Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anyone have the inside scoop on the 2017 Duramax? >

Anyone have the inside scoop on the 2017 Duramax?

Notices

Anyone have the inside scoop on the 2017 Duramax?

Old 06-29-2016, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone have the inside scoop on the 2017 Duramax?

Starting to get the itch and being that Ford stepped up to 440hp/860tq and the 2016 Duramax is at 397hp/760tq I think its only logical that GM is going to step up with more than a new hood scoop...

I'm considering a Denali or High Country DRW.

Anyone have any good insider information? There's some decent deals out there on currently 2016's but I hate to leave any power on the table. PM's welcome.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:47 PM
DFC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not true insider info, but have followed all news on next-gen Duramax I could find for years. All indications are no huge leap past the Ford's ratings, since the 397hp/765lb-ft version outperforms the Ford's 440/860 in almost all real world testing, and leaving some room on the table for future up-rating is typical practice. Best educated guesses range from 425 - 450 hp and 850-900 lb-ft, but at those levels the D-Max will put the hurt on the Powerstroke given the performance gap already.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 86 Likes on 41 Posts

For many different reasons - some of which actually make sense - dealers are often not anywhere near the first to know when the manufacturer is planning changes.

I sent the question up the food chain and while I didn't receive specific data, I was told the planned power increase is "impressive", and by the time it actually gets approval and clears EPA should still be "significant".

I was not provided a timeline, and keep in mind that when the new models (of all the manufacturers) are first released availability is tight and usually the incentives - if any - are not as good as they will be "right now".

Also - Just FYI - the guy I'm getting the descriptions of "impressive" and "significant" would use the term "inconvenient" to describe a lightning strike.

As DFC mentioned, regardless of Dyno sheets, claimed power levels, and marketing hype, the DMax / Allison combo is generally regarded to outperform the Powerstroke in most current circumstances.

This isn't a shot at the Blue Oval, it just "is what it is". If I had a disclaimer it would be that 1 - I'm a Chevy dealer and 2 - we're one of the few Chevy dealers who won't throw rocks at Ford. We were Ford dealers for a long time and sold more than our share of their grease burners. In fact, if it wasn't for Ford having the quality of the product they have now, we probably wouldn't have GM upping the ante on our stuff. Competition is good for the consumer. And yes, I have experience with a current PowerStroke; my dad has one in a a small motorhome and while it's a very cool package, it's not a DMax.

I don't agree with where the industry currently seems to be heading RE aluminum and making the 3/4 and 1 tons trucks lighter. IMHO a certain amount of mass is beneficial in a tow platform or you're liable to get the "tail wagging the dog", especially in a panic situation. Half ton and down, I'm all for it. That's a thought for another thread, sorry, don't mean to hijack.

If I get specifics, I'll post them.

Cheers

s

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

less warrentee in 17

Last edited by ROB FREEMAN; 07-07-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Scagburner
Starting to get the itch and being that Ford stepped up to 440hp/860tq and the 2016 Duramax is at 397hp/760tq I think its only logical that GM is going to step up with more than a new hood scoop...

I'm considering a Denali or High Country DRW.

Anyone have any good insider information? There's some decent deals out there on currently 2016's but I hate to leave any power on the table. PM's welcome.
last year of the 100k drivetrain warrentee . all that new power at half the warrentee .. id pass on the extra power to keep the extra piece of mind .and if something goes south a lot of coin out of poket ..
Old 07-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Registered

ive heard the new fords are downrite powerfull .. break the tires loose powerfull .... duelly
Old 07-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Registered

All good info - thanks for the input.

As for as the warranty goes. I always get the short end of the stick on that anyways. My current Duramax is a 2008 with 34,000 miles so at the 5 year mark it was around 20k miles. You never know what could happen but as long as it stays at 5 years, I should be fine. But in the other hand, I do realize that's big selling point for most diesel buyers.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:17 AM
ben
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Scagburner
All good info - thanks for the input.

As for as the warranty goes. I always get the short end of the stick on that anyways. My current Duramax is a 2008 with 34,000 miles so at the 5 year mark it was around 20k miles. You never know what could happen but as long as it stays at 5 years, I should be fine. But in the other hand, I do realize that's big selling point for most diesel buyers.
You going to be selling your 2008?
Old 07-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ben
You going to be selling your 2008?
Yep - As soon as I figure out what I'm doing. lol
Old 07-08-2016, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the DMAX have a water to air intercooler?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.