Notices

Greased bearings??

Old 07-09-2021, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I do have the EZlube spindles, and for now I have the bearings packed and the spindle loaded with grease, not sure that matters. I've packed them like this before, but after one or two trips I can't add more grease without filling up the hub if I leave the tire on. So I guess I answered my own question, knowing that it is impossible to keep all water out the hub will have to be full to push old grease out. I do like the idea of the pneumatic grease gun although not sure how it would work on road trips, wonder if there is a dewalt version.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaman
Or how about the NON-greased, oil-filled versions?
Anyone?
There is a member on here RT930... he was the oil bath with air pressure, loves them and next to nothing maintenance from what I've heard.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

I believe all the name brands have battery grease guns now.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I just pulled all my hubs and did the full maintenance on them. I made sure to polish the spindle where the seal rides so I wouldn't get any leaks. I cleaned the bearings in mineral spirits and blew them dry then I used a bearing packer that does a good job quickly. I only use Amsoil marine grease as it can handle up to 10% of water dilution. I have the EZLube spindles and with a pneumatic grease gun I filled the hubs. I'm in and out a lot and didn't want too much air in the hub to suck water in when I dunk the trailer in cold Lake Huron. Most of my trips are less than 50 miles round trip so I don't do them unless I notice a seal starting to leak or moisture in the grease. It's been almost 10 years since they were done last and they were still in good shape.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Air tight

Best hub system. no fuss no mess. I trailer cross country with our 400SS...heavy. Never had a bearing failure or water in a hub. Pre launch just make sure the front boot is pooched out a bit.
https://www.airtighthubs.com/
The following users liked this post:
smokediver (08-03-2021)