Notices

Vehicle Options

Old 02-20-2019, 11:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Vehicle Options

Apologies in advance since only by a stretch is this topic boat related. On the other hand, it's not really "boat season" yet and we all need tow rigs, so I figured I could get away with this question in Feb.

Here's the deal:

We've got a Chevy store in W. MI. & I was having a conversation with my managers the other day about ordering vehicles and option content; specifically as it applies to a power sunroof .

I'm a "windows down" guy, but couldn't care less whether I had a sunroof or not & when I ordered my truck I specified no sunroof.
My wife on the other hand doesn't think a vehicle should be built without a sunroof.

Increased phone size and the prevalence of "pads" have really lessened the demand for OEM Navigation systems and video entertainment, but the sunroof is still the gazillion dollar question.

So what's the consensus ? If you were in the market for a new vehicle to tow the boat would the purchase decision be influenced positively or negatively if the vehicle was equipped with a sunroof ?

Thanks & think spring

d

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:19 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

I can deal without a sunroof, but I ordered one on my 2018 Ram 3500. The only thing I didn't put on the truck was the DRW option.

When I was comparing 2017/2018 Ford F-350, GMC Denali 3500HD 3500, and Ram 3500...
...they all wanted $999 to put the sunroof in the truck. BUT, on the FORD, that was the PANORAMIC roof. On the other two, it was the typical power moonroof.
IMO, Ford "spent your money better" in that department. GMC was the same price as the other two roughly, and you still didn't have proximity entry nor keyless start.
That just pissed me off on the GMC. Now, I understand they have fixed that for the 2020 GMCs.

HOWEVER, then it started coming about that the Ford Panoramic roofs were causing lots of issues; creaking, clunking, and NOISY squeaks when driving. I know of a few that were Lemon Law returned for JUST the pano sunroof. (Now Ford charges you $1500 for the Pano sunroof.)

Given where you are, I think you'd be fine going with out the sunroof on some lot trucks, and I say that because most of the trucks that have snowplow option packages ensure the sunroof ISN'T on the truck due to provisions for a roof beacon light. (Legacy stuff from old school; beacon light with a magnet isn't going to stick to an aluminum body!)

Last edited by Sydwayz; 02-21-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts.

Interesting you mention aluminum bodies as that seems to be the new trendy solution to obtaining world peace. I personally still haven't drank the Kool-Ade RE aluminum as a solution to all truck sized problems. I can see certain advantages to less weight in certain vehicles, however in a serious, dedicated tow rig IE 3/4 or 1 ton vehicles that are towing something substantial, a certain amount of weight in the tow platform is a necessary thing to keep that "tail walking the dog" feeling to a minimum. For example; I pull a 43' boat with a 3500 SRW and it pulls it fine as long as I do my part as a responsible driver. I know the math says that my truck's tow rating would be higher if it was 1000 pounds or so lighter, but the physics of that much lighter a tow platform might have their own unpleasant reality, especially when approaching the limits of the tow rating.

I know Ford has gambled on aluminum and I really don't want to turn this in to a Ford vs Chevy vs Ram debate. I'm obviously biased towards the bow tie, but I'm also a Ram fan; I think they do some really cool stuff. I'm also a Ford fan; we were Ford dealers back when the 7.3 was the benchmark. With apologies to Ram fans, the reality is Ford was the dominant package back then because of the engine / trans combination; Dodge had a really cool piece with the Cummins, but to get the big HP version you had to put a manual trans behind it. I'll eventually get to my point, which is this: Ford was dominant and look how long it took them to improve on what they had with no significant competition. Fast forward to the early 2000s and the entry of the Durmax / Allison combo into the market & then mix in Ram finding a transmission ...fast forward again to the present...in the span of less than 20 years we've got engine/tranny/brake combinations in really civilized packages that were unthinkable not long ago. Everyone offers a pretty cool truck right now which is great because if Ford and Ram have their act together - and they do - it means GM is going to have to stay/get after it to remain competitive. The consumer wins.

Sorry to get sidetracked - my attention span is about that of a 13 year old lol.

Proximity entry is cool, but personally I like my stone age key although it's probably because I've switched to a "Bolt" brand coupler lock, cable locks on both spares, and cable lock for our ladder and Yeti in the box. Just my .02 but I think Bolt hit it out of the park coming up with padlocks that can be "programmed" to your ignition key.

RE. the roof issue. The question came up because our non scientific process was if a vehicle was available with a roof, we stocked just over half our inventory with a roof; the thought process being someone who wanted a roof wouldn't buy the vehicle without it, but someone who didn't want a roof usually just didn't care (as opposed to hating the roof) and the roof wouldn't kill the deal. The problem is it's still common to never quite have the color / roof combination correct and you still end up trading for a white Suburban with a roof because our black 'burb had a roof but our white one didn't. I thought I'd post up on OSO and get some opinions because one of the biggest traps dealership fall into when ordering vehicles is whomever is doing the ordering tends to order what they like as opposed to what selling in the market area...that results in some expensive tuition lol.

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

As for the roof...my wife wont own a vehicle without one. Me, on the other hand could care less. I've owned both. It happened to be the right color and options in both cases. Had GM released the 6.6 gas last year, I would have come up and ordered a new 2500 from you but I couldn't bare another 6.0. That left it between Ford and Ram. In the end, I went with the Ram Laramie 2500 6.4. All the options I wanted including plow package and still has clearance lights and roof. Love the truck so far.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Sunroof is literally used less than the factory navigation!

Got a new M3, full carbon fiber roof = NO SUNROOF! Problem solved.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

I had no interest in it when I was searching for my F350, but I admit I kind of like having it and will probably order it on my next truck. Don't like when is opened - too much wind noise, but the panoramic moon roof is kind of cool.....
Old 02-20-2019, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 405 Likes on 241 Posts

I wouldn't buy another vehicle with a sunroof/ moonroof again. My current cts has one and drains got clogged numerous times. My brother and friend had the same car and guess what, same exact problems!!! Seems like a lot of vehicles have this issue. My 2013 tahoe has had no leaks, but I wouldn't still wouldn't buy one. I have a lot of friends in the auto industry and it is a common problem with a lot of vehicles.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 71 Posts

Alot of higher trim vehicles come with it by default. My 450 Limited came with it and I didn't have a choice. I use it sometimes, but not a lot.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't like sunroofs as it cuts down on the headroom and I'm tall.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:18 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

If it were me, and using "old school" GM trim package designations.

LS trim and below, meh, sunroof probably not a requirement for your typical buyer.
LT/LTZ trim and above, yeah, I'd put it on the truck if ordering for the lot, especially on the High Country.

That LT/LTZ truck buyer is more than likely one that likes to have that truck clean for "date night", or uses it to haul a camper/toy hauler, boat or whatever on the weekends. As such, the S/O and offspring will be in the truck on those trips as well. For those trips, the ability to open the sunroof and enjoy the weather on those right days (when you are out towing, and the Corvette is still in the garage); they will get some use out of the sunroof.

------------------------

I've never seen anyone NOT buy a vehicle because it HAS the sunroof. I have seen some folks PASS on a vehicle because it DOESN'T have one; my GF included. I personally tend to like my vehicles loaded to the hilt; including the sunroof. My first car had T-Tops and I've had others with them, so I like sunroofs when they are available on a vehicle model I am interested in too. I currently have a targa Corvette and a T-Top Lincoln Mark V in the garage.

Funny you mention back in the day, to get a "strong" Dodge/Ram Cummins setup, you had to get the Manual trans.
NOW, 2018/2019 model year; to get a strong Ram Cummins, you have to get the AISIN automatic.
If you opt for the 68RFE FCA transmission, they detune the engine about 100HP. If you opt for the G56 Manual trans, they detune it around 150HP.
And for the 2020 new Rams, NO MORE G56 transmission. The last of the gear grinders have gone by the wayside.

2018 Ram 3500 Cummins/AISIN Laramie Longhorn SouthFork that I custom ordered and waited impatiently four months to take delivery of:
(It doesn't look like this anymore though, it's currently undergoing some significant aftermarket upgrades. I'll post pics on my other thread when done, hopefully soon.)

Last edited by Sydwayz; 02-21-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.