Notices

Military deuce and a half

Old 03-27-2017, 01:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Military deuce and a half

Just curious if anyone has ever owned a military truck. I love the "bobbed" deuce and a half. Wanted one for years. Not to expensive either. Just hard to justify. Wondering if anyone owned them and what they have to say positive or negative
Old 03-27-2017, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Dahlilama
Just curious if anyone has ever owned a military truck. I love the "bobbed" deuce and a half. Wanted one for years. Not to expensive either. Just hard to justify. Wondering if anyone owned them and what they have to say positive or negative
My neighbor at the warehouse had a few. They ride like a brick and are as slow as a turtle......but they are almost unstoppable. Downside, they get stolen for their straight axles (to be transplanted to a swamp buggy). His last one was stolen by a guy with a silver Dodge dually and a flatbed trailer (they have it on video).
Old 03-27-2017, 08:02 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Buddy in florida is looking to get one....the thing he is running into is that its not 100% certain if the truck can be run on the street at any given time. The way the law is stated it sounds like you can own it no problem....but to get registration for street use they are limited to parades/shows or displays only.....no daily driving... or in his case no towing his boat around....but hes still looking into it so if anyone knows for sure about florida please let me know

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-27-2017, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have actually ridden in one, and you are 100% correct......beyond slow and ride rough. I'm pretty sure here in New York you can use it/register it as a "Dailey driver". I know a 5 ton here would need a CDL here. They aren't too much money either
Old 03-27-2017, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

They can be used on the streets. There is a pit beef place that has a fleet of them with smokers in the beds.

I've got pictures of a local guy that used to tow his ski-do behind one to our local public ramp every weekend. Something wrong with my picture hosting at the moment but if it comes back I will post a picture.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove a duece from Kuwait to Tikrit, Iraq. That was the longest trip ever. Slept on the hood a couple nights because of wild dogs...so there is that. Also learned how to aim a weapon and drive a 5 speed with no power steering on a duece. Damn near unkillable as far as maintenance goes too.

Last edited by Jay Gadsby; 03-27-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a scary Duece experience years ago during a readiness deployement exercise at Eglin AFB. The Mess Sergeant needed a Duece and driver to pick up supplies , and even though your taught never to volunteer, it had to be better than what we were doing ( setting up helicopter refueling sites). Mess hall had one with the loud turbo and it hauled azz (for a Duece).
While running wide open in 5th gear , the spare tire fell off its mount and dropped under the drivers side rear duals . putting us up on our side like a Joey Chitwood Thrill Show. Luckily it came down on its wheels. The rest of the trip was in silence...
Old 03-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I bobbed a 5 ton for my buddy last winter. Cool truck, didn't get a chance to drive it more than a mile before he sold it. Pm scarab63 he has a good amount of info on them
Old 03-27-2017, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PARASAIL941
I had a scary Duece experience years ago during a readiness deployement exercise at Eglin AFB. The Mess Sergeant needed a Duece and driver to pick up supplies , and even though your taught never to volunteer, it had to be better than what we were doing ( setting up helicopter refueling sites). Mess hall had one with the loud turbo and it hauled azz (for a Duece).
While running wide open in 5th gear , the spare tire fell off its mount and dropped under the drivers side rear duals . putting us up on our side like a Joey Chitwood Thrill Show. Luckily it came down on its wheels. The rest of the trip was in silence...
Haha, funny, I too had that death trap spare drop off on me. We were on a highway in Germany, tire commited suicide, big rig behind me eats tire with his oil pan... there was a lot of paperwork on that one.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 592 Likes on 272 Posts

A guy had one this past weekend in Disney OK at the Big Meat rock crawl- Quite a site for sure!
He was pretty far back in the Sticks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.