Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
New to me 2000 excursion 7.3 4x4 >

New to me 2000 excursion 7.3 4x4

Notices

New to me 2000 excursion 7.3 4x4

Old 11-23-2015, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 2000 excursion 7.3 4x4

Ok guys finally got an Excursion 7.3 4x4 stock suspension. Towing a 2000 38 Lightning on triple axle Manning trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes. What are the top things I need to do to vehicle for trailering?
Here are my thoughts: Airbags and sway bar for starters. I was also going to level it out with a block or springs but have the airbag there to level when its towing.

What do you guys recommend or have tried that has worked well for you?
Old 11-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Mine is simple lift (6") with shocks to match, intake, exhaust, and 6 point tuner(tows great without it too)

Mine tows the heavy whore of a Sonic like a champ bud.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are on a good start, but there are a few additional things to really make it a better road tractor.

1. You need to somehow keep the rear springs from warping, and causing rear steer. It also affects how the X handles bumps. I use Radius Rods built by a guy on The Diesel Stop http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/ That is a very good source for Excursion questions, as they have their own category there. Others are now building out their own rear springs by exchanging some leaves for one ton leaves with fantastic results. This requires a longer rear shock, and is on my someday list, as it also improves the ride comfort. (Ford didn't know if the X was going to be a grocery getter, or a 1 ton truck, so they compromised and use the worst of both. Not kidding.) There is very little travel in the stock springs. Brings us to the next point:

2. Change out the front springs for V rated pickup springs. You'll gain a couple inches of wheel travel up front, and you'll like it. Can use the same shocks as before.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

Upgrade to some 8, 9, or 10" wide wheels and tires to improve/increase the footprint on the road.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chart
You are on a good start, but there are a few additional things to really make it a better road tractor.

1. You need to somehow keep the rear springs from warping, and causing rear steer. It also affects how the X handles bumps. I use Radius Rods built by a guy on The Diesel Stop http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/ That is a very good source for Excursion questions, as they have their own category there. Others are now building out their own rear springs by exchanging some leaves for one ton leaves with fantastic results. This requires a longer rear shock, and is on my someday list, as it also improves the ride comfort. (Ford didn't know if the X was going to be a grocery getter, or a 1 ton truck, so they compromised and use the worst of both. Not kidding.) There is very little travel in the stock springs. Brings us to the next point:

2. Change out the front springs for V rated pickup springs. You'll gain a couple inches of wheel travel up front, and you'll like it. Can use the same shocks as before.
V rated? 5000lb? Where would I get these?
Old 11-23-2015, 12:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Upgrade to some 8, 9, or 10" wide wheels and tires to improve/increase the footprint on the road.
What is the stock width?
Old 11-23-2015, 12:56 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by 682gold
What is the stock width?
7" if I remember correctly.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:43 PM
Registered

V rated? 5000lb? Where would I get these?
IIRC most 1 tons use these, and so do some 3/4 tons. Used are fine. A 4x4 shop may have them as take off from a lift installation job. Or, you can buy them new from Ford.

If you look at the sticker on the door frame, you'll see a small box with Springs, Front and Rear, with letter codes in them. Sadly, these don't directly relate to a part number, as that would be too easy. Some folks on the site I gave you have listed several part numbers that correspond to the V codes, and that may be helpful.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Registered

Should I go ahead and do the back leafs with a set from an F250 also? Then add sway and airbag?
Old 11-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Registered

Should I go ahead and do the back leafs with a set from an F250 also? Then add sway and airbag?
General concenses is No. There are much better options for the back that involve cherry picking leaves from the X and from a 1 Ton to get the best of comfort and stability. There's a lot more to it than just gaining height or load capacity.

Here are a few links to learn more about that: http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...l-same-264386/ http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...rchid=17522057 A member there named caryt developed the spring mod, and is welcoming of PM's to dial it in for your needs.

And here's a general link to a wealth of knowledge on Excursions. http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f13/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.