Received 1,732 Likes on 448 Posts
Question tonneau covers.

Wanna to get some feedback on this roll up cover :
Anyone have/had one?

https://www.etrailer.com/Tonneau-Cov...ID=20211670382
Old 02-23-2021, 05:57 AM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 145 Posts

Wet snow and ice were a little tough to move on mine. And sometimes couldn’t open it if it was frozen which in turn wouldn’t let me open the tailgate. Mine was a roll n lock.
new truck I got the bakflip mx4
Old 02-23-2021, 06:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 269 Likes on 87 Posts

I have the Roll-N-Lock on my truck as well and love it.....but i don't have the snow/ice issue down here.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:37 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 451 Likes on 201 Posts

I use a roll up soft tonneau. I'm not a fan of the hard ones. The newer trucks of all the makes over the past several years, due to design and body lines--the beds have become shallower. And with the hard tonneaus, sometimes you can't even put a toolbox or a gas can in the bed under cover. With my Ram, I had to modify the caps to my race gas cans to fit under my SOFT cover.

I've had Yankey's (y_schmidt) truck at my house for months at a time, and he has one of the hard covers. RollNLock I think. It wasn't as waterproof as they claimed. And it water-spotted HORRIBLY. It looked just terrible.

Maybe that's a better design with the vinyl over aluminum. I hope it is.
My best advice: buy whatever one you choose locally, with a satisfaction guarantee. That way if it doesn't perform as advertised, you can hand it back to someone.
The following users liked this post:
ICDEDPPL (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 109 Likes on 48 Posts

I have had a few different brands and styles of the Roll Lock type covers. There is a reason the more expensive ones are. The differance is in the "Channel" where the covers roll up and thickness of the cover itself that rolls back and forth.
The metal sheeths (My name) are 3 styles, Plastic with covering, Aluminum with and with out covering and metal. As you increase strength, so will be the price. Bottom line the thicker and more solid the longer will last. The covered ones are the best for not freezing, but are lighter, so it is a trade off.

The Standard type roll up just runs in the channel and will need lubrication over time to keep it running smooth. The more expensive ones have actual rollers that go in the Channel.

There is also different places they lock in, some are 3, 4 or infinite once opened. I have always had the 4 stops, they are well placed. My newest is infinite. Just mounted it so the verdict is still out.

The other thing you need to decide is purely cosmetic, some are totally flat on the bed, some are slightly above it in the side rails. (1/4") Too me it has never mattered, but it could be a small issue if you pull a 5th Wheel Trailer for the extra clearance.

MOST important thing when mounting is make it parallel, take the extra time to make sure, you will be glad you did. After the first few hundred miles and then just intermittently, go back and check your fasteners and small screws for tightness. They tend to loosen over time.

I Highly recommend them, they work great and secure the things in the back of your truck. They ARE NOT 100% waterproof, you still get some rain in (Usually around your tailgate) But still WAY better than a soft cover.
Sydwayz (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 08:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd View Post
Wet snow and ice were a little tough to move on mine. And sometimes couldn’t open it if it was frozen which in turn wouldn’t let me open the tailgate. Mine was a roll n lock.
new truck I got the bakflip mx4
Oh man I didn`t think about that good point.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bajaholic View Post
I have had a few different brands and styles of the Roll Lock type covers. There is a reason the more expensive ones are. The differance is in the "Channel" where the covers roll up and thickness of the cover itself that rolls back and forth.
The metal sheeths (My name) are 3 styles, Plastic with covering, Aluminum with and with out covering and metal. As you increase strength, so will be the price. Bottom line the thicker and more solid the longer will last. The covered ones are the best for not freezing, but are lighter, so it is a trade off.

The Standard type roll up just runs in the channel and will need lubrication over time to keep it running smooth. The more expensive ones have actual rollers that go in the Channel.

There is also different places they lock in, some are 3, 4 or infinite once opened. I have always had the 4 stops, they are well placed. My newest is infinite. Just mounted it so the verdict is still out.

The other thing you need to decide is purely cosmetic, some are totally flat on the bed, some are slightly above it in the side rails. (1/4") Too me it has never mattered, but it could be a small issue if you pull a 5th Wheel Trailer for the extra clearance.

MOST important thing when mounting is make it parallel, take the extra time to make sure, you will be glad you did. After the first few hundred miles and then just intermittently, go back and check your fasteners and small screws for tightness. They tend to loosen over time.

I Highly recommend them, they work great and secure the things in the back of your truck. They ARE NOT 100% waterproof, you still get some rain in (Usually around your tailgate) But still WAY better than a soft cover.

Thank you for that .

How much room does the canister take up ? One video I saw you lose 15" of room at the back of the bed .
How deep does it go, I was planning on putting an extra gas tank in the back and I`m not sure with a short bed that I would have room.

Can anyone do me a favor and measure from the back of the bed to the wheel well ,(short bed) looking to see how wide of tank I can get in there?? Id appreciate it .

Seems like at the end of the day with snow, ice , freezing weather the roll up might be an issue.

The hard last cover I had took flight at 70mph. Luckily it didn`t kill anyone.
It was a manufacturer defect and they send me a new but it was not fun.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 109 Likes on 48 Posts

The "box" for the cover is about 10" square. There is room below it for storage but limited. Here is a picture, note, depending on where the holes are in you bed for the drains, that too may hinder extra storage. I have a long bed so not an issue for me.

I had an auxiliary fuel tank a number of years ago, It was made by a Company in Lake Havasu, sorry I don't remember the name. They made it L shaped so it went under the cover box then up. It added 45 gallons and was integrated into the truck with a valve and toggle switch. It's been a while, but maybe look into that.

As far as freezing. There has been a few days where it could be an issue. Basically just brush off the snow and the heat of the sun will generally heat it up enough to keep it loose. Another thing is to make sure you have a small amount of grease in the Channel, this too will protect the channel and keep it from freezing. The lock is a different story, it sits on top of the bed facing down. There is a cover for it, as long as you keep it covered you will be fine. But if it gets water into it, it will freeze. I always kept a small bottle of Lock anti-Freeze. If it sis, one small squirt usually did the trick. Lets be honest, you could just leave it unlocked and you would be like any soft cover, out of sight out of mind... Just not protected by a lock. Everything is a trade off....

The other thing is I wash my truck almost every day, so if it did freeze, going through the wash un stuck it and I just opened up the cover, wiped out the water and it was fine.

ICDEDPPL (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts

I have no experience with the one that you asked about, but I have installed the the Bakflip on the last 3 or 4 trucks that I have had and have been very happy with them. Mostly waterproof, you can run it through a carwash and soak up what little water that gets in with a paper towel.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:39 AM
Registered

I had a tri fold on the last truck and could lift up the back to access the fuel tank... bakflip you can`t do that right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.