Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
When do "you" stop pumping grease in hub? >

When do "you" stop pumping grease in hub?

Notices

When do "you" stop pumping grease in hub?

Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Good video, but I was referring to new or reinstall.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nailit
Good video, but I was referring to new or reinstall.
Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnH-h3W9XvI
Old 03-08-2016, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by troper
Sweet! I didn't know you had to put gasket sealant on the seal... Oops.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 1,332 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by troper
That's how I was taught to pack bearings.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by nailit
Sweet! I didn't know you had to put gasket sealant on the seal... Oops.
I don't remember being taught, so maybe I would have been using gasket sealant too.

FWIW, I use only Timken parts, including the seals meant for oil bath hubs (two piece).

Also, it is a race, not a "bearing cup". I lost a little faith in the video at that point!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:21 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a race installer for races, and seals - not too impressed with a block of wood or a brass drift.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 1,332 Likes on 743 Posts

Never used sealer on the seal but I don't see a issue with wood to install a seal. Big thing is making sure it goes in straight.

As for the race (errr bearing cup) that is a new one. Seems you could get it stuck. I have used the old race before.

The comment about being taught how to pack, yea that is how my dad used to pack the bearings. Before the tools posted earlier. We didn't have much money growing up and only spent on what we needed.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:17 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

I have a "seal installer" that was made by Timken. I bought it from "Doc Holiday" here on the forum years ago. Bearings are his business. It's specifically made for installing the oil bath seals, and it works perfectly. It's basically a steel rod with a collar on the end, with 1 diameter fitting the axle (inside of the seal), and the outer diameter setting it flush right on the back of the hub.

Truth be told, I've used a block of wood before I had the installer, and still use the block of wood on my smaller trailers.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

TRAILER BEARINGS ARE JUNK! Throw all your tricks out the window and just admit that the bearings, seals, races, axle machine tolerances, etc, are all JUNK! Doesn't matter. I mean look at the axle and suspension parts compared to the rear of your truck, what a joke.

I have a new 51' car hauler (and multiple others in the past) with triple 7k dexter axles and put on 100's of thousands of miles over the years, I have tried it all, replaced often, repacked often, pumped grease through the EZ lube spindle while spinning the tire after driving and warming it up, even checking my bearings with an inferred thermometer at every fuel stop, all bearings within 3 degrees of each other and STILL had a catastrophic failure ruining the spindle just 3 hours after checking. I like all my stuff perfect and maintain everything to the highest level. Nothing seems to work on trailers.

I have tried every brand of bearings, races and seals besides Timken. For some reason they are always on back order when I need them and can never find 6 of each in stock anywhere. I do have faith the Timken are better but there's more to it then that, and not sure if they are even good enough when the rest of the setup is piss poor.

I have friends who have had failures with the "air tight" and the "vault" hubs also, they did cover under wrnty but still a pain. What I do like about those systems is the more precisely machined piece spindle "washer" specialty piece that the seal rides on.

What some don't realize is the seals are spinning FAST on the axle spindle just wearing out. There is nothing you can do better then disassembling, replacing, and repacking EVERYTHING. Pumping grease in is not going to prevent a seal from wearing out, even worse might blow the seal out.

I plan on trying the dexter axles with the Nevrlube sealed bearings next. One thing I like is how easy it will be to change them in a parking lot while across the country without getting messy. They are guaranteed for 100,000 miles even though I plan on just changing them more often before the break, which is what I try to do with standard bearings anyways.

Most trailer parts are just cheap Chinese JUNK and there's not much we can do to make them last
Old 03-09-2016, 07:21 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,132 Likes on 1,409 Posts

I always think it would be great if someone developed an axle housing that used bolt on hub units from a full size truck. Would be easy to change...and no maintenance. Or, am I off with my thought and these wouldn't hold up ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.