Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Thoughts 2nd gen "Dodge ram 3500" >

Thoughts 2nd gen "Dodge ram 3500"

Notices

Thoughts 2nd gen "Dodge ram 3500"

Old 11-15-2017, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 150 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Thoughts 2nd gen "Dodge ram 3500"

Not in the market nor least interested in anything but "2nd generation 2002 dodge 3500 ram 5.9 diesel dually".
I think there awesome and the best looking truck around...always wanted one and searching for the right one.
I know the 53 block was something to steer clear of, but believe that was 2000 model year...not sure though.
Can some one with knowledge enlighten me to the good and bad?....got my heart set, but don't mind honest
& unbiased thoughts....
Old 11-15-2017, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

If u absolutely have to have a second gen, I would find a low mileage one,swap in a deleted common rail 6.7 to ditch the VP44, and find a good source for dashes because they crack in the second gens.

Honestly the third gen trucks are light years better than the second gens.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:49 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned 02 ,04.5 ,10 and 14s. I use them for work and always one for personal. They averaged 275k before being sold. Some were run stock. Most of them were done with various states of tune. The best truck to date has been a 02 with injectors , tuner,exhaust and intake. I miss that truck everyday. The VP44s are fine. Just keep a good fuel supply to it.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 212 Likes on 110 Posts

I have a 2000 that just turned over 100k and at 80k I put a programmer exhaust and an intake on it which totally woke the thing up and other than the brakes being a little small for the truck I love it...endless amounts of power comfortable and sounds amazing flyin down the road.....great truck in my opinion....I only use it for towing the boat and other trailers etc...its my work horse

Stewart
Old 11-16-2017, 08:20 AM
ben
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

53 blocks come mostly in 98-99 automatics, but check whatever you buy because they can be in anything. I had one that cracked with 100k miles, although I was pushing quite a bit of power through it. Put a good lift pump on it and you wont have to worry about the VP44.
If you buy an auto I would suggest Goerend Transmission when you need a rebuild. I went through 4 "built" trannies in 20k miles and that was the only one that would hold the power. Customer service was great as well.
Duallys come with the DHD transfer case and Dana 80 rearend so your good there.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Last time I called Dave goerend they were only selling parts.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Appreciate all for the responses, thanks!.....presently have a '02 dodge 2500 gasser Which I guess would have been alright for the 27' Magnum, but now my 35' Cigarette needs muscle in front of it
which the 2500 lacks. Can't afford new and forget about leases altogether so now I'm combining my overall interest for the '02 ram 3500 diesel and my low $$ affordability and found this.........
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Dodge-...222768?vxp=mtr and there's another '02 but automatic (low miles) https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Dodge-...8AAOSwdx1aArna
What's your thoughts on both? and are they fair or unfairly priced?...........thkx for opinions!
Old 11-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Registered

The older manual trans is rough. Ratios just are right. Few years later the better 6 speed was available
i like the 24k truck. I'd walk in test it out and throw down about 19k. If it's clean and runs good. The 1st truck has about 2k in fuel pump with labor installed. Lift pumps can be had for 65$ for stock replacement. You can check the pressure with a simple gauge. With a 6 foot hose on it. You have to check its pressure on a wide open pull and make sure it's not going negative pressure. 1-2 pounds at wide open is fine. 6 is awesome.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by class6
The older manual trans is rough. Ratios just are right. Few years later the better 6 speed was available
i like the 24k truck. I'd walk in test it out and throw down about 19k. If it's clean and runs good. The 1st truck has about 2k in fuel pump with labor installed. Lift pumps can be had for 65$ for stock replacement. You can check the pressure with a simple gauge. With a 6 foot hose on it. You have to check its pressure on a wide open pull and make sure it's not going negative pressure. 1-2 pounds at wide open is fine. 6 is awesome.
Hey 6, Are you saying the manual truck has about 2K in optional fuel pumps?...does that enhance it's performance? ...forgive me I'm not knowledgeable about the diesels so I'm a little lost ....I too like the second truck but find it a bit high in price.
would you say, if the first truck checks out with good pressure would 15K be a good price?........can't do this blindly would need a good mechanic with me before any deal (or diesel LOL!!)
Old 11-16-2017, 05:34 PM
Registered

The pump does nothing for performance. It's reliable and 2 filters. The 1st filter is actually a hydraulic filter. And it's adjustable if your running big horsepower. They can suck a lot of fuel. The original pumps are ok but fail every now and then. And are a real pain to get at. It's tight where they are. I have a gauge you are more than welcome to borrow to check the trucks out. It takes 1 minute to hook up. See pressure ant idle. Stick it under the wiper blade and take it for a rider. The injector upgrade is fairly cheap and take a beginner mechanic less than 2 hours to change out. This is the best option combined with a power puck tuner. You will have plenty of power and very reliable motor with no worries of melting a piston.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.