Notices

Surge to EoH conversion help

Old 07-26-2021, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Surge to EoH conversion help

Thinking of doing the conversion near future but getting different answers. from hydrastar(factory) and dexter supply stores etrailer, eastern marine.
Trailer is rated at 7000lbs
Dual axle disc brakes
2016 GMC Yukon Xl Denali with factory controller system.

Called hydrastar and said factory GMC controller will not work Also stated I need 381-7073 converter, but it's only listed for 07-11 GMC
eastern marine said system works with factory controller but listed on site says NO.
At least they both agree on need for battery break away kit and 1600psi HOE unit

HELP
Any places for best pricing
thanks

Last edited by PA.WOODCHUCK; 07-26-2021 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PA.WOODCHUCK View Post
Thinking of doing the conversion near future but getting different answers. from hydrastar(factory) and dexter supply stores etrailer, eastern marine.
Trailer is rated at 7000lbs
Dual axle disc brakes
2016 GMC Yukon Xl Denali with factory controller system.

Called hydrastar and said factory GMC controller will not work Also stated I need 381-7073 converter, but it's only listed for 07-11 GMC
eastern marine said system works with factory controller but listed on site says NO.
At least they both agree on need for battery break away kit and 1600psi HOE unit

HELP
Any places for best pricing
thanks
My retired '09 and my "19, both with OEM controllers worked fine with EOH. It will work. You probably will need a controller assist module (CAM) to get the controller to recognize the actuator. You can buy either a Hydrastar or Titan CAM or you can even use a couple of electric brake magnets wired in line and it will work. Big long story with GM controllers, but they are supposed to work with EOH systems on '16's and later as is, but some do and some (most) don't. They were designed to work with electric brakes. It's an easy mod to make the OEM controller work with EOH.

Buy the plug and play version of either. It's a few $$$'s more, but it is very easy install. Zero hard wiring. Eastern Marine and Carlisle were the only places who sold the Hydrastar plug and play version when I bought mine 3 yrs ago. Easternmarine was $50 cheaper than Carlisle then. You can buy it with or without the CAM. I would pay the extra $50 for the CAM in the package deal. Otherwise, if you find you need it, it's gonna cost you over $100 to buy it separate. If you go with Titan, they have the same basic thing. If you decide to go with Dexter actuator, you can use either the Carlisle or Titan CAM.
The following users liked this post:
Padraig (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 03:52 PM
Registered

After calling to check hydrastar I don't need the HB-CAM converter. I'm going for the hydrastar 381-9067, but currently out of stock everywhere. So I wait until then.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 82 Posts

I installed the Hydrastar early last year as stated above even if you don't need the CAM converter it is worth getting it. I did not need it but installed it and it does not effect the system. I had to pull my boat with another truck and was glad I had it installed. It is a good option in case you change vehicles.
shunter2005 (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 04:51 PM
Registered

After calling to check hydrastar I don't need the HB-CAM converter. I'm going for the hydrastar 381-9067, but currently out of stock everywhere. So I wait until then.
Even Hydrastar is out of stock? That is crazy.... eTrailer says they will have some to deliver by 8/9, so there is some hope on the horizon. I really hope your factory controller is one that will work with EOH as is. It won't be hard to figure out either way. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-27-2021, 04:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1Zoom View Post
I installed the Hydrastar early last year as stated above even if you don't need the CAM converter it is worth getting it. I did not need it but installed it and it does not effect the system. I had to pull my boat with another truck and was glad I had it installed. It is a good option in case you change vehicles.
Exactly!! I don't know if my '19 would work without it or not, but it was already there for use with the old truck. All I did was plug in and go. Brakes worked like a champ.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

have a 15 sierra 2500 and EOH works fine on the oem controller, also have a 14 Silverado 2500 and I had to install the CAM trailer has the titan EOH system.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 320 Likes on 136 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get one of these.

They are infinitely better than any OEM controller and the only thing visible in the cab is the round knob.

In most cases the plug from your OEM controller will plug directly in the RedArc harness.

This unit has a self learning feature and is hands down the smoothest operating controller I have ever used compared to any OEM or aftermarket.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...c/RED44FR.html
Sydwayz (08-05-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 07:57 PM
Registered

All here and working on install. Anyone have suggestions where I can find a bake hose about 12 inches long with male and female ends SAE? I could make a steel line but would rather have some flex to connect unit to trailer steel brake line.
Or with female/female and I can use fitting.
thanks

Last edited by PA.WOODCHUCK; 08-07-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 145 Likes on 57 Posts

All here and working on install. Anyone have suggestions where I can find a bake hose about 12 inches long with male and female ends SAE? I could make a steel line but would rather have some flex to connect unit to trailer steel brake line.
Or with female/female and I can use fitting.
thanks
I had a local shop make my short brake line when I did my EOH conversion. They had everything I needed and more there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.