Notices

Drives up or Down when towing

Old 04-14-2015, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave mine down, I have plenty of clearance. I do it because its easier on the bellows not being stretched out constantly. There have been a couple of times leaving parking lots that I have put them up. Also backing into spots at truck stops are big killers too, because of the larger curbs.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:01 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joew.
As long as you have 1/8" you are good.

Your roads in Texas are much better than what we have here in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia....
Old 04-14-2015, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GOTUBCH
Your roads in Texas are much better than what we have here in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia....
It's a joke because if you never hit you don't have a problem. Sorry, not my best work.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

I used to tow drives down on twin, than changed... Road construction led me to turn a tight 90 degre turn on the right. Even tho I took as much space i could on the left, the right side trailer wheels went down lets say 1 feet deep in the little ditch beside the road, nothing to stop me from driving, just down a bit... right drive dragged a little bit in the dirt, while left was down on... ??? got it ! Asphalt! so 1 broken skeg later, I now tow drives up!

PLUS !

friend of mine got hit from the back... 2 broken drives and a boat at the repair shop and $$$
if the drives would have been up, , the trailer would have take the hit... so unless you have drive guard, tow up!!!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
If you're worried about the weight of the drive bouncing on the Rams imagine how bad it is trimming up at wot and and 600+hp in choppy water
Yea but that has got to be fun - but if it breaks while towing -- well that's just wrong! You don't even get style points for that!

3pointstar
Old 04-15-2015, 08:04 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I tow with mine up.

Buy a set of trim ram clips, cut to appropriate length and roll it.

http://www.thmarine.com/products/Tra...ailering-Clips
Old 04-15-2015, 09:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I tow with mine up.

Buy a set of trim ram clips, cut to appropriate length and roll it.

http://www.thmarine.com/products/Tra...ailering-Clips
Have pics of this set up?
Old 04-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Did you click the link?

BTW, you just cut the plastic clip to the length you need for the support you need. You only need one per drive as well. Mechanical indicators get in the way on one side of the drive.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would add that the trailer type and location of axles play a part in deciding up or down. Eagle trailers sit high and have axles far enough rear ward that the drives can be down quite safely. A trailer that sits the boat low would be a problem for drives down and furthermore if the axles are biased forward then the rear of the trailer is going to pitch a lot on hills, humps and bumps so drives down would be a huge concern.

My aluminum trailer sits low but the axles are very rear biased. The back of the boat is not going to pitch a lot but because it sets a lot lower than the steel trailer I had I still plan to tow drives up. On the steel trailer I towed with the drives down because it sat so high.

Contrary to what engineers theoretically claim, ( yes i know all the principals and i am fluid power certified so spare me the yah yah ) hydraulics can move from road shock but rarely ever causes wear or issues. We see a lot of this in knuckle cranes and proved it to the non believing engineers but I don't believe there would be any adverse effects to drive rams from road shock.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
It is like holding a lets just say 25lb dumb bell at your side and jump up and down then holde it straight out and jump again what way would be harder on your arm. Same thing with your drives.
the fluid in the hydraulic Rams is incompressible. They don't care whether they are extended or retracted. Do you risk possible bending a ram because of a larger moment arm being extended? Probably but I'd venture the risk is very very low.

My opinion as others have stated is trailer with the drives level if you can. If there is not enough clearance travel with them up. Likely won't have an issue either way. Just don't leave them up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.