Notices

Thinking about a new truck...

Old 02-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by j21black
You can't use the readout...I believe you are truthful in that's what it is telling you, but those things are far from accurate in my experience, and get even worse if you are running a tuner.

Lot's of Horror story about all diesels on-line, that's pretty much because people don't log on to praise what they have, they log on to ***** about what went wrong.

I'm approaching 100k on my 2010 F250 6.4L, I want to get rid of it, only because I want the 6.7L. Truck has been flawless other than having a transmission temp sensor go bad, and had to replace an alternator at round 90k. It's not going anywhere, airbags showed up last week, and compressor kit showed up today.

I'll take it over a gasser any day of the week...Nothing like listening to a turbo spool up and the rpms remaining level, vs dropping a gear on a gas truck and listening to the rpms climb by 3000....
Need to listen to a 8.1 gasser one of these days.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mseuro
You laugh but there's the picture and why would I lie? Boat wet is 14000 lbs plus trailer. Pulled it from Jackson Ms to Pickwick and it did great. It has average mpg readout and it was 10.7.
my 2005 v10 f 350 . averaged 12 empty .. just saying thats the 3 valve verssion of the v 10 hmmmm
Old 02-24-2015, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, thanks again for all the help... I managed to purchase a trailer today so the search is really on for a new truck...
Old 02-24-2015, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't get caught up in the minutia. The only way you'll ever get money out of a vehicle is by driving it. This thread is tripping over quarters and how much to we lose in depreciation, fuel, and maintenance on a boat????

Buy what you like. Buy what you can afford. Buy what gets the job done. Enjoy it!

By the way, I use my 2015 f250 6.7 as a daily. I tow my boat approximately 2 miles a weekend and maybe 15 weekends a year. If I want it for a long haul the truck is ready. There are uses for the truck outside of towing. Buy two vehicles? I could but when you look at total investment, maint, depreciation, and insurance the savings, if any is negligible.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When discussing savings, don't forget to take resale value into account.

Diesel outshines gasoline by miles in that compartment...

I too daily drive my diesel and I love it.

If it were me, I'd buy a 2011 or new F250 with the 6.7L in it, add an airbag and compressor kit, and be done with it.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

let me know when you buy your 15 srw duramax denali. simply cant go wrong!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I daily drove a Duramax for 8 years......bought truck brand new for 32K (crew 2WD SLE, 43K MSRP 2003). I spent 39K in fuel for that truck in 8 years (170K miles). That fuel cost stunned me!
And if it were an 8.1L gasser the fuel cost would have been anywhere from $4K to $8K more.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
It's my experience that your statement is true when working the engines hard with a heavy load. But, when not working the engines hard with a heavy load, the mileage savings isn't that much. Buck's point was that for little actual towing, the numbers don't support a diesel truck. And he's probably right.

I am of the belief, "the mileage savings isn't that much" in a daily driver comparison but still better, even slightly, with diesel. Towing totally tips the scale in favor of diesel but I don't think there are any daily driver drawbacks to choose a gasser over diesel even for the occasional tow since the diesel tow is superior.
Comparing the tires, oil changes etc that some propose the diesel still wins. The oil change interval is nearly or exactly twice the amount of miles for the diesel over the gas. The tune up events with gas offset the fuel filter events for diesel which is still close there. Tires I don't see much difference in the same chassis and use.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

You guys are killing me with v10 mpg. I have an 03 f350 that I use to plow snow with and I average about 8mpg, doesn't matter if it's in 4 wheel or not. I can't think of another motor that gets any worse mpg than this one. I've never pulled anything with it but it does have plenty of power and does a good job for what I use it for.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suppose a huge variable is how and where one drives . I know that mine doesn't do well in stop and go traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.