Notices

Jack for trailer

Old 09-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Jack for trailer

Looking for a jack for the boat trailer. Mainly for servicing wheel bearings, brakes, etc. Needs to handle abt 5000 lbs, be portable enough to throw in the back of the truck and be stable enough to change a tire on the side of the road.. I have a 2.5 ton high lift service jack but it struggles lifting one side of the trailer and would be very difficult to load in the truck. What do you guys use?
Old 09-01-2014, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have changed a tire on the side of the road with nothing more than a block of wood and a shovel. Simply park on the grass or dirt, then put the block of wood under the axle so it can't drop any further and dig a small trough for the good tire to clear the ground and away you go.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:30 PM
Registered

I carry couple 4by4s and 2by6 board for a ramp. Nothing wrong with a jack, I always have the blocks/boards in the back of my truck with a 4way that way I never forget it. The time I get a flat is the time I forgot to load the jack. I have been looking at adding a tool box to the tongue on the trailer to store a care package for the trailer.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

What kind of trailer axles do you have?

I carry a small 5-ton bottle jack, as well as a stack of 2x6s in various lengths. I've never had an issue getting a wheel/tire off with those in hand.

Your best bet is likely trying to get just just the bad axle off the ground, not the entire side of the trailer.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Registered

It might be a little over kill but I have a 25 ton bottle jack that I got from Harbor Freight, got it real cheap
Old 09-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Registered

Bottle jack and some 2x6s work great
Old 09-03-2014, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a 3 ton alum racing floor jack from Harbor Freight recently, and wish I'd done that years ago. Light enough to pick up with one hand, strong enough to pick up the side of the trailer, but it's better to just pick up the bad axle if you can.

Used to carry a steel floor jack, but the weight was going to hurt my back some day. This jack is sweet. Low enough to get under an axle with a flat tire, tall enough to lift the trailer frame if needed, and light enough my wife can get it in/out of the truck by herself.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:35 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
Got a 3 ton alum racing floor jack from Harbor Freight recently, and wish I'd done that years ago. Light enough to pick up with one hand, strong enough to pick up the side of the trailer, but it's better to just pick up the bad axle if you can.

Used to carry a steel floor jack, but the weight was going to hurt my back some day. This jack is sweet. Low enough to get under an axle with a flat tire, tall enough to lift the trailer frame if needed, and light enough my wife can get it in/out of the truck by herself.
Such would work with LEAF SPRING axles, but not necessarily with Torsion Axles.

I have found that Torsion Axle ends that spring/hang down can be lifted lifted with a bottle jack by catching the bottom of the spindle housing with the bottle jack and lifting straight up.
(Often, aluminum I-beam trailers have Torsion Axles that hang down.)

Torsion Axles that are bolted to the trailer and spring UPWARDS are virtually impossible to lift off the ground with a jack, sans lifting the whole side of the trailer. (Often, welded aluminum C-channel trailers have Torsion Axles that spring upwards.)
However, this type of axle configuration are usually able to lift a single axle off the ground by creating a ramp with horizontally placed 2x6s.

Here's the thing: People around you are generally helpful if you can get to a joint that has tools. In recent years, I've had two issues on where I was able to limp a very short distance into 1) and RV sales & service shop and 2) a Wal*Mart Auto Center. At the RV shop, two guys came out with floor jacks before I even came to a stop as they could see the flat tire. At Wal*Mart, 2 smiles, and 2 handshakes later, I had 2 floor jacks that I used for an hour to R&R a bad brake line. Pull into a truckstop, fire station, dealership, etc. etc, IF you can, and you will be amazed at the help you receive; especially when you roll in with one of the setups we all have.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bring my german girlfriend,,OLGA..when i get a flat tire i loosen all the lugnuts and say OLGA yougo lift the corner of the boat so i can change tire!! DONE...
Old 09-04-2014, 01:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
I bring my german girlfriend,,OLGA..when i get a flat tire i loosen all the lugnuts and say OLGA yougo lift the corner of the boat so i can change tire!! DONE...
And I'm sure you have Consuela to clean you interior too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.