Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Wide Load, a touch too much, Towing when a boat is a tad over 8'6" >

Wide Load, a touch too much, Towing when a boat is a tad over 8'6"

Notices

Wide Load, a touch too much, Towing when a boat is a tad over 8'6"

Old 03-06-2017, 08:34 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 593 Likes on 273 Posts

Thanks, I am under 8'6. And the only way I am going to CA again is by Air lol. Then maybe bum some rides.
and like you said- I am probably "Suppose" to hit the scales.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

We're 9' 6" traveling down the road which is in excess of normal legal width (for MI) and requires a permit, but not wide enough to require flags. signs, or lead/follow vehicles.

It's essentially an annual "send us your $$ and we won't bother you" permit.

The process is online, simple, and fast. When I did it, the time stamp on my emailed permit was within a minute of when I hit "submit".

However, the annual permit does require a permit for the truck, the trailer, and the object (boat) on the trailer & it's a $52 permit each time.

I have yet to be stopped and have read all the opinions about not needing a permit. I decided to get the permits because it's a relatively inexpensive way to be legal.

I don't want to give my insurance company any excuse to not pay a claim in the event of an accident or open myself up to any potential liability.

If a drunk was going the wrong way on the highway, hits you and kills himself, and his family finds out you were on the road illegally ? The dirtbag is going to be portrayed as a pillar of the community who was on his way to to help the blind nuns who work at the orphanage.

If I was going to haul her to Fl would I go through the process of permitting in every state? I honestly don't know but for my home state it's just way to easy to not be safe.

If you've got enough assets to be able to afford a tow rig and boat that's over width, there's more to think about than just the cost of a ticket.

There's also a certain appeal to handing permits to a DOT officer and watching the smile disappear from his face when he realizes your legal and doesn't get to write that ticket.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Agree, stay at or under 9' 6" and private, your good, so long as there is not a male member looking