Notices

EoH

Old 05-04-2017, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EoH

I am looking at doing the conversion to electric over hydraulic.
How do these units handle a full submersion?
Is anyone not running a breakaway kit?
What brand are you using?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Use a breakaway kit. If purchasing the Titan, you can not submerge it. Mount it high and forward on your trailer tongue.

you won't regret the install after the first time you pull the trailer.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:35 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

EoH brakes is the best upgrade you can do on a sound trailer. You will LOVE it.
I agree on the Titan. That's what Myco installs most often. And everything that ALL_IN! said is 100% correct. You want the controller to be mounted where it will NEVER get submerged. Myco has them about 6" above the trailer frame rail, but I think they could/should be higher, a foot even.

And you do need to have a breakaway kit. It's not hard to put into the system, but you do have to maintain that battery.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra.../T4813100.html
Old 05-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
EoH brakes is the best upgrade you can do on a sound trailer. You will LOVE it.
I agree on the Titan. That's what Myco installs most often. And everything that ALL_IN! said is 100% correct. You want the controller to be mounted where it will NEVER get submerged. Myco has them about 6" above the trailer frame rail, but I think they could/should be higher, a foot even.

And you do need to have a breakaway kit. It's not hard to put into the system, but you do have to maintain that battery.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra.../T4813100.html
+1 on the Titan and on eTrailer.com. Get all of my stuff there. With this Titan actuator, you will also need the Titan brake controller and the breakaway battery kit. You didn't say if you had drum or disc brakes. The unit Sydways posted here is for disc brakes. If you have drum brakes, you need this one.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra.../T4822500.html

Would highly suggest calling eTrailer and telling them exactly what you have now and getting them to list out a parts inventory. Their customer service is excellent. If you're converting to disc brakes as well, I would suggest getting the rotor / brake kits and get them in dacromet coating.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a Titan on my last trailer and it worked great. I have a Hydrastar on my current trailer and it also works great. The main difference I see is that the Titan has a slight lag after you push the brakes in and the Hydrastar is pretty much instant engagement.It feels more so like the trailer and the truck are one unit than the Titan.

You can't go wrong with either and the difference is not huge, but is is noticeable if you've driven both.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:32 PM
Registered

Just spoke with the guys at hydrastar to confirm, theres can be submerged for a few minutes, take waves etc... I think thats who I'm going to go with
Old 05-19-2017, 08:32 PM
Registered

I got this installed! The only question is, why didn't I do this sooner?! Hydrastar makes what looks like a solid product and has excellent customer service.

I got it for $595.00 here, but Etrailer.com will price match 110% (they were out of stock and I didn't want to wait)
Old 05-19-2017, 09:47 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed the Titan on my trailer with the pump mounted within the frame at the winch. Launched 1 time on a shallow ramp backing in till rear bumper just above water, forgetting about the pump. 2 yrs later and never had an issue. The pump cover is solid that slides down over the motor, so it trapped air in it keeping water out. Not something I'd recommend on as a common launch situation. Mount it high. Break away is required by law. I had the MaxBrake controller. With this system, trailer braking was never felt in the truck. So much more safer.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:39 AM
Registered

I have a hydrastar on my trailer. Seems like a solid product.