Notices

Thinking about a new truck...

Old 02-14-2015, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a post in the formula forum about this question. I was browsing through it the other day and it had several pages of commentary from 330 owners.

Ricky
Old 02-14-2015, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you dont tow that much get a silverado 2500hd with the 8.1. You have the power, and a very dependable engine and transmission. Plus if it breaks it is cheaper to repair compared to the diesels.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Nova 26. Ya maybe but than I gotta rebuild the shop to make it fit. But I am already looking at 35s and 38s. And you know what I am going to pull it with either one of my two F350s Diesels. The orange one gets 13 mpg and the white one gets 16. By the way I see that you have a 38. NOT!!!

Last edited by fordf350; 02-15-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another thread here on your topic http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...ing-330ss.html

You may also have width and length laws to consider where ever you are going to tow. http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

A single wheel truck of any kind with a "oversized load" such as a beam of 10 feet plus can be a white knuckle ride. Once you have experienced a ride like that you will have a totally different perspective of tow vehicles and providing that you didn't turn over. After white knuckling a few times I went DRW and since then I can't ever see me going SRW again.

I can drive my DRW most any place that I need to commute and prefer the stable ride of a solid chassis. Granted the wide rear wheels are something to watch out for but I would never tow without it. Maybe you should buy a commuter truck and RENT something to tow with if it is so very rare. The cost would figure out better that way. Furthermore, "mileage" and "truck" are two words that are in conflict. A truck is for work and mileage/economy is the lack of work, principally speaking. I can appreciate efficiency in a truck but that is not a primary filter in terms of a work horse.

Diesel is without debate the better work efficiency and power. The difference in trucks is whether or not it has exhaust after treatment which impacts the fuel efficiency. The GM 06 and split early 07 has the Duramax with no emissions on it. Ford and Dodge also started DPF aftertreatment around 07 and 08. The next level of diesel emissions is UREA. GM started this in 11, Ford I believe was 11 and Dodge didn't do urea until 13. If you select diesel then the efficiency is impacted by these emission levels and the trucks without the emissions are more efficient than the newer ones with all the added emission systems.

Best of luck with your decision.

Last edited by aquaforce; 02-15-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info guys... I do construction for a living and my current 1500 is getting up there in mileage so a new truck is going to happen. I drive a lot and understand that I'm going to burn fuel so any boast in mileage is a plus and money in the bank. I'm really just trying the buy something that will do a double duty. A DWR just seems like a pain to drive every day to work or to the store, I see them all the time with banged up rear fenders. I'll take a look at the other thread.
Aaron
Old 02-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by alindquist
Thanks for all the info guys... I do construction for a living and my current 1500 is getting up there in mileage so a new truck is going to happen. I drive a lot and understand that I'm going to burn fuel so any boast in mileage is a plus and money in the bank. I'm really just trying the buy something that will do a double duty. A DWR just seems like a pain to drive every day to work or to the store, I see them all the time with banged up rear fenders. I'll take a look at the other thread.
Aaron

LOL those banged up rear fenders are not always due to the dually driver. Other crazies will maneuver around a truck like it is any other truck and get into the dually fenders too.
Just don't let your wife drive it......lol
Old 02-15-2015, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol. She would be too scared to ever drive it
Old 02-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by alindquist
Lol. She would be too scared to ever drive it
So is mine and that is ok cause I'm afraid of her driving it too. lol

Congrats on the Formula. You will have to scroll on down and show us some pics in the Formula section.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I struggled with this, really wanting to go diesel, but the math just doesn't work.
Higher fuel prices, costlier maintenance. Unless you tow more than not it's simply a prestige factor. My 02
Old 02-20-2015, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by buck35
I struggled with this, really wanting to go diesel, but the math just doesn't work.
Higher fuel prices, costlier maintenance. Unless you tow more than not it's simply a prestige factor. My 02

I don't know what kind of math gets higher fuel costs for a diesel unless you are just saying that because of the price at the pump. The spread in gas vs diesel price cannot bridge the efficiency difference which is 33% + more for diesel. Point being fewer gallons of diesel are purchased which still keeps the diesel fuel cost lower and the primary reason that industries around the globe use diesel for hauling, shipping, freight, working etc.

Last edited by aquaforce; 02-20-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.