match the load and chains need to be long enough to not impede maneuvering. Based on my experience setting up tow vehicles, you can take the manufacturers tow rating and de-rate it by at least 25%. I tow a 5000lb boat with a Suburban rated for 8000lbs, and by the time I get passengers and gear loaded, I wouldn't go any bigger. And I have added high performance brakes with slotted rotors and reprogrammed ECU along with engine mods. Warning, air bags only mask the problem, too much weight to too little vehicle. Adding air bags just helps the load leverage weight off of the front tires. That's why fifth wheel type hitch systems work well for large loads, they remove the leverage of a receiver style hitch. True with an aluminum trailer the length of a large boat you get some flex, and with a WD hitch it will transfer to the tow vehicle. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people buy a new truck based on the empty weight of their new 30' Travel Trailer. Then they add 40 gals of water in front of the axle and wonder why the truck sits so low. Towing with a maximum load in the rain will cause hydroplaning in even low to moderate speeds. I travel for work and I can't tell you how many recreational vehicles I've seen in the ditch or hanging over bridge guardrails.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are you saying air bags helped put weight on the front wheels? I wasn't expecting any appreciable weight in the front since the fulcrum point hasn't changed much. In fact, a loaded leaf spring normally moves the axle back. Thanks for you WD info. AB
Old 12-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Airbags don't have one setting. You can adjust them, obviously. You want to adjust them such that they don't "increase" the height of the fulcrum (the rear axle), but rather don't let it sink any with added weight. You are NOT adding strength to the vehicle. You are not increasing the capacity of the (actual) axle, nor the axle housing, bearings, or bearing seals. Over-inflated bags will actually induce frame flex which makes things even worse. WD hitch puts puts some weight on the front axle, but more-so, it sends the trailer weight to the trailer axles. But all of that depends on setup, hitch height, and adjustment. Boat trailers do not really have the problem of pitching front to back like travel trailers as we have so much weight aft of the trailer axles. Such is why tongue weight, and trailer setup is so important to get that balance just right. IF you get that balance just right, and then add 1000 lbs. of passengers, luggage, and gear to the truck sending the rear suspension down an inch or two before you attach the boat to the hitch; then you are right back to the drawing board.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Airbags don't have one setting. You can adjust them, obviously. You want to adjust them such that they don't "increase" the height of the fulcrum (the rear axle), but rather don't let it sink any with added weight. You are NOT adding strength to the vehicle. You are not increasing the capacity of the (actual) axle, nor the axle housing, bearings, or bearing seals. Over-inflated bags will actually induce frame flex which makes things even worse. WD hitch puts puts some weight on the front axle, but more-so, it sends the trailer weight to the trailer axles. But all of that depends on setup, hitch height, and adjustment. Boat trailers do not really have the problem of pitching front to back like travel trailers as we have so much weight aft of the trailer axles. Such is why tongue weight, and trailer setup is so important to get that balance just right. IF you get that balance just right, and then add 1000 lbs. of passengers, luggage, and gear to the truck sending the rear suspension down an inch or two before you attach the boat to the hitch; then you are right back to the drawing board.
You are correct. Unfortunately, I can't temporally move the boat any further back since I have a drive protection bar across the back. The only real issue with the rear of truck squatting down is my head lights piss everyone off. Well, looks questionable also. Actually rides ok still.

Last edited by abmotorman; 12-18-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Maybe its just me but I would look to see if you could rent something made to tow the weight. i mean, you are not talking about down the street to the ramp, you are talking 1000+ miles towing what sounds to be more then the F150 should be towing.

Not just brakes (I know trailer has them) but what if the tranny gives up? Motor overheats,,,,,,,, lose a tire,,,,,, ton of things. Think about how hot things get at highway speeds towing for a long time. There is a reason tow packages have bigger radiators, transmission coolers, etc.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did I miss something? Spec's for what he said about his truck and past total weight he is under GCWR.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Maybe its just me but I would look to see if you could rent something made to tow the weight. i mean, you are not talking about down the street to the ramp, you are talking 1000+ miles towing what sounds to be more then the F150 should be towing.

Not just brakes (I know trailer has them) but what if the tranny gives up? Motor overheats,,,,,,,, lose a tire,,,,,, ton of things. Think about how hot things get at highway speeds towing for a long time. There is a reason tow packages have bigger radiators, transmission coolers, etc.
Assuming you read the specs....turn in your man card and go buy a Prius. Seriously, this from a fountain owner? Did you inherent that boat? Dry stack right?
Old 12-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

I think he said 10K plus about another 750 is extras. 16k GCWR

Looking it up I am wrong, the 2010 F150 if optioned with a 5.4, 3.73 super cab and Max towing is rated at 11,200. The GCWR would be 17100lbs.

So good to go,,,,,,,, just need to take care of it squatting like a overloaded mini truck.

Edit:

Really dude?

I think you need to go read the "why everyone so negative".

Lighten up.

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 12-18-2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Just read the second response.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I think he said 10K plus about another 750 is extras. 16k GCWR

Looking it up I am wrong, the 2010 F150 if optioned with a 5.4, 3.73 super cab and Max towing is rated at 11,200. The GCWR would be 17100lbs.

So good to go,,,,,,,, just need to take care of it squatting like a overloaded mini truck.

Edit:

Really dude?

I think you need to go read the "why everyone so negative".

Lighten up.
lighten up I shall. Winter is really fu*king wearing on me and it officially hasn't started. 4 more years...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.