Notices

Trailer Tire PSI

Old 11-11-2018, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Trailer Tire PSI

I purchased a trailer with both load range D and load range E tires. The LRD note 65 psi max on the sides whereas the LRE are 80 psi. The trailer tire psi placard says to run 65 psi, torsion axles if it matters. Should the LRE's be dropped down to 65 psi thus compromising their carrying capacity?

Thanks for any insight
Keith
Old 11-11-2018, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I personally like all the tires matching, trailer tires should be run at max cold pressure, having different pressures on different axles can't be a good thing, I honestly don't know if dropping the E range to match the D's is a problem or not, I wouldn't do it, I'd replace all tires with the same load rande and make, just my .02

Last edited by blownhammer2000; 11-11-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:42 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Check you date codes on all the tires. Most likely since you have mix and match some of the tires are older and require replacement. Good time to true everything up and match proper load range to your set-up.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

They're all good date-wise, don't really want to junk good tires to be honest.

Keith
Old 11-17-2018, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The right answer is to make all the tires the same instead of frankensteined together but since you want to keep the mismatched tires, I’d run them all at the rated max psi. Torsion axles right? I don’t think there’d be any issue with mismatched tire pressures since it’s essentially independent suspension.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:08 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I would put the E load tires on the very rears and run them at 80. Keep tires the same for both sides of each axle.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

The different load range tires at different pressures will have different harmonic frequencies and cause the axles to react differently to each bump in the road. I would back off on the e load tire pressure to mimmick the reaction of the d load range.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:51 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Well, you are going to get a ton of opinions on this one...

Which axle on your trailer sees the most weight and abuse? Put the E-rated tires there.
I always ran my trailer tires at 5 lbs. less that max to allow for them to heat up while towing, and still not be putting too much pressure in there. That way if you have a tire go bad (broken belt, sidewall bubble, debris puncture) and it starts to really heat up, it has a little extra time before it blows.

You may not want to throw good tires away, but the minute one of those sub-par D-rated tires blows, takes out your fender, rips open a brake line, and then takes gel off the side/bottom of the boat down to the fiberglass...
...you'll regret your original position. And your temper and underwear will be saying "I told you so."

Take the D-rated and stick them on another trailer, or throw them on a cheap wheel and keep one in the back of the truck for "long trip extra spares".

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-03-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tire companies make load/psi charts, so you know what psi to put in a tire for the load it will carry.

Figure out the load each axle carries, and inflate your tires to carry that load, at least. Running more air is not actually an advantage, but running less is very bad. Most of us run more than needed to make sure we don't run less than needed.

E tire are built to handle the higher psi (80 vs 65) so they will ride a bit harder than D, but not horribly so at the same psi. It's the volume of air in a tire that carries the weight. Putting more psi in a tire adds more volume of air increasing the load ability, but if your trailer does not need it, it doesn't need it. Make sure the D's are enough, than run all tires at the same psi, assuming each axle has the same load. If not, adjust psi for the different loads. Lots of folks are overthinking this.

I once had to pull an empty 40' tri-axle trailer to the east coast. It bounced like a basket ball on the highway at full psi. Hard on everything. I kept removing air to get a smooth ride empty, and it was around 20 psi to keep the trailer on the ground. Some folks would claim I should have run max psi, because that's how you run them!

Just watch your tire temps; if you can hold your hand on the sidewall, the tire is running cool enough. If not, better add air.