Notices

The trailer thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

No credit card can buy you wheel bearings or tools at 3 am on the side of the highway. I've done a lot of towing over long trips. The more stuff you can have on hand the better.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Here are the pics of the trailer color matched to truck. Sorry for the crappy quality as a couple of them were taken in '99 so they are photoscans of pictures. Found one I had taken with a digital camera in '02 right before I sold it.
Attached Thumbnails The trailer thread-rink1.jpg   The trailer thread-rink2.jpg   The trailer thread-232-captiva2.jpg  

Old 01-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
No credit card can buy you wheel bearings or tools at 3 am on the side of the highway. I've done a lot of towing over long trips. The more stuff you can have on hand the better.

Indeed, over pack
Old 01-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
A guy local to me bought a 47 Fountain a year or two ago. Had a brand new Manning built for it and none of the bunks fit right. They were off in multiple dimensions. They didn't have the actual boat but you'd have thought someone like manning would've had a pattern or done whatever was necessary. Had to have the local marina add blocks, change the bow stop location etc.
I work for Manning and know the exact trailer you are talking about. Personally wanted and tried to correct it but the dealer he also bought the boat from refused to give us an extra day to correct the problem, or we for sure would have before the boat and trailer were delivered.

Last edited by purplesaurus95; 01-18-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a aluminum I beam venture trailer, bought it new 6 years ago. 8 lug axles, nice wheels, diamond plate alumni fenders, eoh disk brakes. I only had one problem related to a break lines. They were extremely helpful no questions asked no BS on the warranty, overnighted a complete trailer brake line kit to us.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I've been researching axles for my next trailer and from what I'm gathering no company stands behind/recommends triple torsion axles of any size except Dexter which makes a standard 8K and a triple torsion approved 8K called a 13T. They started this with their 7k 12T axle but now have expanded it to their line up with a 12T,13T,14T for triple torsion axles.

But two 10k or 12k torsion axles running singles, so the boat sits lower then drw, running 17.5" trailer wheels so far I can only find steel rims rated for 6000lbs each vs aluminum at only 3500lbs. 16 ply 17.5 tires rated at 4800lbs each approx 30" tall. Same height 19.5s are the same weight rating. Have to go up to 34"+ tall tires to get higher load ranges.

I love the look of triples though!

Also found out Dexter offers removable/replaceable spindles on 7K but only with grease bearings, but you could use air tight or vault hubs.

7K weld on spindles you can get Nevr-lube sealed bearings which seem cool for NON boat trailers.

Also looking into other brands of torsion axles but can't find anyone going over 7k yet, but their 7k "claim" to be better torsion technology.....

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 01-23-2017 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Dexter has an expanded line of Triple "T" line of Torision axles
Old 01-21-2017, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I know everyone would say the Torsion is better technology but rubber bands sitting loaded in the Chicago cold weather for 6 months is not something I like.
The HaulRite is still a spring axle trailer.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Gotcha. Multiple companies warranty torsion axles for 5 Years, and claim to never have had a failure. There are many different type of spring trailer suspensions, Slipper, double eye, etc. not sure which ones the best but there are some interesting options worth looking into! I do know that the average spring trailer suspension is a JOKE, cheaply built chinese parts that wear out prematurely, requires maintenance, and are simply just to small for what they are hauling.

Check out

http://timbren.com/trailersuspensions/

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...s/E-Z_Flex.pdf

I'm sure there are other options also.

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 01-21-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the look of the Dexter E-X Flex. It seems that no matter what I do, I always have one or more equalizers squealing...