Notices

Rust pimples

Old 06-22-2015, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Default Rust pimples

Any tricks or products to get rid of the little rust pimples on trailer. I have a few spots they are pretty bad.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Any tricks or products to get rid of the little rust pimples on trailer. I have a few spots they are pretty bad.
The rust is coming out from the metal so the only way to fix it is with a quick sand blast. > you have to get the metal "white) meaning : remove all the dark colored metal. ( rusted).I will send you a link to a portable sand blaster. You can install a vacume cleaner brush to keep all the sand from flying everywhere and also pitting all of the existing paint. If you don't sand blast the rust will come back. And use dp 40lf epoxy primer. Or dp 90lf ( black) .
Old 06-24-2015, 02:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spray it with muratic acid..gets rid of rust....if its a box tube trailer that happened to a friends eagle trailer,it was in the middle of the trailer and on the bottom..it turned out to be junk..

Last edited by FIXX; 06-24-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:24 AM
Registered

http://www.semproducts.com/rust-and-...rs/rust-morttm

Boom stuff works great!!
Old 06-27-2015, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
The rust is coming out from the metal so the only way to fix it is with a quick sand blast. > you have to get the metal "white) meaning : remove all the dark colored metal. ( rusted).I will send you a link to a portable sand blaster. You can install a vacume cleaner brush to keep all the sand from flying everywhere and also pitting all of the existing paint. If you don't sand blast the rust will come back. And use dp 40lf epoxy primer. Or dp 90lf ( black) .
The rust is coming out from the metal so the only way to fix it is with a quick sand blast. > you have to get the metal "white) meaning : remove all the dark colored metal. ( rusted).I will send you a link to a portable sand blaster. You can install a vacume cleaner brush to keep all the sand from flying everywhere and also pitting all of the existing paint. If you don't sand blast the rust will come back. And use dp 40lf epoxy primer. Or dp 90lf ( black) . [/QUOTE]

I have never seen this piece of equipment before and I will have to look into it further. It looks like a easy to use time saver. mcprodesign is correct. All of those chemicals are modern day snake oils. I have mentioned this before Rust/Corrosion are something that needs to be handled mechanically. Cut it , Grind it, sand it etc. etc. or it will come back. Rust is the steel returning to it natural state, Ore. Now after you remove the rust from steel or the corrosion from aluminum you will have to treat it. Steel with a good primer and aluminum should be treated with alodine Than primed and painted.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:40 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I would try Evapo-rust or sand, clean then use POR - 15.

POR = paint over rust.

that stuff is some tuff stuff and comes in all different colors.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:36 AM
Registered

I hit it with some rust converter, turnes it black, then with RINGO that I use to clean bottom of boat . After some scrubbing its all gone. Then I gave the whole trailer a good wax.
I think my budget trailer paint guy didn`t put enough paint on it.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:41 PM
Registered

That converter works good on cars.... I need to get some for my trailer .... Where did us get it?
Old 07-05-2015, 05:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I hit it with some rust converter, turnes it black, then with RINGO that I use to clean bottom of boat . After some scrubbing its all gone. Then I gave the whole trailer a good wax.
I think my budget trailer paint guy didn`t put enough paint on it.
While you may have temporarily converted the surface rust, I'd be willing to bet it will return pretty quickly. The reason I say that is because I saw no mention of you applying a true corrosion resistant coating after all of your hard work. Wax is by no means a barrier to future corrosion. As others have said, once you remove all of the corrosion, you really need to apply a new corrosion resistant coating such as properly applied primer and paint. After all, you even said that your "budget trailer paint guy didn't put enough paint on it" and this caused the problem.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Registered

You`re right, I`m not ready to repaint the trailer.
I do however get those little pimples even on my brand new work truck after a Chicago winter and they disappear with a good wax so is it really neccesary to go crazy with a repaint? I don`t know, maybe.

Mike, most auto parts stores carry it one version or another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.