Notices

Car cover recommendations

Old 01-30-2023, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 480 Likes on 249 Posts
Default Car cover recommendations

ReccomeNdations duh !

Picked up a second car as daily driver/split the 3000 miles a year i drive and give the truck some well deserved attention.
Things gonna sit in the sun same as the truck (hence the attention) so i want to cover it and not have to give it the ole shooka shooka psssst psssst in a couple years.
uv water proof vented, whats out there, see alot of 169.00 stuff but kinda sounds too good to be true.
appreciate the suggestions
Old 01-30-2023, 06:25 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

If the car is going to sit outside, it's best to just leave it uncovered. It has to be 20000% clean before you put the cover on it; else the cover will just damage the paint no matter what material it is. Just get a good windshield visor, and have the windows tinted with a good ceramic highly UV reflective film.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
If the car is going to sit outside, it's best to just leave it uncovered. It has to be 20000% clean before you put the cover on it; else the cover will just damage the paint no matter what material it is. Just get a good windshield visor, and have the windows tinted with a good ceramic highly UV reflective film.
You could even get the whole windshield done with a product like AirBlue which will reflect a lot of the UV without looking dark like tint. I've had it done on several prior vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
Sydwayz (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 905 Likes on 324 Posts

we work on a couple of hearses for a local funeral home. both 1972 cadillacs that are still in use. the windshield is about 3-4" taller than a standard car and the heat load was horrible. we had the door windows and entire windshield tinted in an almost clear tint and the difference was huge. UV reflective etc but amazing how much it cut down on heat and glare with out even looking tinted.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
You could even get the whole windshield done with a product like AirBlue which will reflect a lot of the UV without looking dark like tint. I've had it done on several prior vehicles.
this stuff ? They're close to me. https://alwayscooltint.com/llumar-blue/

tires brakes shocks fluids filters points of lubrication are on a rigid schedule because me and that whole walking thing aren't friends like me and canoli's are

interiors a 9, just put new headlights and turn signals on it, truck has 144 thou on it now and theres paint pen written all over front bearings under the hood etc of the miles of when it was serviced is why i bought it. Been nothing short of the most reliable quite comfortable and useful vehicle i've ever owned.

i fell way short on wash n wax and the sun just wiped it out, fenders doors etc are good, just the roof and hood.

Like to match the paint minus metalflake or any medium to dark color that will stand up.

Thanks for the input guys

Last edited by outonsafari; 01-31-2023 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by outonsafari
this stuff ? They're close to me. https://alwayscooltint.com/llumar-blue/

Thats the stuff.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:37 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

Have you considered a Car Port?
Old 02-01-2023, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 754 Likes on 406 Posts

Patina! Covered cars outdoors will start to rust from the outside in. Don't do it.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Have you considered a Car Port?

There was an attached carport about 20 feet long that was added on and in bad shape/rotted when i bought this house.
it was just screwed on, flat held water and caused damage to the house roof.
Put a new roof on and we poured 20 odd yrds of concrete for a 100 foot driveway. and sidewalks around 2 sides of the house.

I've come to umderstand how hard the sun is down here and a proper carport will get added when it's time for another roof

Driveway runs e/w on north side of house but gets sun all day no matter what, no shade by 11 am till sunset.

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Patina! Covered cars outdoors will start to rust from the outside in. Don't do it.

hoping not to hear that, rather a cover scacthed the paint than the sun cooking off the clear.
90 corvette but i guess the guts would rust.

Last edited by outonsafari; 02-02-2023 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:34 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carcapsole makes several models for an inside winter nap or outdoor sun and wind protection. I really like this one.

Last edited by Payton; 02-09-2023 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling