Notices

What type of wood for bunk?

Old 05-18-2022, 02:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You don't want to use treated lumber on a trailer. That advice came direct from Myco years ago when I asked them. THEY use regular pine.

The salt treatment will leak out of the wood as water seeps off the bunks, and will grossly corrode over the metal on the trailer, no matter painted steel, galvanized, or aluminum.

Years ago, I had one of my toolboxes get wet on a crappy launch ramp. I had a number of lengths of 2x6s in there, some salt treated, some not; just to use to build a ramp to change a flat tire (negative angle torsion axle Myco). That wood after it got wet leaked it's salt treatment crap all over that aluminum box and turned the inside to a horrible mess.
What if the trailer is never used in salt water?
Old 05-18-2022, 02:45 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
What if the trailer is never used in salt water?
Doesn't matter. The salt treatment will leak out of the wood no matter what wood gets it wet.
Just use Pine.
Or Cypress
Or Oak
Old 05-18-2022, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes, the salt is in the chemicals used to produce pressure treated lumber, it destroys any metal over time
The following users liked this post:
Sydwayz (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Pine and it gets the work done.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Cypress, easy to get. Any lumber distributor can usually get it within a 10 days. I ordered some before, came sized and everything
Old 05-19-2022, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Pine. Thompson water seal it. Wrap with carpet and use monel staples. Where bolt holes go through bunks. Pre drill and seal inside and out. Wrap carpet so wood and carpet can weep. You don’t want water being held against the wood.

of course if you can afford cypress or whatever go for it. Looks like it’s about $6/bd ft give or take a few bucks. 3”x8”x12’- 24bd ft @$6=$144 per bunk. But that’s about the price of maple locally. And teak is $32 or 36/bd ft locally so cypress looks expensive or cheap depending on your perspective and budget.
The following users liked this post:
Padraig (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Why does no one use plastic deck boards on edge?
Was thinking of using them but have never seen them used.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

The stuff at big box stores, I don’t think will be structurally strong enough. They are designed to work with a frame (decking) or as siding again needing a subframe. There is serious deflection, and heat susceptibility.

vs something that will hold approx 14k pounds across the span. Also consider, it’s not just holding it at rest, but what about cornering, coming over an unexpected bump and your load slams on it. You want that load as secure as possible. Could something exist somewhere? Maybe, but I’d be highly suspect and probably very costly.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:16 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Xcomunic8d
The stuff at big box stores, I don’t think will be structurally strong enough. They are designed to work with a frame (decking) or as siding again needing a subframe. There is serious deflection, and heat susceptibility.

vs something that will hold approx 14k pounds across the span. Also consider, it’s not just holding it at rest, but what about cornering, coming over an unexpected bump and your load slams on it. You want that load as secure as possible. Could something exist somewhere? Maybe, but I’d be highly suspect and probably very costly.
I redid my entire Myco made of layed flat 2x6s with plain pine from Lowe's; and no issues at all. It's easier to replace the wood and install new carpet than it is to replace JUST the carpet.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Following.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.