Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By VetteLT193
  • 2 Post By Wally

Trailer wiring redo FYI

Old 08-25-2019, 08:07 PM
Registered

My Boat: 1987 Donzi 22; 2008 Donzi 28 ZXO
Default Trailer wiring redo FYI

So my Donzi is stored inside at a high and dry... havent used my trailer in a few years. Needs the basics, new lights, wires, brakes, tires, a couple bunks replaced and carpet. Easy, right?

Mother of God no.

I get a new lights and wiring kit, install. No lights. I test this thing 8 ways to sunday and give up temporarily (like 8 months... kids, lol) I get back to it... brand new wires I installed are corroded from the inside out for the ENTIRE LENGTH of the wire. This was a marine waterproof LED trailer light kit.

a friend suggested GenuineDealz.com for real wire. This stuff is what we used to get back in the day. A grade stuff.

If I did end up swapping to the round 7 pin and if I did it again I'd have followed that color scheme. Why in the hell the 5 pin uses totally different wire color scheme is beyond me. That was another thing I learned. I also ran a ground wire down both sides of the trailer from the truck which I did not have before. There is zero voltage drop now.

Hope this helps someone in the future. Skip literally everything from Amazon and get the good stuff
Sydwayz, sonicss42 and Too Stroked like this.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:15 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

My Boat: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.

Unfortunately, there are two "common" wiring patterns for the 7-way round plugs too. For this reason, I like using a junction box as it makes it easier to test the pinouts and move the wires around.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:34 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

My Boat: Chris Craft Stinger 222

when i wired my trailer i ran a loop...from the tongue down one side across the back and back end and up to the tongue again....i figured if i had a break anywhere in the line then the other side would still be able to keep the rest of the lights going one way or another...
Sydwayz and Gimme Fuel like this.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-11-2019, 02:42 PM
Registered

My Boat: Checkmate 251 Convincor(sold),Checkmate 253 Convincor(sold), 50 gibson, 21 Eliminator Daytona, 25 Sportcraft Center Console

I have had the chinese wire on trailers do the exact same thing...total crap we are getting from that ****hole !!! must be some cheap tin crap tinted to look like copper !