Notices

Am I crazy, or is the dealer?

Old 11-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Am I crazy, or is the dealer?

I called for a trade in on my 2013 Denali 3500 crew cab, all stock, 93K miles, loaded w/ everything black on black. clean title, etc, nice truck.

I looked up KBB trade in values to ballpark it before I even thought about a new truck, because I was curious.

"Do I hang on to this one as the warranty runs out, or trade in for a new one while it's still worth something?" (is what I thought)

KBB = $35K (OK fair enough, 3 year old truck, $62K, taking a hit, I understand)

Dealer calls back - "You are right around $20K for the trade in"

ARE YOU F'N KIDDING ME?

Who can go out and buy this truck for $20K, or even $30K? Please show me, cause I'll never buy a new truck again!

Curious as to others experience before I go any further. I may just keep the thing and run it into the ground, not even worth to trade it.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:24 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,108 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Many, not all, new car dealers put a limit on what sort of mileage they will sell a used vehicle at retail.So, if it's not retail for them, they have to deal with wholesalers, which puts a big hit on the 'trade in' price with them.

Or, it's simply not something they are interested in, for what ever reason.

Or, they are smoking crack....hah.

Shop around !

BTW: Is your truck 2wd or 4wd ? Reason for asking, I'd make an offer better than that dealer...LOL.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

They are sucker fishing.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Registered

It's 4WD, got everything, plus a hide away gooseneck setup, and soft tonneau cover, rear DVD, etc. No dents or dings.

The mileage thing makes sense, and that's the reason he gave me. Thanks, I understand now.
Maybe private sell is the way to go, or I may just keep it and not drive it everyday.

Do I NEED a new truck, no. Do i WANT a new truck, who doesn't?
Old 11-10-2015, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

That's a good amount of miles on a 3 year old truck but 20k is a slap in the face. I would try a different dealer for sure. I pretty much do the same thing with my truck, trade it in every 3 to 4 years before it goes out of warranty. what works for me is, be upfront and tell them what you have to have for your truck. If you give me x amount I will buy a new truck. No bs, turn the table on them.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it a Gasser? That may be a huge reason
Old 11-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

Nope they are out to screw you ANY way they can!
Case in point....about two months ago my parents were in the market for a new 2015 Tahoe....they went to a local dealer and haggled out a price on one.....came out to $53,300
They call me and ask if i will come with them just to make sure the dealer doesn't try and screw them on anything extra at the end......i say why don't we give the Costco Auto program a try as i hear great things about it and my neighbor across the street just bought a new jeep that way and said even with his haggling that Costco beat his best price by $200. So i call Costco and have a meeting setup with a dealer that's 45min drive away from us. In the mean time i tell my mom to head over to CarMax and see what they will give her for a straight purchase. She comes back and said they offered $16500 for her 2008 Tahoe LS 4x4.
So the day rolls around we drive out there and get the typical dealer BS of stall tactics.....appraise the used truck....go look at other trucks....questions on how we plan on paying etc...Comes back with an appraisal of $14k..........i Show him the Carmax form and he give us the speach on how you will actually loose money with the tax's involved etc.....it all sounded right but didnt sit well with me. I dont know it just seemed like fuzzy math to me but i wasnt in the mood yet to argue it...he raised the trade in ti $15,500.....hour later they finally bring out the "Costco Member only pricing" sheet and its $200 HIGHER then what my dad negotiated himself. Both my parents look at me and I'm like (sigh) ok i guess its time to play the back and forth game.....i tell the salesman that their price is "BS" (and i didn't abbreviate ) which caught him off guard and tell him that the Costco price is "supposed" to be better then anything we can get on our own and show him the quote from another dealer. I tell my parents lets go to the other guy since these guys are jerking us around and suddenly the tone changes from "here's the price" to "what can we do to make this sale" i said you should have gave us your best price not this crap....now give us the keys to the truck back cause we are leaving! (My biggest mistake during this whole deal was not getting the keys back BEFORE the "negotiations" started) Sales man leaves and goes gets the "manager" next thing i know the price has now dropped $500 below my dads quote and a free extended warranty is thrown in. Parents are now happy but i'm still pissed about the whole thing and the way it went down. Lucky for us we speak a different language and they tell me to just let it go cause they are happy with it so deal goes through. Truck needs to be shipped in from next state over cause they wanted a certain color combo for exterior and interior no one had in the area. Dad puts down $1500 for deposit and truck "should" be here on Monday (this was a Friday we were there).....Monday rolls around and i get a call from Dad saying the truck he wanted has been sold but they have another one thats loaded with every option avail for an extra $1k
I was steaming but Dad was OK with it since he would be getting the 22" rims, sunroof and the DVD player in the back. I didn't feel it was worth it but if they OK with it then fine. When the truck arrived and Dad was in the finance office they tried to sneak in the extended warranty and have him pay for it on the paper work....i questioned it and the guy said "well we'll just give you $1100 in dealership credit for any future service work or parts purchases"......i flat out told him that after they sign the paperwork, this truck and their money will NEVER visit this dealership again and to tear up the paperwork and start over cause they are not going to be financing an extra $1100!!!
I'm still waiting for the "how did we do" mailer from the dealership cause they will be getting a nasty one.....and Costco followed up with our "experience" and they got an ear full from me too! They ended up giving us a $500 Costco gift card and said they would "investigate" why this all happened....yeah right!

I hate dealerships with a passion!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I just traded in my 2013 2500 Duramax with 73K on it and got 40K for it. Paid 19K difference for a similarialy equipped 2015 model.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
I just traded in my 2013 2500 Duramax with 73K on it and got 40K for it. Paid 19K difference for a similarialy equipped 2015 model.
That's a great deal Joe.

JRider, it's a Duramax w/ Alison

Thanks for the input guys, going to try another dealer.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Dealers are always going to screw you on the trade in. Hard to get you on new vehicle pricing since it is so easy to internet shop, so they try to recover profit on the back end of the deal. I have worked for dealerships for years and this has always been the case, but it is worse now as the business model has changed with online shopping. I owned an 05 Tundra for a brief amount of time. I wanted to sell it and go back to a diesel. The dealership I worked for was a Toyota dealership and wanted the truck for the lot. It had low mileage and was fully loaded, it was retail ready and an extremely easy sale for them. The used car manager offered me 18K for it stating it was hard to sell a fully loaded truck. I declined, put it on Craigslist, and sold it in under 24 hours for my asking price of 26. In fact, I had it underpriced as I had several people very interested in the truck.

My advice to you is this: take your truck to the local dealer and have them perform a used car inspection, should cost you about $150 bucks. This will allow you to present the truck as fully checked out with documentation. Fix every little item they find and document it. Have the truck professionally reconditioned. Write a detailed ad with lots of high resolution pictures, an excellent description, and ask all the money. List every little flaw you know of. Collect every service record and document you have on it and organize it in a folder if it isn't already to show prospective buyers. Your truck is desirable, your an honest seller, it will sell very quickly for top dollar, probably at least 5 grand more than you will receive on a trade in.

Now you are in an excellent purchasing position for your new truck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.