Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
LoadRite Elite Tandem Brake Upgrade??? >

LoadRite Elite Tandem Brake Upgrade???

Notices

LoadRite Elite Tandem Brake Upgrade???

Old 05-03-2020, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will start with another set of brakes on the rear axle and see how things go. will go with Kodiac or another set of what came on trailer. Kodiac was an option for this trailer. Looks like a 10" kit.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:24 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I would definitely go with EoH brakes and brakes on the second axle; given your tow vehicle.

4700 lbs dry is probably 6700 lbs or more wet and including, gear and trailer. Add in the fact that your SUV is going to be packed and loaded down too, you are likely at or over your GCWR.

In the hills, if that boat wants to push the SUV all over the road, it will. Surge brakes only work when the tow vehicle and trailer are in a straight line. If you are in a curve, start to slide, or jackknife, your boat is going to pass you.

I have personally suffered a tow vehicle loss of brakes when the trailer only had surge brakes. (Rusty GM 2500HD brake line snapped.)

Can you say NO BRAKES?!?! Fortunately, I was only 15 miles from home, it was flat land. Downshifting and emergency brake on the truck got us home. For this reason, electric over hydraulic brakes are fantastic.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-04-2020 at 11:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sydwayz:
30outlaw (06-08-2020), Padraig (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I figured 4700 boat, 40 gallons of fuel around 400, and trailer around 1000lbs. Should be in low 6000lb range for the long trip. Short trips might have more gear since Ibleave all the tubing and skiing stuff in the mountains.

Vehicle usually 2 adults and 3 kids so around 650lbs. GVW is 6600lbs. Curb weight is 4750lbs. Add 300lbs for gear to be conservative and I am at 5700lbs loaded. I think they gives a some headroom on GVW.

Let me know if I am calculating it right. Definitely getting brakes on 2nd axle and am figuring out EOH for added level of safety.

I have Cyber Truck on order so wont have to worry about most of this later. In the meantime better safe than sorry.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone that has made the conversion from surge breaker to electric over hydraulic, how hard was the install? I am not super mechanical, but can manage basic stuff. Looking at the kits from Etrailer they do not seem to bad, but I do not know anyone who has done this.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by DESIGNdummy
For anyone that has made the conversion from surge breaker to electric over hydraulic, how hard was the install? I am not super mechanical, but can manage basic stuff. Looking at the kits from Etrailer they do not seem to bad, but I do not know anyone who has done this.
I did it on my myco and it’s real easy. The brake line from your surge master cylinder connects to your new electric master cylinder there is a battery backup and a control unit. They all plug in with weather pack connectors. Youll need to weld up the Tounge of the trailer to get rid of it sliding back and forth.