Notices

Buying Diesel Up/Down I95

Old 10-27-2016, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying Diesel Up/Down I95

Traded my '10 1500 Sierra Denali in for my first diesel. '16 3500 Sierra Denali Dually. Doing the trip from Jersey to Florida for vacation and back many times with gassers I just stopped through a reputable brand gas station and filled up. Most stations these days pump fuel but what do you diesel haulers do? Do you fuel up at a truck stop or utilitze regular stations? If truck stops what names to look for and which to stay away from? Are all diesel fuels created equal? I have been fueling up at name stations since I bought her so just figured I would ask.....

Old 10-27-2016, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice rig
Old 10-27-2016, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you
Old 10-27-2016, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I look for high volume stations that don't add $.50 per gallon just because there easy access
Old 10-27-2016, 11:53 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

The ONLY place to get fuel at a reasonable price in Virginia on I-95 is exit 104. There are several trucks stops; and prices are competitive. It's about 1/2 way through the state so you don't have to deal with DC or Richmond exits, as 104 is in the current 'no mans land' between those two suburban outskirts. Any further north, and you have DC pricing, congestion, and traffic; any further south, and Richmond higher prices kick in.

I also don't buy fuel in Maryland or North Carolina if I can avoid it, as their fuel taxes are higher.

I tend to like Flying J and Pilot stations. Typically, if you see the "diesel" designation on the state posted information signs depicting which brands/business are at each exit, they are big enough for trucks and trailers.

Last, don't push it. Sometimes you can't find diesel when you really need it. Typically when I get to a 1/2 tank (factory diesel size tank), I know where I'm planning to stop next. Don't wait for the light to come on; at least not when towing. If you have a tire/trailer emergency/failure; AND you are low on fuel, that just makes things all that much more hectic.

Nice setup, and congrats!
Old 10-28-2016, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Use stations that go through a lot of volume so you don't get fuel that just sits in the tanks underground. Old tanks can leak underground and can get water in them. Just make sure the stations are up to date and that they go through a reasonable amount of diesel. Other than that just change your fuel filter at least every other oil change. This is what was told to me by a neighbor who's company builds and remodels gas stations.

Great looking truck! Are those the factory wheels?
Old 10-28-2016, 07:05 AM
Registered

Exit 4 is VA is another good spot.

+1 on NC

Ken
Old 10-28-2016, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 900 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

I also don't buy fuel in Maryland or North Carolina if I can avoid it, as their fuel taxes are higher.

I tend to like Flying J and Pilot stations. Typically, if you see the "diesel" designation on the state posted information signs depicting which brands/business are at each exit, they are big enough for trucks and trailers.

Last, don't push it. Sometimes you can't find diesel when you really need it. Typically when I get to a 1/2 tank (factory diesel size tank), I know where I'm planning to stop next. Don't wait for the light to come on; at least not when towing.
1. Racetrac stations have been good on prices and usually have good wide access. GA seems to have cheap fuel (compared to Florida).
2. GM fuel lights in my experience can be finicky. I ran out of diesel twice in my Duramax and in neither case did the light come on! 1st one I was 20 miles from home (towing the boat back from Jax Poker Run) and coasted into a rest stop. Bought diesel from a trucker (shake siphon was priceless that night along with a clean 5 gallon bucket!). 2nd time I coasted 500 ft into the gas station where was I was headed anyway but ran of "coast" about 5 ft short of the pump! Worst thing about running a diesel dry is re-priming the fuel pump!
Old 10-28-2016, 09:54 AM
Registered

I use an app on my phone called Fuelbook. It's designed for truckers, and has a diesel pricing section for the truck-friendly stations in your area, or in any state you inquire about. (Keep in mind for a OTR trucker, their area is quite big.) Have found this to be very helpful getting better prices here in the mid-west. Just pulled it up, and in about a 50 mile radius of me the diesel prices vary 40cents a gallon.

Also second buying your diesel at stations that move a lot of diesel. That may not just be an OTR truck stop, but one that caters to work trucks and mid-duty, or in farm country one that is popular with farm trucks, or in WY any of them.

Last edited by Chart; 10-28-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:30 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 951 Likes on 479 Posts

Or get a Titan extra capacity fuel tank and run on a 60gal of fuel for longer! Buddy of mine in Tampa installed on on his Ford....he can make it all the up here to chicago on about 1-1/4 tanks of fuel
https://titanfueltanks.com/all-produ...truckyear=2016

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.