Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anybody ever built a swing tongue for their big trailer >

Anybody ever built a swing tongue for their big trailer

Notices

Anybody ever built a swing tongue for their big trailer

Old 08-02-2016, 12:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

If you cut it below the tip of the bow all that metal alone will probably be 200 lbs with the tongue.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
If you cut it below the tip of the bow all that metal alone will probably be 200 lbs with the tongue.
Right. It is a sizeable chunk for sure. Can use tractor 3 point hitch to completely remove if I end up doing a flange connection instead of swing. Not too worried about that.

I just can't stand to let my boats be outside anymore than they have to. I am greatly against shrink wrapping and keeping outside especially the way the wind whips dirt/sand from farm fields where I live let alone all of the blowing/drifting snow. I just need to move south...... My house/barn is very exposed with 250 acres of farm field all around me.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:16 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

If it is just for winder storage, how about building removing the lower garage door panels, and building a "dog house" for the front of the trailer?

This above is a friend's solution when he has to put his Cig inside at his summer house. The garage back wall is same wall as master bathroom, so can't go backwards.

Do the same as above, dress it up a bit. and maybe stick a doghouse over it.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-02-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Well it will be a sliding barn door so that makes things difficult. Not an overhead door like that. There really is no good way to modify my barn. Either major construction project or cut the trailer.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll you're obviously contemplating a lot of work, I would think it wouldn't matter where you put your effort and expense as long as you achieve your goal. With that said, it's hard to tell what the entire situation is from the few snap shots but part of the situation appears to be a trailer that is quite a bit longer than it needs to be. it would be difficult to shorten the front of the trailer considering the angles but what about just moving the boat forward and chopping off the back (or converting whats hanging off into a semi drive guard)? It looks like you could pick up quite a few feet. If your still a foot or two long perhaps you could cut in a recessed pocket in the back wall of the shop for the drives and or swim platform. Kind of a bay window sort of thing. Moving the boat forward would certainly affect your tongue weight so you might also have to move the axles. Like I said it's a lot of work but the end result might be a better product.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

What about converting to electric/hydraulic and modifying the tongue a bit? Or have a new trailer built with all the right specs and brake set-up on it. Manning or Myco can give you their overall length for your boat and you can work from there.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it would be a good idea to try a swingaway on a boat that long and heavy...if something were to happen they would hang your a$$ !
Old 08-03-2016, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
Has anybody ever turned their big steel boat trailer into a swing or removable tongue? I have a tri-axle steel Manning under my 380 PQ that has about 6' of tongue past the bow of the boat. I have 40' of space inside my existing barn and would prefer not to add-on AGAIN! The engineer in me believes with some good welding, good bushings, and pins, the tongue could be modified to swing or just be removed. I have 5' in front of the bow stop v-blocks that can be removed with the winch stand. Not worried about brake lines as trailer will be converted to straight electric in spring.

Any thoughts or has anyone done this? Unfortunately it isn't just a pole-tongue trailer but is a triangular section all the way to the coupler.

I would be worried about the safety of the trailer.....if it was just a yard trailer I wouldn't be concerned but out on the road......no way.

On your barn, can you swing the boat in at an angle? I had a garage once that the boat would not fit in but if I put it in at an angle it just made it (a few inches difference). 5-6 ft would be a lot tougher but if you get into a corner the drives might fit in a corner and give you a few feet.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have built hitches that hinge up and removable hitches on heavier trailers than your boat. I would probably make it hinge instead of removing it do to the weight of the hitch. On my personal boat I just cut the tongue down and moved the boat forward when I went to EOH brakes. Ended up removing like 30" of total length, but I am not sure how much you need to gain.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I don't think it would be a good idea to try a swingaway on a boat that long and heavy...if something were to happen they would hang your a$$ !
Thats true unfortunately... Better have a local trailer comapny inspect it or something. If you ever get in an accident they will hang your azz. (even if its their fault)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.