Notices

Boat Trailers are a PITA!

Old 07-25-2014, 08:02 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Trailers are a PITA!

Is it just me, or do most members have more issues with their trailer than the boat that sits on it?

I took yesterday off to spend a quiet day at our local lake with the wife. Do my customary walk around before we leave all is good. Stop for gas, and do another walk around and all is good. Get 5 miles down the road coming to a stop light and start braking. All is fine and then NOTHING! NO BRAKES! Thank goodness for the Allison Transmission as it can do a lot of work slowing you down but still, not a good situation. I get to a spot to stop and walk around checking everything and all I can tell is one of the brake lines failed and lost the brake fluid.

Since I'm 1 mile from the lake, I decide to press on and give everything a good check in the marina parking lot. I get 1/2 mile from the marina and the trailer starts "bouncing around" at any speed over 30 MPH. We limp into the parking lot and now one of the brake calipers is off the bracket and hanging between the disc and the wheel. I pull the wheel and remove the caliper. Since its 11:00 AM we decide what the heck and put the boat in. With the boat off the trailer I now find that one of the other brake calipers is lose as well! I tighten it up so we can get back home, luckily only an 11 mile trip and no hills.

I just spent $1,800 have the entire brake system re-done on the trailer in June. There is another post here on that one. So obviously the person who did this work did not torque the mounting bolts on the calipers and forgot thread lock. I called the trailer place and they will stand behind their work, they are very reputable. But its the aggravation that gets me.

The boat sits on a Phoenix tri-axle trailer that came with the boat. Its been adequate, but would not call it high or exceptional quality. Strongly considering having a new trailer built at this point as mine is showing some rust and will likely need painting in a year or two. I'm pretty picky about keeping things looking good. The boat is in perfect condition and want a trailer that looks the same.

I feel better now. Back to work.

Dave
Old 07-25-2014, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Not sure what you are towing with but you mention an Allison so it has to be a 2500+ GM product......Towing a 292 shouldn't be a burden for that truck. I pulled a 32 Sunsation on a Nextrail for years with no brakes with a Duramax 2500. The trailer had surge brakes but after a couple years they were junk (rusted out). I had a 4 mile pull to the ramp and just ran it with no brakes. The trailer did hit a point when it cost me a ton of money ($2500 rebuild) and I only paid $4500 for the whole trailer brand new! I sold it for 3K on craigslist in less than a week but in hindsight I should have just sold it before the repairs and just bought a new one again!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Man do I feel your pain - I only had a delaminated tire and I thought my world was coming to an end -- just the thought of trying to fix it on the road scares the heck out of me - besides all I could envision was the boat flopping off and tearing it up. Since you are in Carmel - (I'm in Indianapolis doing some work right now) - did you think of taking the trailer up to Elkhart - RV Capital of the World - find somebody up there to re-do or re-manufacturer?? I live in Ganger and I know you can't spit up here without hitting something related to a trailer. In fact I think there is an EZ Loader site right off the Indiana Toll Road in Elkhart.

good luck

3pointstar
Old 07-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
Man do I feel your pain - I only had a delaminated tire and I thought my world was coming to an end -- just the thought of trying to fix it on the road scares the heck out of me - besides all I could envision was the boat flopping off and tearing it up. Since you are in Carmel - (I'm in Indianapolis doing some work right now) - did you think of taking the trailer up to Elkhart - RV Capital of the World - find somebody up there to re-do or re-manufacturer?? I live in Ganger and I know you can't spit up here without hitting something related to a trailer. In fact I think there is an EZ Loader site right off the Indiana Toll Road in Elkhart.

good luck

3pointstar
I use a company called Northside Trailer in Zionesville. They have done all my trailer work for the last 17 years and this is the first time I've had a issue with their work. I know (hope) they will stand behind their work but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Registered

No you're not alone!

I am on my fourth trailer, three boats and one 16' cargo. Every single one of them had given me problems on all different levels. From two trailers shearing off lug nuts, blowout, two tires on the same trip de-laminating, to brake systems not working all the way down to upgraded paint not holding up to basic road debris.

My current trailer that is only a few months old from builder that everyone says does a great job has all four wheels with metal corrosion and it's only be dunked in brackish water twice and fresh twice! It also has been washed after each use. They installed center caps that trap water! The trapped water eventually leaks out down the wheel and corrodes the aluminum! They also used cap lug nuts that also leak! I am going to send them an email today about this, so who know how this will all end.

Not that this makes your problems any better to deal with, but boat trailers are a big PITA even when you spend top dollar on them.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:54 AM
Registered

This is my first boat/trailer. Boat has been flawless for three seasons and the trailer has broken three times. Its eaten two bearings, a master cylinder and I had it freeze up a wheel cylinder with the brakes ON a few weeks ago. Pulled the wheel and hub off, yanked out the brake shoes and kept on going.... in rush hour traffic on the shoulder, in chicago.

The thing is, I always check the trailer out too. I just tow it very infrequently since i keep my boat in the water. Its probably not doing it any favors dunking it, then not moving for a couple months at a time.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I don't think you need a new trailer, but I'm not standing there looking at it either.

Have the boat lifted off in the fall, and do a check on everything. Replace the bunks and carpet if needed. Check torque on everything. Put thread locker where it needs to be, and never-seize on the lug nuts.

IF you decide you need a new trailer, I'd call Manning (in Michigan) given where you are located, and have them build you a welded ALUMINUM trailer. It will triple your resale market come time to move up.

LOTS of people skimp on trailers. (I'm not accusing anyone of such here.) But dealers didn't often spec a top quality trailer when they used to stock/floorplan boats. And people that are buying used boats are often at the top of their price bracket, and the focus on the boat, and the trailer is a "companion" or "tool".
A trailer is NOT a tool. It's a COMPLIMENT to the boat, and needs to be of same & strong caliber. It's a VEHICLE and it has life threatening consequences when something goes south.
If that caliper came out of that wheel at speed and went through someone's windshield: bad.
If that wheel/tire locked up and put you into the next lane all of a sudden: bad.
If you couldn't stop in a panic, not realizing you didn't have brakes: bad.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-25-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:33 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Every winter I spend a day re-packing bearings and crawling around under the trailer looking for anything wrong. Not saying it's been trouble free but my problems have been rare. There's no boating in the winter so if I find I need to leave it taken apart for a few days it doesn't matter since I have nothing else going on anyway!
Old 07-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
IF you decide you need a new trailer, I'd call Manning (in Michigan) given where you are located, and have them build you a welded ALUMINUM trailer. It will triple your resale market come time to move up.
I sure hope you're right.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

I really haven't had any issues with my Myco, greese wheel bearing, change brakes.

Of course as it's a 2000 I had to replace bunks and carpet a few years ago but it pulls nice and no complaints.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.