Notices

Dash Cams: anyone using?

Old 05-27-2015, 08:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Dash Cams: anyone using?

I've had a couple of really close calls lately specifically with people cutting in front of me. Towing home from a PR earlier this month; I had a FourRunner pass me on the right and brake check me such that I braked hard enough to move the boat on the trailer. (EoH brakes)

What's the protocol here? If I had of ended up tagging his rear end, but captured the whole thing on video including the right pass and brake check; I'd have solid ground for proving myself in the clear, right?

I was in an uBer Black car tonight in NYC, and the driver was using one. I liked his setup. I refuse to drive in NYC anymore due to how nuts everyone drives.

Any thoughts?
Discussion?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a dashcam in my work Tahoe. But then, I also have radar, radio, rifle, laptop, taser....... all sorts of cool stuff!

I think a dashcam would certainly help in case of a crash. In the example given, it might make the difference for me if I were writing the crash report in determining fault.

In all, a GoPro might be cheap insurance. I've been thinking of it mself.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:07 AM
Registered

An alternative to the GoPro - and a lot cheaper. I was just thinking about ordering one myself. I have not used it but based on specs the picture should be similar to a GoPro.

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/...gb-memory-card
Old 05-28-2015, 08:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I use my Go Pro on the dash driving to the event or launch, Im carrying for use on the boat anyway, if nothing happens I just erase it and go enjoy boating.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:38 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I have a Drift camera, and I don't want to mess with whatever solution I go for. You can get Dash Cams on Amazon for less than $20 bucks.

I want something I can hard wire into the truck/car. It cuts on and off with the ignition; and automatically overwrites old footage; first in first out.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:27 AM
Registered

To anyone using these, depending on your location and the type of incident. The police may confiscate the camera for evidence. It may be wise not to disclose that you have video until you have it downloaded somewhere.