Notices

Bunk lube

Old 08-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Bunk lube

I am in year 2 of my first bunk trailer and I'm finally getting so I can retrieve my boat without extra dunks to get a good center. But I keep thinking about lubricating my bunks or getting slick toppers.
Boat is in my sig, Supposed to be 4000 lbs dry, I think it's 23 degree deadrise. I can get the boat where it belongs, so maybe I am best off leaving the bunks un-lubed so the boat stays put. My trailer is a nice aluminum Venture with surge disc brakes and alloy wheels. I added some carpeted horizontal guides last year. I think the trailer is a 2012. It tracks great behind my F150 Supercrew.
What's everyone's experience and feeling on the bunk lube?
Old 08-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

I have never put any of those lube products on my bunks. It's hard enough to get that carpet to last, much less putting some kind of chemical on them.

Perhaps you are putting the trailer too deep in the water when you retrieve. Normally, I have my front V-bunks that surround/guide the keel of the boat...
...with about 8" of the front of them out of the water when retrieving. Then I crank the boat into position, and rarely have a centering issue.

Do you have these on your trailer? They are the most important part for keeping it centered when retrieving. The PVC poles just keep you from totally missing the trailer when driving on, which I almost never do.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pay attention to how far you are putting the trailer in, and like mentioned above and come up with a system and a reference point on the trailer/bunks so you can repeat it.

If it's an issue with the boat not settling in when you pull out, pull out slower. A deep V usually settles into the bunks but sometimes I will catch a chine on a bunk when I get in a hurry. Pull up a little, let it settle, pull up a little, let it settle and you should be good to go.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually just getting bunks wet by dunking them is enough, but for real shallow ramps, add biodegradable dish soap to the carpet.

The angle of the ramp affects how much trailer you submerge. If you mostly use the same ramp then you can get good.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dawn dish soap or Lemon Pledge works well. But as stated before make sure you find the happy place the boat likes to settle into the bunks
Old 08-09-2016, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 4,235 Likes on 1,216 Posts

This does the trick. I don`t get out of the truck anymore to launch. Just hit the brakes and she slides off, glides back on like butter
Thought it might be too slick if I ever had to emergency stop..I did last weekend and it didn`t move but it was on the way to the launch when it was dry.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
This does the trick. I don`t get out of the truck anymore to launch. Just hit the brakes and she slides off, glides back on like butter
Thought it might be too slick if I ever had to emergency stop..I did last weekend and it didn`t move but it was on the way to the launch when it was dry.

What is that?
Old 08-09-2016, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts

X2
Old 08-09-2016, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

http://www.surfixinc.com/

these are solid hdpe, larry will make them any length you may need, the special head stainless screws are included

Last edited by outonsafari; 08-09-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:55 PM
Registered

Received 4,235 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Yup trailer glides. Protects the carpet too.